Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 07:45 PM

6,585 posts, read 5,828,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Why ... what does it bring?
Vitamin B12. Vegetarians have been eating it for years, since they don't get their B's from meat.

I love nutritional yeast and have been putting it on popcorn for years. It also goes well on buttered toast. It mixes into the butter and makes a cheesy, nutty kind of spread.

Mmmm. Maybe I'll make a nice midnight snack right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 PM

16,339 posts, read 12,291,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Why ... what does it bring?
Umami flavor

(Oops ... Tim beat me to it)

Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
I recently bought a small quantity of it. I keep forgetting I have it. I intend to use it green beans or something green. A restaurant I visited last year used it to top roasted shi****o peppers.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:07 AM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
Though I'm no longer vegan, I still make tofu eggless salad once in a while. It doesn't taste right without nutritional yeast.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Vitamin B12. Vegetarians have been eating it for years, since they don't get their B's from meat.
I love nutritional yeast and have been putting it on popcorn for years. It also goes well on buttered toast.
It mixes into the butter and makes a cheesy, nutty kind of spread.
Hmm, mix it with butter for toast...
Since I like the British Marmite, yeast based w/ B vitamins, ha, and have many jars ...I bet
that would be good, thanks, my friend.

Just a story: When I was a strict vegetarian for 15 yrs if my gums started to bleed (not often), I would
put a tablespoon of nutri yeast in V8 juice...next morning all gone!
I have heard about it on popcorn for years.
Meatballs, eh? Thanks...bet it would enhance turkey meatballs.

I always sprinkle a lot on tofu, fried slowly in butter is best - soy sauce or Worcestershire,
onions and garlic ...people love it that think they hate tofu...never cover it so it gets crusty and chewy...use 'firm', always organic.

I'm gonna try it niow on my steamed green veggies of all kinds with a bit of soy sauce....love this thread!

Old 09-12-2019, 07:19 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,238,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Recently, I saw reports/blog entries about the flavoring that Australian's love - Chicken Salt. I purchased some, and I absolutely think it makes certain items taste better (particularly roasted vegies and chicken salad. Strangely, I don't find that it does anything to roasted chicken.) I also use fish sauce in places that would surprise you, and I do think there is a positive difference.

Anywho, I'm always open to stuff that might make food taste better. Today, I saw this article on Nutritional Yeast. Does anybody use this stuff for the FLAVOR? I'm not at all thinking or concerned with the nutritional value. Just the flavor it might or might not add.
I dont use it.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:07 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,341,956 times
Hmm, wonder if Marmite could be used similarly to enhance umami, nutrition and as a salt substitute??

I haven’t tried yeast extract, but love Marmite in various capacities when paired with fats such as mayo or butter toast. It has really grown on me.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,913,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hmm, mix it with butter for toast...
Since I like the British Marmite, yeast based w/ B vitamins, ha, and have many jars ...I bet
that would be good, thanks, my friend.

Just a story: When I was a strict vegetarian for 15 yrs if my gums started to bleed (not often), I would
put a tablespoon of nutri yeast in V8 juice...next morning all gone!
I have heard about it on popcorn for years.
Meatballs, eh? Thanks...bet it would enhance turkey meatballs.

I always sprinkle a lot on tofu, fried slowly in butter is best - soy sauce or Worcestershire,
onions and garlic ...people love it that think they hate tofu...never cover it so it gets crusty and chewy...use 'firm', always organic.

I'm gonna try it niow on my steamed green veggies of all kinds with a bit of soy sauce....love this thread!
Well, recommend a product, why don’t you?

Old 09-12-2019, 03:44 PM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Hmm, wonder if Marmite could be used similarly to enhance umami, nutrition and as a salt substitute??

I haven’t tried yeast extract, but love Marmite in various capacities when paired with fats such as mayo or butter toast. It has really grown on me.
I thought marmite contained a lot of salt?

Old 09-12-2019, 04:03 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,569,333 times
We have used the flakes for 45 years! Our favorite is to put it on our homemade popcorn.

BTW, for those that like a bit of history and medicine with their yeast, this stuff wiped out a plague here in the USA South not too long ago!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4530670/

"He made practical recommendations and, just before he died, identified in brewer's yeast a cost-effective therapeutic and preventative measure. Goldberger, a steady and careful researcher, turned a hypothesis (a reasonable idea) into a theory (an idea that accounts for the known facts to a reasonable degree of certainty)."

Carloads of it were sent down and between that and changing diet, the disease was eliminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink