U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

454 posts, read 165,386 times

Advertisements

Hey all a bit of questions. I have an Aroma rice cooker bought about 2-3 years ago. When i first got it, it worked great. As of now, it still works. I use it to cook white rice and brown rice. Thus put rice in it, use some water to wash it a bit, then put water on the rice. Then press either white or brown rice and let it cook.

White rices takes 30 minutes or so and you suppose to wait another 10 minutes after you hear the beeping done sound. Brown rice takes longer... its about 1 hour or so and you suppose to wait another 10 minutes after you hear beeping sound.

This is like my 3rd rice cooker in the last few years. Now these things are not expensive, like 50 dollars or so. And i cook rice almost everyday.

The thing is im not a clean guy. After im done eating, i sometimes don't wash dishes till much later. Sometimes i leave it overnight. Yes i know thats bad.

But with the rice cooker, i just clean it with a sponge with water on the inside. I sometimes use liquid soap on it but i been very lazy with it. I noticed that when you look at the lid of the aroma rice cooker, the inside of it where you take out the rice cooker pot, its really dirty around the entire inside. Like its burned etc. Also the lid where you close the rice cooker... its really dirty as in yellowish and stained. I never really cleaned that part of it besides just wiping it with some water etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 386,658 times
So scrub it? I use a steel scrubber on mine (carefully). This isn't rocket science.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

As for the rice cooker, it still works. My question though is... is it safe to keep using this rice cooker if its really dirty in the inside of it? Like if you look at the part where you close the rice cooker... like the part where its like the ceiling inside the rice cooker if you close the rice cooker... its really dirty/brownish etc. Does that have any health affects at all when using this rice cooker?

The other question I have is this. When I was in the US, i used a rice cooker as well. I would eat brown rice quite a bit and noticed the brown rice taste very good. The rice cooker was not exactly an expensive one... it was average. This was years ago. I'm currently outside of the US at the moment.

But when i cook the brown rice, it tastes nothing like the brown rice back in the US.

Does anyone know how that is possible? Years ago when i ate brown rice in the US and used a rice cooker, the brown rice was delicious. . It doesn't even taste like brown rice. So what is the reason for this? Is it possible the brown rice i bought in the US years ago was very good quality which is why it taste so good? But the brown rice i get in different country doesn't taste the same?

And the brown rice taste... virtually no taste at all. So i thought okay no way the rice cooker is damaged since i got it new. But im curious if anyone has a clue on this. I haven't cooked brown rice in the US in years with a rice cooker... so im still confused if brown rice is suppose to taste the way it does now... and the brown rice i got in the US was some really tasty brown rice or something like that.

I will post some pictures soon of it and know all of you will say its really dirty/disgusting. But the important question i have is... is it safe healthwise to continue using it as long as it can still cook white rice and brown rice well. I will most likely buy a new rice cooker but wanted to know if there is any issue healthwise if a rice cooker that is moldy/dirty can still be used to cook rice.

Last edited by ericjustin2; Yesterday at 09:13 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Okay i can use a steel scrubber. But do i just clean it with water or use like liquid soap with it?

I will post some pictures of it so you guys can take a look. But curious if health wise, is it still safe to use or not.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

Hi there i will post some pictures of it soon. I took some before pictures of how it look right after i made some white rice to show how dirty it looks.

But i just took the advice of k12 and used a steel scrubber... and wow it did clean a lot of that mold/brown spot quite a bit. When you say use it carefully, what do you mean? Obviously you put water on the steel scrubber right? I have these and bought it actually not that long ago, i previously only used those sponges. I wet the steel scrubber with water and it seem to clean a bit out.

But should you use liquid soap on it?

Old Today, 07:39 AM

15,387 posts, read 19,576,921 times
Is it safe to use? I'm sorry, but from the sound of it, it's likely not safe to eat anything coming out of your kitchen.

Post pictures? Please noooooo!Dr

ETA: Aren't you the same guy who didn't have hot water for several months?????

Old Today, 09:06 AM
Status: "Don't get confused between my personality " (set 12 days ago)

39,452 posts, read 57,408,948 times
Cooking using filthy pots is probably safe (the high temperature will kill germs) but eating stuff cooked in filthy, rusty pots is so unappetising that just thinking about it makes me gag.
You are a slob and eat from filthy dishes, using filthy utensils.
I remember from your other threads that your maid is washing your pots, dishes and food areas with the same rag she is washing floors and you live in extremely filthy apartment.
So, why are you even bothered by a filthy rice pot?

Note: yes - OP is the same guy who didn't have hot water, posted pictures of his nasty sinks and faucets, and told us about the mold in his apartment.
So, no... I don't think we want to see any more if his filthy living style...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or