Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Oyster sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's some good to know info. Wikipedia is wrong, yet again. It says it's made with oysters, or oyster extract or something. Tastes good as heck in soups and stir fries.
To clarify, oyster sauce is made with oyster flavor, or oyster extract, but there are no oysters in the bottle. That's what I was referring to.

Lobster sauce, same same. At some point somebody probably made a mild sauce to pour over lobster, so they named it "lobster sauce," and later they started using it on other things, like shrimp.

As Wikipedia says... "The sauce itself does not contain any lobster, and may vary in preparation method from place to place or restaurant to restaurant. However, it will typically contain chicken broth, garlic, ginger, fermented black beans, and eggs, and is thickened with cornstarch." Lobster sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Exactly. Oyster sauce tastes like oysters because there's some form of oyster in it. (Unless it's vegetarian oyster sauce, then it's just flavored with mushrooms. Sometimes, even oyster mushrooms.) The "lobster sauce" didn't taste like lobster. It tasted like cheap egg drop soup. Deception. It's part of the game. Like "home made soup of the day" which came from Costco in a can, and had some fresh carrots added to it. That's an old restaurant trick.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I got a new job, been here about 10 weeks now. Every so often the office will order from various local restaurants and ask if we want to order anything. I've done it twice. One, was for some place and I ordered a "Philly cheese steak" for like 9 bucks and it came with a whole wheat roll, tomato and mayo. Take a look at this picture.
Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich, How To Make A Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich, History of Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich

It looked absolutely nothing like that picture. It had lettuce on it, too. Wait, it did have a long bun. That's where the similarities end. It had enough steak on it to perhaps please a small, 2 day old puppy. Maybe.

I like Chinese food so they ordered some Chinese food the other day and I got the "Shrimp in lobster sauce." There was no lobster in my sauce. There was an egg in some cornstarch thickened water though. I hate to say this, but I got like 8 shrimp and 2 quarts of "somewhat Asian flavored egg drop soup" with some chunks of soft carrot and bell pepper bits in it.

Was just wondering if anyone else had ordered something and expected it to be something... Say a lobster sauce that actually tasted of lobster...and were like, "This ain't right." Kind of like that Philly sandwich. I have to admit I heard one of my co-workers order the same sandwich and I heard him say "and no mayo." I thought that was kind of weird. They don't come with mayo, bro." is what I was thinking. I did look up the recipe for shrimp and lobster sauce later and found out that lobster sauce used to be flavored with lobster", but not any more. The more you know, I reckon. Guess that's just my fault for reading "lobster" and thinking, "It will taste like lobster." Wonder how many other misnamed items are out there.
Haven't we all done this, more times than not? I find it particularly true with ordering out and having the food delivered and even more so, in the situation like you are referring too. those restaurants know people will keep coming back cause it is so convenient.. Order, have it delivered, sit down with friends and eat. OK, so the food isn't gourmet and not what was expected, but you probably ate it. I know, it used to happen to me when I was still working. Heck, when it comes to the amount of beef on your sandwich se had the same experience at Outback last Sunday. I could hardly find the beef on my sandwich. I might be old, but I am not blind and there was almost none...you bet I was ticked. Will I go back? Probably. Will I order prime rib sandwich again? Not on your life.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
UGH! Mayo on a Philly cheesesteak. With tomatoes and lettuce to boot. My stomach just recoiled.

I went to a Thai place a few years ago, one that I'd never been to before. I ordered pad se ew, which is always always ALWAYS always in a thick, SWEET soy sauce. When the waitress asked if I wanted it very spicy, little bit spicy, or not spicy at all, I knew that I'd never go back there again. Pad se ew is never spicy, not even a little bit.

I love spicy Thai food, don't get me wrong, but don't add spice where it doesn't belong. Her question was like asking how much sriracha sauce I wanted on a chocolate chip cookie.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
In reference to the Philly Cheese Steak, I do have to say that I have found places that serve what they call a Philly Cheese Steak Hoagie (or Sub) and if that's what you order, you'll get the lettuce, tomato etc.

As a side note, I won't order a Philly Cheese Steak anywhere. It's never what I want it to be so I make my own at home. Steak, Provolone or American cheese, sauteed onions. The secret is a decent roll. That covers up for some mistakes. But mayo? OMG!

The Lobster sauce thing is just as described by several posters. No lobster. It's a sauce that was developed to serve OVER lobster. Ordering Chinese food is tricky because if you've never had the item, you have no idea. I suggest you go to a buffet and sample a couple of things you've never had before. Then, when looking at a take-out menu, you have a point of reference for some of the dishes. And even then, each restaurant has their own recipe.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I recall being somewhere recently and ordering a Philly Cheesesteak and being asked if I wanted lettuce, tomatoes and mayo. I was totally repulsed at the thought. That might be a steak sandwich, but not a Philly Cheesesteak!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
We tried out the meatloaf with eggs yesterday and it turned out very well, boiled 3 eggs until they were just set enough to peel the shells off, made the usual meatloaf mix, put half in the dish then arranged the eggs in a row along the middle then put the other half of the mix on top and formed into a loaf shape (hubby makes free form meatloaf not in a loaf pan) cooked for around an hour. It was very tasty and the boiled eggs definitely added something to it. No photos as family were here for dinner and it disappeared pretty quick !
Another win for Pinterest.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Wish I had a bucket of fried chicken right now....

Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
We ate Pollo Campero Saturday night - that's good chicken.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
That's good to know. I just saw one of those places in the past couple of days and I wondered about it. Thanks!
I'll google them now.

EDIT: Wow. I just googled them. No thank you! That's not for me, for sure! I don't do tortillas or rice or black beans or plantains....

I don't do Cuban or Latin anything! Yuck!
BUT, I'm glad you enjoyed!

What was the chicken like?

Last edited by rainroosty; 04-30-2013 at 03:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink