U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 PM

12,048 posts, read 16,746,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
seems like I re-do the spice cabinet monthly and it still needs some changes. We have a spice store not too far away that sells spices at a price I don't mind spending. Because they are so inexpensive I don't feel bad about tossing them when they lose their kick.
May I come to visit?
SO pampers his hot pepper collection and I dry what we do not use fresh; the same with some herbs not so well known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:34 PM

186,200 posts, read 75,440,218 times
This will be a year for replenishing our home grown and ground cayenne peppers. One other pepper I want to process from home grown is paprika peppers and some of them will be smoked before grinding.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:01 PM

10,537 posts, read 16,943,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
This will be a year for replenishing our home grown and ground cayenne peppers. One other pepper I want to process from home grown is paprika peppers and some of them will be smoked before grinding.
May I ask about your process? Will you sun-dry the non-smoked peppers before grinding?

My garden isn't large scale, so I don't have any big preserving projects planned. I'll make salsa and tomato pasta sauce but not in canning quantities.

Last year at the very end of chile pepper season, I took all of my red chiles (I had a mixture of types), minced them up fine, and stored them in a jar in the refrigerator in layers of kosher salt. I got the idea from an old chowhound post that called it the "Universal Condiment." It keeps for a long time and it goes with everything (put a spoonful in scrambled eggs, salad dressing, potato salad, you name it). Somehow it tastes like more is in it than chiles and salt.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/disco...ndiment-427327

Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
May I ask about your process? Will you sun-dry the non-smoked peppers before grinding?

My garden isn't large scale, so I don't have any big preserving projects planned. I'll make salsa and tomato pasta sauce but not in canning quantities.

Last year at the very end of chile pepper season, I took all of my red chiles (I had a mixture of types), minced them up fine, and stored them in a jar in the refrigerator in layers of kosher salt. I got the idea from an old chowhound post that called it the "Universal Condiment." It keeps for a long time and it goes with everything (put a spoonful in scrambled eggs, salad dressing, potato salad, you name it). Somehow it tastes like more is in it than chiles and salt.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/disco...ndiment-427327
Peppers must be dry to grind into a powder form. If they need a faster than air dry the dehydrator works or even in an oven at 150 - 170. Once dry and stemmed I use a small Magic Bullet grinder for small batches. One word of caution is that some of those super hot peppers like Ghost, Carolina Reapers should be ground outdoors with a mask that will protect the lungs.... Many more exotics with subtle differences in flavor are also on my radar. I tried marinating peppers in vinegar then drying and that worked but didn't really enhance any flavors. In fact I think it might have taken away.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 AM

35,203 posts, read 43,407,401 times
Hate to change the subject, but I just tried a King Arthur Lemon Squares mix yesterday, and they are very very good. If your store carries it, you should try it.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:50 AM

69,880 posts, read 80,416,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
you do your own grinding and processing, I will go to our spice store.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:52 AM

69,880 posts, read 80,416,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hate to change the subject, but I just tried a King Arthur Lemon Squares mix yesterday, and they are very very good. If your store carries it, you should try it.
love anything with lemon

Old 04-05-2018, 12:18 PM

I need to shop for another Magic Bullet food processor. After putting all kinds of hot peppers through ours she want use it for anything else.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,761,755 times
What happened to the tuna vs tunafish thread. Did it get deleted for being controversial?

Old 04-12-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What happened to the tuna vs tunafish thread. Did it get deleted for being controversial?
don't know but it must not have been about food but political correctness??? sounds like it. I never saw it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or