Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 04:26 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Chains are more likely to sell pre-made warmed up food than local family businesses, however there are some other signs, and of course guides and reciews are also useful.

Signs you're eating pre-made food at a restaurant - Mashed

The French actually brought in a law in 2014 and a new logo in the shape of a saucepan displayed on the window of a restaurant, that can only be displayed by establishments that cook their own home made food using fresh ingredients. The French idea is actually a good one and perhaps more countries should adopt similar schemes.

Yeah, no brainer. If your food arrives very fast after you order it - it's clear that some of the ingredients were already made in advance or frozen/prepared food was used.
If you cook at home, you should have some idea how long it take to prepare it.
I am aware that rice/noodle/potatoes, soups and gravy is most likely always preparted in advance, but salads, veggies and main dish (some meat or fish could be prepared to order - mostly thin pieces that could be panfried, or grilled). However, do not expect that anything complicated like a roast, ribs, stew, lasagna, pizza made from scratch, risotto etc to be cooked to order.
Preparing most wild meats (like Pheasant, deer, boar, etc) takes up to 24 hrs. Anything marinated, BBQued, roasted or braised is made ahead.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:19 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I have a highly restricted diet — due to chronic pancreatitis, I try to eat as low-fat as humanly possible. This makes my choices at restaurants quite limited. Sometimes (like the past two weeks) even plain grilled chicken breast is too fatty for me. At an airport seafood restaurant recently, I resorted to shrimp cocktail (plain shrimp is very low fat) plain steamed rice and a green salad with no dressing. Why bother eating out, right?

However, a couple of nights ago in Tampa FL, I had a pleasant surprise at a restaurant. I told them about my restrictions and the server said she would consult with their chef. She came back and indicated that they could make most of the items on the menu for me leaving out the fatty ingredients and without added fat, oil, butter etc. So, instead of something really basic, I had squid ink pasta with fennel, peppers and garlic in some kind of delicious tomato based broth while my husband had grilled scallops. My dish was wonderful and my husband said the scallops were great. With tip, the bill came to $70. Quite reasonable!

My question is: Is there any way to know ahead of time whether or not a restaurant actually has a chef and cooks things from scratch (and so has the flexibility to customize orders)? I mean —- is there way to know without actually calling each restaurant ahead of time and asking?
Call ahead and ask the manager or chef?

Old 12-30-2019, 06:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I agree with the advise that you call ahead. Of course it is a no brainer, the smaller independent restaurants are more likely to cook from scratch but even they will, from time to time use prepared foods. It isn't going to be easy to find dining places that do prepare all their own foods. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:09 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you have a life threatening illness you actually trust your life on restaurant's being honest with their ingredients? I don't even trust 90% of food labels of groceries in the supermarket.
In my case it’s not life threatening.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:04 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
In my case it’s not life threatening.
My son had a bout with acute pancreatitis (including an 8 day hospitalization and a weight drop of 35 pounds, which put him at a BMI of 17) - since his job has him traveling quite a bit, he ends up eating out, whether he wants to or not. For "faster" food, he tends to eat things like pho (he just doesn't eat the fatty meat, although he knows it flavors the broth), or places like Chipotle where he can pick from items for his plate. Fortunately for him, spicy food don't seem to be an issue, just very fatty things. He is restricted to between 25-35 grams of fat a day and breakfast is usually a higher calorie, high protein shake - he is still trying to put weight back on.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-30-2019, 02:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
I have a highly restricted diet

My question is: Is there any way to know ahead of time whether or not a restaurant actually has a chef and cooks things from scratch (and so has the flexibility to customize orders)? I mean —- is there way to know without actually calling each restaurant ahead of time and asking?
Yes, ask the chef, explain to the server that you have a food allergy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Chains are more likely to sell pre-made warmed up food than local family businesses, however there are some other signs, and of course guides and reciews are also useful.

]
Completely not true.

Most all fast casual restaurants, even Outback or Chilis are scratch kitchens and make everything on site. Wendys makes the chili from scratch, Chick Fil A makes their soup from scratch, etc.

The only thing restaurants use frozen, for the most part are french fries.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:09 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Blueherons, how does Chick-fil-A make their soup from scratch? Is it prepared in commercial kitchens regionally for a group of restaurants, or do they assemble ingredients in the restaurant?

Old 12-30-2019, 09:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Blueherons, how does Chick-fil-A make their soup from scratch? Is it prepared in commercial kitchens regionally for a group of restaurants, or do they assemble ingredients in the restaurant?
Nope, it is made in every single Chick Fil A from scratch. They also do not use frozen chicken.

The only thing Chick Fil A makes in a regional kitchen are their seasonings.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Completely not true.

Most all fast casual restaurants, even Outback or Chilis are scratch kitchens and make everything on site. Wendys makes the chili from scratch, Chick Fil A makes their soup from scratch, etc.

My son in law was in the restaurant business for years. I think you are totally mistaken on chain restaurants and cooking from scratch. In fact I know you are not completely correct. There are exceptions to all situations but the majority of chains do use a high percentage of prepared foods; We are not talking about 1 or 2 items, we are talking about overall.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:14 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Completely not true.

Talk to the manager next time you go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink