Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 01:28 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

How do you screw up a meal in a box?
Unless you actually eat the meal straight out of the box it's possible. Adding water and applying heat can be downright scary things! Well, I suppose you could give yourself a paper cut while wrestling with the box...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 03:49 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The first peach cobbler of the season is in the record book. We will finish it off today before company comes.
Lol! How hospitable of you.

I don't know if this has come up before, but I put some water in a bowl and microwaved some corn on the cob for 3 minutes and it came out perfect. Not sure if it's worthy of starting a new thread, but I just thought the info needed to be put out there.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:10 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I reluctantly confess, I watch Below Deck, and they had this disastrous chef. She made nachos by putting Doritos on a plate, pouring on a jar of commercial salsa and a can of canned corn.

I think to my self, OMG! I am qualified to be a chef on a 40 million dollar charter yacht! I might not be 5 star rated, but I can, by golly, make better nachos than that.

So why am I sitting around posting to C-D when I could be in the Mediterranean or Tahiti, cooking for spoiled rich people who have paid the cost of a nice house to spend 3 days on a luxurious yacht?

A new career beckons.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:36 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Lol! How hospitable of you.

I don't know if this has come up before, but I put some water in a bowl and microwaved some corn on the cob for 3 minutes and it came out perfect. Not sure if it's worthy of starting a new thread, but I just thought the info needed to be put out there.
You can microwave it in the husk (no water) for three minutes and when you peel the husk back, the silk will come away with it. I’m not sure if microwaved corn tastes as good as boiled to me though.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I reluctantly confess, I watch Below Deck, and they had this disastrous chef. She made nachos by putting Doritos on a plate, pouring on a jar of commercial salsa and a can of canned corn.

I think to my self, OMG! I am qualified to be a chef on a 40 million dollar charter yacht! I might not be 5 star rated, but I can, by golly, make better nachos than that.

So why am I sitting around posting to C-D when I could be in the Mediterranean or Tahiti, cooking for spoiled rich people who have paid the cost of a nice house to spend 3 days on a luxurious yacht?

A new career beckons.
That isn't as bad as when we visited a favorite bar and grill in downtown Alexandria VA in probably 1982 or 2. The Californians had just come to the DC area so DC didn't know much about Mexican food. They had nachos on the menu. We ordered them with friends: instead of jalapenos they were topped with dill pickles.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You can microwave it in the husk (no water) for three minutes and when you peel the husk back, the silk will come away with it. I’m not sure if microwaved corn tastes as good as boiled to me though.
I will take corn or the cob anyway!!!

Old 07-04-2019, 08:16 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not funny, but somehow my brother managed to eff up Chicken Helper.

The chicken was a rock, the pasta half uncooked, and the sauce...well, I'd say runny...maybe it was trying to run away from the rest of the meal.

It. Was. Terrible.

How do you screw up a meal in a box?
I disagree. I think that's funny.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:20 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't remember setting anything on fire, but my husband did.

We were first married and he invited a co-worker to dinner. I marinated chicken and out it on the barbecue and asked my husband to keep an eye on it while I finished the rest of the dinner,

When I came back, the chicken was flaming like a torch, flames shooting 5 feet in the air.

When I pointed out that he was supposed to be watching it, his excuse was that he thought it was supposed to do that.
Uh-huh. I've heard variations of that story.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
My first effort at baking a cake as a newlywed was a disaster. I had no idea of the difference between regular flour and self-rising flour. First problem: I had self-rising flour. Second problem: the recipe called for baking powder so I added it.
Third problem: I had put it in a smaller pan than the recipe called for because that's all I had. Fourth problem: we're living in a foreign country and my oven has two speeds: on and off. So I have to keep looking at the oven thermometer throughout the baking cycle; when the oven gets to 400, I open the door; when it gets to 350, I close the door. Rinse and repeat. Cake goes in the oven and proceeds to rise....and rise....and rise.....until it was a gigantic dome slopping out of the pan on all sides. I take the cake out of the oven and it collapses. It's about a half-inch thick in the middle. The oven is smoking from the cake batter that slopped over the edges of the pan.

My husband came home to find me sobbing and a deformed cake upside down on the sidewalk.

I did learn to bake.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:16 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I had no idea of the difference between regular flour and self-rising flour.
You mean there are different kinds of flour?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink