Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times

Advertisements

THANK YOU BUDDY!!!!!!!!

Its good stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Default Life without a Stove, Day One

Our trusty stove died yesterday. An electrical mishap...it smelled like wires burning. Phew.

Result? No oven, no burners. It's dead, defunct... a former cooking appliance. The clock still worked, though. Husband turned it off at circuit breaker...unplugged it. We thought about getting it repaired but it's over 12 years old and we felt nervous about its innards and its potential fire hazard. So...we went to buy a new stove yesterday. Special order, delivery in two weeks--or thereabouts.

We're odd...we like bisque appliances--hence the special order. And we'll be getting a convection oven in the new one. Is that a good idea??

Meanwhile...we bought a toaster/convection oven...figured I can bake potatoes, small casseroles, burgers in it. Even small pizzas. Hope it will bake pies as I've promised to bring desserts to Thanksgiving dinner.

Will also be getting out the seldom used crock pot for chili, soups..and more...maybe pot roast? Will have to revisit my crock pot cook book.

I also have a small electric grill..will see if it works for boiling water for oatmeal...it's fine for grilling chops and vegetables...we also have a Coleman camp stove but that means cooking outside--and baby, it's cold out there!

No microwave in our home--never had one...see, I AM odd!

Loving to cook as I do, this is an interesting experiment in living with no stove.

Am I set? Hoping to not buy anything else..the new stove was a big unexpected expense!

Your advice appreciated. Wanting to have warm/hot food. Living on sandwiches and salads just doesn't do it.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:30 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
What is a "bisque" appliance?

I could not even fathom being without a microwave!!

I love my Breville toaster oven...it's not convection, but I use it for a lot of things when I either don't need my big oven, or I don't have enough room.

I could live without my oven for a couple of weeks, easy. I'd just have to forgo doing most baking (which I love) or certain dinners. We had pizza last night (homemade)...but I could have made two small ones and cooked in the Breville, if I had to. I also use a small George Foreman grill - a LOT - for cooking chicken breasts.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:33 AM

Bisque is an almond colored appliance--it's not a popular color--everything is in Stainless Steel these days!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Bisque can be a color, or a texture, or a type of unglazed ceramics. Or a combination of all three. If it's all three, it's basically an "almost matte" finish, in a slightly creamy white color.

Couple things you might want to have: crockpot, indoor electric griddle/grill (for pancakes and eggs), toaster oven. Really that's all you need, other than the microwave.

Totally get funky with the crockpot. Potroast cooks better, tastes better, out of a crockpot than it does out of a roasting pan from the oven! You can do a whole "baked" chicken with all the veggies too.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:37 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Bisque is an almond colored appliance--it's not a popular color--everything is in Stainless Steel these days!
Oh...didn't know you were talking about colors!

Yeah my ancient dishwasher is almond...but I hate it. I would prefer everything black or stainless.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh...didn't know you were talking about colors!

Yeah my ancient dishwasher is almond...but I hate it. I would prefer everything black or stainless.
Yep, you and everyone else...the salesman at the appliance store wanted us to order a new frig, dishwasher and range in Stainless Steel--because not having that would lower the resale value of our house! As though we have all that money lying around to toss out all our appliances.

I told him that in 10 years, if we wanted to sell our house, we'd probably be having this same conversation--because by then the new "in" color would be something like lime green with pink polka dots...

I'm old enough to remember white appliances--and then appliances in Harvest Gold, Avocado Green and Copper..and of course, the almond/bisque..and now Stainless...I decided to stop at bisque for now...bucking the Stainless trend.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Bisque can be a color, or a texture, or a type of unglazed ceramics. Or a combination of all three. If it's all three, it's basically an "almost matte" finish, in a slightly creamy white color.

Couple things you might want to have: crockpot, indoor electric griddle/grill (for pancakes and eggs), toaster oven. Really that's all you need, other than the microwave.

Totally get funky with the crockpot. Potroast cooks better, tastes better, out of a crockpot than it does out of a roasting pan from the oven! You can do a whole "baked" chicken with all the veggies too.
Thanks, this experiment just might be fun as I learn to use small, alternative cooking appliances...maybe our utility bill will go down??

Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Well, just sampled my first ever crock pot chili -- it's really good! Maybe put in a bit too much chipolte -- it's quite spicy, but still very edible. Just might become a convert to crock pot cooking instead of stove top simmering all day. Let the crock pot do the work...

An added benefit is that the house has smelled yummy all day.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I could easily manage with no stove, electric fry pan, no problem. Now, I could never live without a microwave!

My Grandmother had all pink appliances, pink. It was like a "Mary Kay" kitchen. Pink stove, pink ovens, pink fridge...pinkness.

Our fridge went out. We are moving, so no replacement, just living without one for a few weeks. At least it is cold outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink