U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 07:32 PM

656 posts, read 220,616 times

Advertisements

I used to use it a lot in making cashew based plant "cheese", and in soups, and to make a plant based Parmesan (blend cashews or blanched almonds with nutritional yeast and garlic powder, pinch of lime juice).

I became allergic to it last year, like seriously allergic. I get immediate tachycardia, hives, swelling/tingling/numbness of lips and hands, skin feels hot to the touch, queasiness. Even a tiny particle will send me into a reaction. So weird because I used to eat it quite a bit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 11:41 PM

793 posts, read 243,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
I love it. I put it into marinara sauce, salads, eggs, on chicken. All sorts of things. Good stuff.
It must do a serious number on the kidneys. I used it in my "idealistic naive" tofu scramble days, but it was hard on the kidneys and not worth the risk. I'll take salt and butter any day of the week over brewer's yeast regardless of your health. But that's just my experience with it.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:42 PM

793 posts, read 243,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I used to use it a lot in making cashew based plant "cheese", and in soups, and to make a plant based Parmesan (blend cashews or blanched almonds with nutritional yeast and garlic powder, pinch of lime juice).

I became allergic to it last year, like seriously allergic. I get immediate tachycardia, hives, swelling/tingling/numbness of lips and hands, skin feels hot to the touch, queasiness. Even a tiny particle will send me into a reaction. So weird because I used to eat it quite a bit.
really interesting. Do you have any idea why that happened? Did you see an allergist or dr?

Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 AM

25,833 posts, read 24,718,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't like the taste at all. I picked up some vegan popcorn coated with nutritional yeast at one of those Taste New York outlets on I-81 (Taste New York sells and promotes NY-made products) and it was the most disgusting popcorn I've ever eaten.

I love popcorn as a driving snack, but I threw most of this one away.
I don't like the taste of it naked. I use Worcestershire sauce, but don't want to drink it. Many herbs, spices, condiments, are best used as an ingredient in a recipe.

"All for one and one for all... " Alexander Dumbass

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-21-2019 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 03:52 PM

57,886 posts, read 56,097,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't like the taste of it naked. I use Worcestershire sauce, but don't want to drink it. Many herbs, spices, condiments, are best used as an ingredient in a recipe.

"All for one and one for all... " Alexander Dumbass
That's true, but in this case wasn't it being used as a condiment? It was sprinkled all over the popcorn.

Old Today, 09:31 AM

23,224 posts, read 15,142,478 times
https://www.wellandgood.com/good-foo...e-liquid-gold/

I ran across this today. It is a recipe for a general purpose sauce which can be used to add flavor to many things. One of the ingredients is nutritional yeast. Another ingredient is maple syrup. I don’t keep that stuff around, but I do have local honey, so I’d use that instead.

I intend to try this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink