U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 PM

12,916 posts, read 7,784,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My son has it, I saw it in action and I wanted it too... till I didn't anymore. It's just not what I want and my post was just my opinion.
The carbonator price was from Amazon. Those two containers ($60) generate 120L soda water.
That's 60L each = 15 gal water = $30
https://www.amazon.com/Sodastream-60...256306-3398566

Looks like you found a cheaper place to buy them.

I would like to explore gguerra option.

That price is to buy. If you already have a canister you wouldn't buy a new one, you would exchange it. It's much cheaper to exchange then it is to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 PM

9,422 posts, read 8,665,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ This!!
I love sparkling water and buy it quite frequently, therefore I thought - it will be great to make it at home. I don't drink flavored other than with a squeeze of lemon, so wouldn't care for all the extra flavors. But making soda at home is just too time-consuming (washing bottles, wait for the water to chill, buy gas canisters and replace them),
I don’t wash my bottles every time. It is only water in the bottle, I don’t add sugar or flavor, there really isn’t anything to wash. I have never seen discoloration, residue, or any type of film/scum/growth/mold...

Bottle takes about 15 seconds to fill and carbonate.

Wait to chill is true of purchased water as well. Or you could use ice cubes. I own three bottles, so there really isn’t any waiting. Every time I empty a bottle I fill it immediately and place in the fridge. Minimal effort.

Buying gas canisters happens when I do the rest of my grocery shopping. No significant effort there.

Quote:
and I would still need to use bottled water (the quality of the tap water isn't here so great and I don't care for the fluoride either). Water stays fizzy just for a day or two and gets flat. Carbonator cost ~$30 and makes 15 gal of sparkling water. The reviews online arent that great.
It stays carbonated for me for a week or more. I have never actually seen one go flat in the bottle. Refill costs $12-$15, turn in the original canister.

Quote:
So, to me, it would be just another useless gadget standing on the kitchen counter...
But I suppose it depends on how often you intend to use it - if you like homemade flavors like mint,
or cucumber, or like homemade sparkling wine and drink that often.
I just like fizzy water. No flavors. Yes, it takes a bit of counter space, but not much. And I have the space.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:55 AM

1,374 posts, read 352,219 times
Used to go through 4 cases of 1 liter bottles (glass) of San Pellegrino every 2 weeks. Soda Stream was a cheaper alternative, even though we bought the SP at a restaurant supply store.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 AM

8,283 posts, read 8,793,197 times
Does this taste anything like Seltzer, which we used to get delivered in seltzer bottles? You know, like the ones The Three Stooges used.

Ever since they made seltzer in soda bottles, it doesn't taste the same. I don't know anyone here in (NY) that calls it "sparkling water," but I guess it is a little different.

You can still get seltzer in those bottles. There's one company left in Brooklyn that recycles the old bottles and delivers, but it is quite expensive now. My mother used to order seltzer every week and that's what we mostly drank, not soda. She ordered it until around 1988 or so. I would love to find something that recaptured that original taste, not the bottled stuff that you buy in supermarkets, which is labeled "seltzer."

Old 09-12-2019, 07:36 AM

3,815 posts, read 3,561,745 times
Yes! We love our Soda Stream and use it a lot, especially in the hot weather when everyone wants a cold soda type drink.

We tend to refrigerate the pure carbonated water and mix it with fruit juice in a glass. I have bought a few syrups in the past; mostly gave up on Soda Stream's syrups, some of which taste okay and others not so great. The one nice thing about Soda Stream syrups is that they use real cane sugar and not corn syrup, and their diet drinks use splenda, not aspartame, if you care about such things.

There are a lot of interesting syrups out there. A while back I tried a bottle of "Monin sugar cane cola" which tastes pretty good. Monin also makes some fruit syrups. Expensive, though. I also found some interesting Korean "vinegar fruit syrups" at the Asian market and they're quite tasty.

Like so many others, I pay $12 for a CO2 exchange at the Bed Bath Beyond with the 20% coupon, about once every 3-4 months. Have thought about getting the paintball adapter which is a lot cheaper, but I'm a bit concerned whether those are food-grade or not.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a SodaStream about 2-3 years later, when they came out with the easy-lock system where you just push the bottle in and close the latch instead of having to screw the bottle in until it's airtight, which I have always found a bit awkward.

I recommend it, if you like carbonated water.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:19 AM

918 posts, read 510,279 times
We have three bottles, and if we only fill them with water, there's no need to wash them out. I prefer to not drink out of the bottle or to add flavoring in the bottle, which also cuts down on need to wash.

I fill each bottle with the cold water dispenser on the fridge, then carbonate. Takes a whole two minutes, then add lemon or lime juice to my glass of ice and pour in the carbonated water.

Two liters are in the fridge all the time, so they are always cold, but if it's a heavy use day (company, for example), the ice cubes keep it cold.

We've already gotten our money's worth in money not spent on commercial carbonated waters, and in gas not burned taking those cans to the recycle drop-off.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,875 posts, read 33,457,454 times
I had one for a year or so. The sodas were less fizzy than the bottled stuff, due to differences in the carbonation process and the knockoff flavors seemed less appealing than the real stuff. I also found the savings weren't so great, having to buy Sodastream's CO2 and flavorings.

If those shortcomings would bother you, I don't recommend buying it.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 AM

918 posts, read 510,279 times
Bo, you don't have to buy Soda Stream's flavorings.

Spousal Unit prefers to add Country Time Lemonade powder. Sister prefers to add Koolaid liquid drops. Mom puts instant tea in hers (go figure).

I like lime juice in mine.

Lots of cheaper alternatives to Soda Stream's flavorings.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:32 PM

496 posts, read 576,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I've had one for years. I wore out one and already using another, I also have an extra unit new in a box. I gave up soda years ago but I love sparkling water. I even went as far as get my own Co2 tank to refill my tanks. You will find that the cost of the refills is cost prohibitive.
Same here I stopped using mine (source) but now I'm going to refill the SodaStream canister and I might end up just getting a 5 Lb tank you will save a lot in the long run.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:39 PM

496 posts, read 576,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Yes! We love our Soda Stream and use it a lot, especially in the hot weather when everyone wants a cold soda type drink.

We tend to refrigerate the pure carbonated water and mix it with fruit juice in a glass. I have bought a few syrups in the past; mostly gave up on Soda Stream's syrups, some of which taste okay and others not so great. The one nice thing about Soda Stream syrups is that they use real cane sugar and not corn syrup, and their diet drinks use splenda, not aspartame, if you care about such things.

There are a lot of interesting syrups out there. A while back I tried a bottle of "Monin sugar cane cola" which tastes pretty good. Monin also makes some fruit syrups. Expensive, though. I also found some interesting Korean "vinegar fruit syrups" at the Asian market and they're quite tasty.

Like so many others, I pay $12 for a CO2 exchange at the Bed Bath Beyond with the 20% coupon, about once every 3-4 months. Have thought about getting the paintball adapter which is a lot cheaper, but I'm a bit concerned whether those are food-grade or not.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a SodaStream about 2-3 years later, when they came out with the easy-lock system where you just push the bottle in and close the latch instead of having to screw the bottle in until it's airtight, which I have always found a bit awkward.

I recommend it, if you like carbonated water.

I just got a SodaMod 12oz tank for my Source It's the largest I could fit but yeah it's food grade btw most people like the screw in bottle type they feel it holds pressure better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink