U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 11:28 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,791,859 times

Advertisements

That is my dad, he used to LOVE extremely spicy food...the man drank straight tobasco out of the bottle! I know where I got my love for spicy foods from as my mom spiced up everything she cooked.

Now he can't handle anything spicy either, it wreaks havoc on his stomach and he gets really bad acid reflex and/or heart burn. I have to remember this now, whenever him and my mom visit, I can't spice up my cooking like I usually do.

I hope I don't have issues someday with spicy food...but I try not to go overboard with the spices all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:32 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,791,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I remember making chili with handfuls of fresh jalapenos.

I do this now with the jalapenos from our garden. Absolutely love fresh jalapenos!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 PM

4,035 posts, read 9,244,130 times
My husband absolutely loves hot food. The hotter the better. Last week while on vacation we ate at a Thai place. Whatever he ordered has some kind of peppercorns in it. The dish was also had Thai peppers floating on top of it when it was presented, then the waitress spooned all the peppers off. The waitress told him to try to not actually eat the peppercorns because they were so hot that they would make his mouth go numb. Of course, being a lover of all things hot, he ignored her warnings and ate one. Sure enough, not only did he look like he was going explode, his mouth went completely numb and it stayed that way for some time. Guess he won't make that mistake again.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,811,673 times
I don't understand the allure of eating something so hot you can't taste anything but hotness.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,768,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I used to like spicy foods. Not the ones where you can't taste the food over the heat, but the ones where a few peppers or shots of something strong, gave it a good kick and really set the winds of Hell loose on your tongue. You could feel the burn going down to your gullet, and it was good. These days, it seems that as I got older, I can't tolerate them as well. They either give me heartburn or (redacted) the next day, I pay the piper. (We all know what I mean.) I"ve found these days, my level of spicy is like Texas Pete or Valencia. Black pepper. A tiny bit of Jalapeno. I remember making chili with handfuls of fresh jalapenos.

Those were the days. Once, I went to/got stuck in a layover/ in Thailand. For two days. Being the adventurous sort, I went downtown and had a tour, etc. got me a little hotel room, etc, and went out to eat in the tourist spots. I stopped at some restaurant. I got a beer and I ordered the stir fried crab/asian veggies over rice dish. I told the waiter, "Let me get that spicy." He said, "You want the spicy?" and I said , "Yes, please, the spicy." He said, "OK! I get you the spicy." The crab came out, it was small crabs, hacked in half, about 1/2 the size of a man's hand pieces, some veg and some small, red peppers. I started eating it. It had a kick, these crabs are pretty darn del....OMG WHAT IS IN MY MOUTH. It was kind of like a searing sort of feeling, like perhaps kissing a blowtorch, or guzzling lava. I'm being totally serious here. After my 3rd bite, all I could taste was pain. I had to solve this problem, so I did by ordering French fries and having about 3 more beers. I went out for a night of touring and having some fun and then went home. The next morning the Devil came coming. And he wanted his due.

Note to self, never ask for the spicy food in Thailand. You totally get what you pay for.

Snort giggle @ a murican asking for spicy.

Lol.

We're part of Asia in Australia and we have loads of Asian influences in our food. "Spicy" means you will be scraping your tongue off the roof of your mouth and crying like a baby. I like "spicy" but prefer to keep my mascara on so I ask for "medium" and it's usually just right.

I wish I'da seen that...lol...French fries wouldn't change a thing...lol...

Beer or milk/yogurt is the only cure...or cucumber. You usually get cucumber on the side with Thai food and that's why.

Lol. still grinning...

Sorry. I suggest you try eating dairy with your chillis. Might make it a better experience the next day too. Of course drinking lots of water will erm...water the spice down for when it's coming back out again.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,448,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I don't understand the allure of eating something so hot you can't taste anything but hotness.
If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Seriously a few times in my life I've eaten things that were so blistering hot, that just eclipsed all of the taste. And was very unpleasant.

But eating food that is at the upper range of my "spicy heat" tolerance but falls short of being unpleasant seems to intensify all of the taste, somehow. It's hard to explain. But there is a reason people who enjoy spicy-hot foods by the billions, do so.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM

37,277 posts, read 45,978,538 times
While we're talking about pepper, I think it's interesting how I can't tolerate much regular black pepper, and my DH loads it in everything. I like jalapenos and he doesn't.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,768,201 times
I love pepper.

Black pepper, white pepper, fresh, powdered, jalapenos, chili peppers, capsicums. Yum.

Not a fan of salt though.

Pepper is better for you. It has all sorts of properties they are just beginning to research...plus, it tastes great!

Pepper is the main seasoning I consistently use in almost everything.

My brother absolutely loves curries, the hotter the better literally. He went to India and ate hot curries, his girlfriend said he would stream sweat.

Some folks just love that thermic reaction, even if it is slightly painful. I enjoy getting my legs waxed, it's no different. A little bit of pain can be enjoyable.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,448,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I love pepper.

Black pepper, white pepper, fresh, powdered, jalapenos, chili peppers, capsicums. Yum.

Not a fan of salt though.

Pepper is better for you. It has all sorts of properties they are just beginning to research...plus, it tastes great!

Pepper is the main seasoning I consistently use in almost everything.

My brother absolutely loves curries, the hotter the better literally. He went to India and ate hot curries, his girlfriend said he would stream sweat.

Some folks just love that thermic reaction, even if it is slightly painful. I enjoy getting my legs waxed, it's no different. A little bit of pain can be enjoyable.
Now I wonder....

I like pepper, and chilies, and hot sauce, and all manner of "hot" flavoring.
But although I cook a lot, I haven't had salt in my house for years, although sometimes I'll use soy sauce or soup base if I think something needs a jolt of salt.
I cannot remember the last time I added salt to anything I've been served in a restaurant, or at someone's house. Not for any sort of health reason; I just don't see the need personally.

So, I wonder if there's a dichotomy here - people like either salty foods, or peppery-spicy foods, but tend not to like both equally?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,339,495 times
I like spicy but not so hot that my mouth feels like it is on fire. The last time we were at a Thai restaurant, DH insisted on getting something really hot because he doesn't think anything is hot enough for him. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead and he could hardly breathe. At first, he tried to pass it off as the temp in the restaurant, but even he finally admitted that it was just too hot and spicy for him. Luckily, there were witnesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or