Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 01:31 AM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I learn so much on here!

Actually I thought the sifting was to find any bugs that might be in the flour.
Bugs maybe not yet, but their eggs can and usually are; which explains why if you keep flour, cereal and grain based things long enough, you get bugs. This even if things are stored in sealed plastic bags and inside a box.

Threw out several boxes of cake mix several weeks ago that had been sitting around for awhile. Opened one box to see if things were "good" and could see larva wiggling around inside still sealed bag. Shoved bag back into box, took it and remaining (unopened) boxes directly outside to trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 10:39 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I think if you freeze the flour for several days, you can then keep the flour safely in a canister. Freezing is supposed to kill the larvae—if I remember correctly.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:39 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think if you freeze the flour for several days, you can then keep the flour safely in a canister. Freezing is supposed to kill the larvaeā€”if I remember correctly.
Yep, I keep my bag in the freezer all the time. Only get it out to measure and use some.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I learn so much on here!

Actually I thought the sifting was to find any bugs that might be in the flour.
Yes, I think that was part of the original reason. I remember a friend of my brother working in a local bakery (back when there were real bakeries and not just grocery-store sections), and he told the owner that there were bugs in the flour. The owner said, "Yes, sift them out."

Old 10-06-2019, 12:20 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Why follow recipes or instructions at all? Generations of bakers and professional pastry chefs can't possibly have gained any experience worth following, and they're probably just shills for Big Flour or Big Sieve or Big Something anyway. Don't even use a pan (that's just a hoax perpetrated by Big Cookware). Just throw everything in the oven and let it fend for itself. If it doesn't turn out right, the ingredients just weren't worthy of becoming whatever they were supposed to be. Recipes and instructions are for losers.
I knew it. I knew it.

Big Flour and Big Sieve are behind it all. That's the biggest laugh of my day, so far!

However, getting creative and recipe-deviation are a lot of fun too. Especially if you don't have all the ingredients---don't let that stop ya. Innovation!

Old 10-06-2019, 12:23 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I think that was part of the original reason. I remember a friend of my brother working in a local bakery (back when there were real bakeries and not just grocery-store sections), and he told the owner that there were bugs in the flour. The owner said, "Yes, sift them out."
That's funny. Yet disconcerting. Seems microscopic bugs are in all our food.

I once microwaved some rice, and when I looked through the window mid-cook, I saw several wormy creatures standing up and waving at me.

Blech!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:10 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's funny. Yet disconcerting. Seems microscopic bugs are in all our food.

I once microwaved some rice, and when I looked through the window mid-cook, I saw several wormy creatures standing up and waving at me.

Blech!
Mine came in a packet of cream of leek soup. Yum, yum, it's even got pieces of... larva! I had to run and brush my teeth.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I was under the impression that sifting was to aerate the flour. I do not recall ever hearing that one sifted to get rid of weevils or larvae, and I've never, ever seen those after sifting. I do suspect that the recipes called for sifting to make sure that the flour measured consistently in every recipe, for every cook. But this is only a guess on my part.

In the very olden days, women did not use standardized measuring cups or spoons either. I imagine there was a lot of variation between cooks, even when using the same recipes.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:50 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Although I keep my flour in the freezer because of bugs, I also think that sifting aerates the flour, and if you measure a cup, then sift it, you've got more than a cup (quantity). For this reason, the old British recipes which call for 6 oz (in weight) of flour are more accurate. Weight is weight, no matter whether you sift or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink