U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 08:55 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,843,612 times

Advertisements

We remember a small round waffle cheese cracker that was sold in the US south 50+ years ago. Packaged in a tube can/container. They were delicious. Does anyone remember the name? We do not believe it was Old London Waffle Snack. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 09:45 PM

6,530 posts, read 3,725,340 times
Cheese Waffies?

Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,467,198 times
That's what I thought of, but didn't they come in a bag?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:15 AM

The ones in the tall thin can/cylinder were not called Cheese Waffies. Several friends discussed this last evening and all of us remember these but just can't come up with the name.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:07 AM

6,530 posts, read 3,725,340 times
I found this quote on Roadfood.com Forum -

"Cheez Waffies were originally manufactured in the northeast by Old London and indeed they were packed in a tubular cardboard container, I remember that vividly; Wise licenses the name for broader distribution. In fact, you can still find 'original' Old London brand in many supermarkets in the NY area (Waldbaum's for sure, occasionally Pathmark and Shop-Rite), although they are called "Waffle Snacks". In fact, in addition to the familiar and traditional 'cheddar' flavored waffies, Old London produces a 'swiss' flavor waffie, which I have tried, but which isn't nearly as good as the 'cheddar' flavored ones.
There's loads of good information on this 'internet' thing, via such sites as "Google" (which kicks up the Old London Foods website pretty fast) If you're that interested, I'm sure you could search out a photo of the old container and then post it here for all to enjoy."

Maybe they had a different name and packaging then?

Old 09-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I found this quote on Roadfood.com Forum -

"Cheez Waffies were originally manufactured in the northeast by Old London and indeed they were packed in a tubular cardboard container, I remember that vividly; Wise licenses the name for broader distribution. In fact, you can still find 'original' Old London brand in many supermarkets in the NY area (Waldbaum's for sure, occasionally Pathmark and Shop-Rite), although they are called "Waffle Snacks". In fact, in addition to the familiar and traditional 'cheddar' flavored waffies, Old London produces a 'swiss' flavor waffie, which I have tried, but which isn't nearly as good as the 'cheddar' flavored ones.
There's loads of good information on this 'internet' thing, via such sites as "Google" (which kicks up the Old London Foods website pretty fast) If you're that interested, I'm sure you could search out a photo of the old container and then post it here for all to enjoy."

Maybe they had a different name and packaging then?
Thanks. Yes we all found Old London "Cheez Waffies" but we do not think that was the ones we had many years ago. But we are old. Hence the reason none of us can pull up another name in our memory bank. LOL. Thanks for the replies and comments.
PS I have just about exhausted my Google search on this subject.

Old Today, 11:40 AM

1,391 posts, read 787,417 times
"The south" is a large geographical area. Can you narrow it down to a state? May have been a local vendor back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink