Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 08:09 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times

Advertisements

I must be the lowest of the low.

I cut lettuce with a knife. But it's very, very sharp so is that better, or (gasp) worse?
I steal and eat cherries to taste test without washing them first. Would spitting on them be better, or is that a grand no-no?
I pick up and eat even wet foods from the kitchen floor using the 15 second rule. But my floors are so clean I sometimes go longer. I live on the edge.
I crack raw eggs on the rim of the mixing bowl or frying pan... then plop them right in!
I eat raw beef and haven't died yet. Haven't gotten even slightly 'off'.
I know, I am an animal.

Now you tell me I shouldn't freeze my coffee beans?
MY BEANS ARE FROZEN SOLID!
Please turn away... I am hideous.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I must be the lowest of the low.

I cut lettuce with a knife. But it's very, very sharp so is that better, or (gasp) worse?
I steal and eat cherries to taste test without washing them first. Would spitting on them be better, or is that a grand no-no?
I pick up and eat even wet foods from the kitchen floor using the 15 second rule. But my floors are so clean I sometimes go longer. I live on the edge.
I crack raw eggs on the rim of the mixing bowl or frying pan... then plop them right in!
I eat raw beef and haven't died yet. Haven't gotten even slightly 'off'.
I know, I am an animal.

Now you tell me I shouldn't freeze my coffee beans?
MY BEANS ARE FROZEN SOLID!
Please turn away... I am hideous.
Join the club. We are living on the edge, I tell you.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think the danger is in the raw fruits and vegetables, especially ones that endure a lot of chopping.

If you cook your chicken and then place it on a clean plate, you're going to be fine.

It's reusing a knife that was used to cut the chicken, to cut the vegetables you plan to serve raw. OR not thoroughly washing parsley that you plan to serve raw. (Why does parsley come with dirt on it? Hardly any other herbs/vegetables have so much dirt).
You can pick up salmonella from handling raw poultry, apparently. My bout happened after I had made turkey chilli. No one else got sick. I think I picked up bacteria on my hands and then touched my face around my mouth. I had another bout years later, after handling raw beef. I am conscientious now about. washing my hands during food prep.

I also wash my knife between chopping chores with detergent. Food poisoning is no fun. And I run my cutting boards, even the wood one, through the dishwasher.

I don’t wash my kitchen down with bleach though.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:05 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I do many, if not most, of the things mentioned and another one is I don't wait until water is at a roiling boil before putting in the pasta....first small bubbles are good enough.
I can't, however, bring myself to leaving most foods out for hours/overnight.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:41 AM

1,198 posts, read 660,824 times
I probably break all kinds of rules, but one that comes to the top of my head is not leveling off flours, baking powder etc from my measuring spoon/cup. I'm too impatient for that kind of detail lol. I've had very successful results without exactness, though if I follow a gluten free recipe I tend to be more strict.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:54 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I thought of another set of rules I break. I don’t do all that rigamarole with iron skillet maintenance. I put my grill pan in the dishwasher from time to time, and after it comes out, I spray it with PAM and resume use.

My other skillets just get wiped out after use. I do nothing extra to the one that I bake cornbread in. I have one difficult newer iron skillet that simply does not ever retain any sort of seasoning. I think I am going to give that one to Goodwill.
I not only wash my cast iron pans, but sometimes soak them if they need it. No ill effects.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Not drinking while cooking
Now that is the best one. I learned to cook from my dad who rarely cooked with out a drink in his hand or on the counter. When I am getting dinner on the table my wine glass assists me.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
There are people who cook without drinking ?? Who are these strange beings?

I have figured out that most of the 'rules' of cooking are total BS.
You do NOT have to sear meat prior to braising. I've done it both ways -- no big difference.
Tearing vs chopping/cutting lettuce? -- give me a break.
Disinfecting utensils when preparing poultry? -- sorry, I'm not a dentist or a surgeon.
Thawing in the fridge? Counter top works much better for me.

I routinely leave leftovers on the counter (yes, even poultry) and have them for dinner the following night.
I'm 70 and I haven't been sick from food related issues EVER.
can't rep you again,but you are right on!!!

Old 01-03-2020, 07:44 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I rinse raw poultry, ignore best by/use by/sell by dates, cut lettuce, sometimes forget to wash vegetables/fruit, and will not use bleach in the kitchen.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:44 AM

82 posts, read 64,227 times
My mother would eat raw chopmeat when I was growing up.

I eat raw cookie dough.

I always cut my lettuce/greens, I use the chop-chop from Pampered chef.

I don't sear meat either, there is really no reason to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink