U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2019, 03:57 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,474 posts, read 4,271,454 times
Reputation: 7722

Advertisements

SodaStream flavours always tasted a bit weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 AM
 
6,987 posts, read 4,334,788 times
Reputation: 17968
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I always use Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons for replacement canisters.
Yes, we do the same.

I once got a tiny bottle of grapefruit flavoring for the SodaStream and I liked that. Normally I just drink it plain, though. My husband mixes it with homemade iced tea, or adds a little lemonade. I'm not a fan of cola flavors and while he is, I'm guessing he probably wouldn't like the SodaStream versions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Status: "At least Iím not Matt Shea" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Near Manito
19,597 posts, read 21,088,767 times
Reputation: 14025
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You can carbonate it a much as you want, just keep pressing down on the thing. Once it makes the funny sound, keep pressing it down at least 5 more times.
Does anyone else find this post just a teensy bit erotic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,863 posts, read 24,514,318 times
Reputation: 49859
Thanks for all the info, everyone! Sounds like most people don't regret their Soda Stream purchase.

To exchange canisters, you just take empties to the customer service desk at BB&B or Target or whatever, and they know what you're doing and sell you new ones?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-11-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM
 
6,987 posts, read 4,334,788 times
Reputation: 17968
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Thanks for all the info, everyone! Sounds like most people don't regret their Soda Stream purchase.

To exchange canisters, you just take empties to the customer service desk at BB&B or Target or whatever, and they know what you're doing and sell you new ones?
I just pick out a new one and take it and the old one to the cash register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
39,006 posts, read 56,880,707 times
Reputation: 91884
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You will find that the cost of the refills is cost prohibitive.
^^^ This!!
I love sparkling water and buy it quite frequently, therefore I thought - it will be great to make it at home. I don't drink flavored other than with a squeeze of lemon, so wouldn't care for all the extra flavors. But making soda at home is just too time-consuming (washing bottles, wait for the water to chill, buy gas canisters and replace them), and I would still need to use bottled water (the quality of the tap water isn't here so great and I don't care for the fluoride either). Water stays fizzy just for a day or two and gets flat. Carbonator cost ~$30 and makes 15 gal of sparkling water. The reviews online arent that great.

So, to me, it would be just another useless gadget standing on the kitchen counter...
But I suppose it depends on how often you intend to use it - if you like homemade flavors like mint,
or cucumber, or like homemade sparkling wine and drink that often.
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 12:39 PM
 
7,313 posts, read 2,638,013 times
Reputation: 16683
I got one for my husband's birthday one year, and he loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 PM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,770 posts, read 2,515,316 times
Reputation: 4480
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ This!!
I love sparkling water and buy it quite frequently, therefore I thought - it will be great to make it at home. I don't drink flavored other than with a squeeze of lemon, so wouldn't care for all the extra flavors. But making soda at home is just too time-consuming (washing bottles, wait for the water to chill, buy gas canisters and replace them), and I would still need to use bottled water (the quality of the tap water isn't here so great and I don't care for the fluoride either). Water stays fizzy just for a day or two and gets flat. Carbonator cost ~$30 and makes 15 gal of sparkling water. The reviews online arent that great.

So, to me, it would be just another useless gadget standing on the kitchen counter...
But I suppose it depends on how often you intend to use it - if you like homemade flavors like mint,
or cucumber, or like homemade sparkling wine and drink that often.
It depends on just how much sparkling water you buy. Do the math. I did and found my solution to be much better.

You buy a 10lb or 20lb beverage grade CO2 tank from a local company (Airgas) I bought the 20lb, it's about $120 filled, which includes $20 for the gas itself. When it runs out, all I have to pay is $20.

A beverage grade paintball tank $40 on Amazon. The adapter valve which will allow you to use the paintball tank in your soda stream, about $30. The appropriate valve to fill your paintball tank from the big tank. about $30

Total cost is $220. It lasts a long time, in fact I got my setup about 2 years ago and my big tank still has some Co2. It all depends on usage, at my house I am the only one that drinks sparkling water. When the big tank runs out of Co2, I can refill it for abother $20.

It's a good amount up front but will pay for itself. Sparkling water at the store is $1.50 for 1 to 1.5 liters depending on the brand. I can go through at least a liter a day, sometimes less. I guess an average would be 5 liters a week x 52 weeks, that's $250 a year and the hassle of buying it and bringing it home.

By the way, I don't use syrups, I don't do any sugar at all and I hate diet soda. I flavor my sparkling water with either lime/lemon and salt or stevia or use it for adult beverages like Scotch Whiskey.

There are other solutions by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 03:23 PM
 
12,917 posts, read 7,784,248 times
Reputation: 24472
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ This!!
I love sparkling water and buy it quite frequently, therefore I thought - it will be great to make it at home. I don't drink flavored other than with a squeeze of lemon, so wouldn't care for all the extra flavors. But making soda at home is just too time-consuming (washing bottles, wait for the water to chill, buy gas canisters and replace them), and I would still need to use bottled water (the quality of the tap water isn't here so great and I don't care for the fluoride either). Water stays fizzy just for a day or two and gets flat. Carbonator cost ~$30 and makes 15 gal of sparkling water. The reviews online arent that great.

So, to me, it would be just another useless gadget standing on the kitchen counter...
But I suppose it depends on how often you intend to use it - if you like homemade flavors like mint,
or cucumber, or like homemade sparkling wine and drink that often.
Do you have a Soda Stream or is your post based on assumptions?

I wash my dishes anyway, so an extra bottle isn't a big deal. I guess if you only use disposable dishes and utensils, I could see where washing a bottle could feel time consuming.

The refills I buy when I'm already going to be at the store, so again, it's no big deal. And they cost about $12, not $30. For 60 liters, $12 is a great price. I'm not finding sparkling water in stores for any less than about 80 cents for 1 liter.

My water is already cold, but you could always make water the night before if you need it to chill in the fridge longer. I've never had a problem with the water going flat. As long as the kids is on nice and tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:26 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
39,006 posts, read 56,880,707 times
Reputation: 91884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you have a Soda Stream or is your post based on assumptions?

I wash my dishes anyway, so an extra bottle isn't a big deal. I guess if you only use disposable dishes and utensils, I could see where washing a bottle could feel time consuming.

The refills I buy when I'm already going to be at the store, so again, it's no big deal. And they cost about $12, not $30. For 60 liters, $12 is a great price. I'm not finding sparkling water in stores for any less than about 80 cents for 1 liter.

My water is already cold, but you could always make water the night before if you need it to chill in the fridge longer. I've never had a problem with the water going flat. As long as the kids is on nice and tight.
My son has it, I saw it in action and I wanted it too... till I didn't anymore. It's just not what I want and my post was just my opinion.
The carbonator price was from Amazon. Those two containers ($60) generate 120L soda water.
That's 60L each = 15 gal water = $30
https://www.amazon.com/Sodastream-60...256306-3398566

Looks like you found a cheaper place to buy them.

I would like to explore gguerra option.
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top