U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM

204 posts, read 62,854 times

Advertisements

I dont want to buy for fear of wasting money on something I can't use. But i am curious what goat cheese smells and tastes like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM

1,397 posts, read 358,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I dont want to buy for fear of wasting money on something I can't use. But i am curious what goat cheese smells and tastes like.
There are several cheeses made with goat milk, none of which has "goat odor", whatever that is. Feta is probably the best known. Chervil is a favorite.

Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM

37,589 posts, read 46,395,607 times
I have always thought that goat cheese tastes like a wet dog smells. I have learned to like it, but it took awhile. You might try a log with blueberries or cranberries at first.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM

39,104 posts, read 57,001,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I would buy a small sample, some stores sell it by the weight or even let you sample it. You should try it yourself, not rely on other people subjective opinion.
Goat cheese is very popular, especially on salads. Greek or Mediterranean restaurants use it. If you like this kind of food, you could ask to bring you a small sample of that cheese to try.

It taste great in salads and it taste fantastic when melted.
It could be an acquired taste - at first you might say: meh, but after few more times you would fall in love with it.
Given a chance (ethnic stores - Mediterranean or Arabic Food, or deli counters) sell it often in bulk, immersed in brine - try when it's really fresh. The French goat cheese seems to be less strong than the others.
You might drain it at home and soak in a plain, cold water (that has been previously boiled) for a day or so. It will make it milder. Don't buy it crumbled - buy in solid block.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 05:59 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

589 posts, read 122,465 times
As others have mentioned, there are different strengths of goat cheese. The first one I ever tried was tremendously strong tasting and I hated it, wouldn't even try it again. Then, I had some on a salad that came with a meal in an upscale restaurant and tried it again. Lovely cheese.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

2,641 posts, read 1,179,125 times
I think it used to have that "goaty" aroma/flavor but the ones I have tried lately are much milder.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM

386 posts, read 141,334 times
Does cow cheese have that cow odor?

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,089,781 times
I havent tried it in many years because the first one I tried had that goat odor. Same as the odor of goat meat.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

2,789 posts, read 1,769,781 times
I like goat cheese, but to me, yes, it has a slightly "gamy" odor and flavor.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

1,244 posts, read 509,501 times
Can't stand goat cheese, except for feta. Don't like the "gamy" odor or flavor.

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink