Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No more watching food shows, they make me hungry. Saw a show today about making doughnuts, and wanted one... Good thing about living in a rural area, would only be a 45 minute drive to town, and no decent doughnuts here anyway. No doughnut shops in town. Nasty Wal Mart doughnuts don't cut it.

Too lazy to make any. Sigh. In a big city there are doughnut stores on every corner.
doughnuts have got a bad rap in the last decade- rightfully so, full of fat and sugar,,,but, i do miss eating them,,,so good!!

ill once in a while go into a dunkin donuts, order a coffee, and there, in front of me, are my fav. creme-filled donuts.. ill look at them, and usually not buy one...but once in a great while i do, and its soooo damn good!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
I haven't had a donut in ages, but I've been asked to order some for a morning event we're having in a few weeks. I'm told there is a really good vendor we ordered from in the past at my work and they were a huge hit. I'm going to have to try one!

Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Holy Moley, listen to this. I just talked to my sister in Massachusetts and she told me that recently she bought fresh lobster for $3.99 a pound at her grocery store, and they cooked it for her for free. Her husband is not a lobster fan, so she bought him some swordfish for $7.99 a pound. I would KILL for that kind of seafood. It would almost be worth driving from GA to MA to get it.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
WOW! They cooked it right there on the spot for her? Can't beat that!!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111
I just went to the store yesterday to get some more CLEAR VALUE macaroni and cheese and I discovered THEY GOT RID OF IT!!!!! (My favourite mac and cheese since Kraft changed thier recipe)
I FOUND SOME!!!!!!

I called the company and a lady told me where the closest biggest store was that carries this SO I RANG THEM AND THEY HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! (Its under a different name but its the same stuff made by clear value)

www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/68408060

I hope this weekend I can get out there and get some,isnt too close to me!! (About 40 Miles I reckon)

I am much happier!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Default I will miss you, spicy foods.

I used to like spicy foods. Not the ones where you can't taste the food over the heat, but the ones where a few peppers or shots of something strong, gave it a good kick and really set the winds of Hell loose on your tongue. You could feel the burn going down to your gullet, and it was good. These days, it seems that as I got older, I can't tolerate them as well. They either give me heartburn or (redacted) the next day, I pay the piper. (We all know what I mean.) I"ve found these days, my level of spicy is like Texas Pete or Valencia. Black pepper. A tiny bit of Jalapeno. I remember making chili with handfuls of fresh jalapenos.

Those were the days. Once, I went to/got stuck in a layover/ in Thailand. For two days. Being the adventurous sort, I went downtown and had a tour, etc. got me a little hotel room, etc, and went out to eat in the tourist spots. I stopped at some restaurant. I got a beer and I ordered the stir fried crab/asian veggies over rice dish. I told the waiter, "Let me get that spicy." He said, "You want the spicy?" and I said , "Yes, please, the spicy." He said, "OK! I get you the spicy." The crab came out, it was small crabs, hacked in half, about 1/2 the size of a man's hand pieces, some veg and some small, red peppers. I started eating it. It had a kick, these crabs are pretty darn del....OMG WHAT IS IN MY MOUTH. It was kind of like a searing sort of feeling, like perhaps kissing a blowtorch, or guzzling lava. I'm being totally serious here. After my 3rd bite, all I could taste was pain. I had to solve this problem, so I did by ordering French fries and having about 3 more beers. I went out for a night of touring and having some fun and then went home. The next morning the Devil came coming. And he wanted his due.

Note to self, never ask for the spicy food in Thailand. You totally get what you pay for.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I learned the hard way (the next day - do NOT eat a bowl full of sliced jalepenos

Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I used to like spicy foods. Not the ones where you can't taste the food over the heat, but the ones where a few peppers or shots of something strong, gave it a good kick and really set the winds of Hell loose on your tongue. You could feel the burn going down to your gullet, and it was good. These days, it seems that as I got older, I can't tolerate them as well. They either give me heartburn or (redacted) the next day, I pay the piper. (We all know what I mean.) I"ve found these days, my level of spicy is like Texas Pete or Valencia. Black pepper. A tiny bit of Jalapeno. I remember making chili with handfuls of fresh jalapenos.

Those were the days. Once, I went to/got stuck in a layover/ in Thailand. For two days. Being the adventurous sort, I went downtown and had a tour, etc. got me a little hotel room, etc, and went out to eat in the tourist spots. I stopped at some restaurant. I got a beer and I ordered the stir fried crab/asian veggies over rice dish. I told the waiter, "Let me get that spicy." He said, "You want the spicy?" and I said , "Yes, please, the spicy." He said, "OK! I get you the spicy." The crab came out, it was small crabs, hacked in half, about 1/2 the size of a man's hand pieces, some veg and some small, red peppers. I started eating it. It had a kick, these crabs are pretty darn del....OMG WHAT IS IN MY MOUTH. It was kind of like a searing sort of feeling, like perhaps kissing a blowtorch, or guzzling lava. I'm being totally serious here. After my 3rd bite, all I could taste was pain. I had to solve this problem, so I did by ordering French fries and having about 3 more beers. I went out for a night of touring and having some fun and then went home. The next morning the Devil came coming. And he wanted his due.

Note to self, never ask for the spicy food in Thailand. You totally get what you pay for.
This is a really funny post!

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I lived in the UK and would delight in asking for "local style" Vindaloo curry at Indian restaurants. VERY hot. And eating the whole plate, sometimes in front of restaurant staff just to prove that I really could.

Maybe it really is an age thing, or I have become wussified by living in the US midwest? Last time I tried that stunt at, yes, a Thai restaurant, I absolutely could not eat what I had ordered. The shape of my tongue was permanently altered by that experience. And, still, I know I have a high tolerance for spicy-hot food but no way will I ever ask for "local style" again.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Spicy Thai food in Thailand, does have a good kick. The hottest food I have ever had was at a taco stand in East Los Angeles (cannot recall the name), but their hot sauce literally had my head sweating and tongue burning off! The tacos were delicious!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
I would love to try this!

I did make somewhat of a boo boo once. I saw these pretty peppers and thought I'd add them to my kebabs that I grilled. I had like 4-5 on each kebab. Turns out that they were a type of habanero that were even hotter having been grilled.

I ate them anyway as they were really good yet extremely spicy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink