U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 AM

72,709 posts, read 84,638,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Same here. I'm not much of a cook and am not a domestic goddess. But I try to be careful when dealing with raw meat. I have set procedures I do to prevent me accidentally using a cutting board or utensil that's been used for raw meat. I store meats in glass containers with lids in the fridge (not plastic). I'm careful to wipe down counters. But I'm sure I make a mistake sometimes & don't notice.
I do store meat in plastic containers but am very careful about wiping down the counters and using different cutting boards if I am dealing with chicken for sure. Of course I remember the days when no one had individual cutting boards. All we had was one which usually was built in and pulled out just below the sink. Somehow we all survived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:57 AM

12,361 posts, read 10,682,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
This reminds me of the time I bought some take out food at a grocery store deli counter. The woman at the counter used gloves to handle the food but didn't take them off when she took my money. I wondered how many times she did that during her shift, wearing the same gloves. I should have spoken up right THEN AND THERE!

When I got home, I called the store and asked to speak to the deli manager. Guess what, SHE was the manager. (I could tell by the accent)

I told her what I thought of the practice and she apologized. I never went back there to buy deli food.
This is nasty.

A bit off topic but my state "banned" straws recently. You can still get them but you have to ask. They can't just give them to you without asking. I was at a sit down restaurant and asked for a straw. The lady pulled one out of her apron holding it tightly in the palm of her hand (probably hand touching 1/2 the straw) and stuck it in my drink. Now I'm drinking whatever she has got going on on her hand.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:24 PM

9,719 posts, read 7,354,864 times
This could almost be a thread.. The "No.. Nuh-Uh.. Nope" Thread..

https://people.com/food/pickle-oreos...es-candy-shop/

Old 08-22-2019, 06:15 PM

5,863 posts, read 4,296,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is nasty.

A bit off topic but my state "banned" straws recently. You can still get them but you have to ask. They can't just give them to you without asking. I was at a sit down restaurant and asked for a straw. The lady pulled one out of her apron holding it tightly in the palm of her hand (probably hand touching 1/2 the straw) and stuck it in my drink. Now I'm drinking whatever she has got going on on her hand.
Along with whatever germs, crumbs and lint she had in her apron pocket. UGH!

Old 08-23-2019, 03:52 AM

1,518 posts, read 744,910 times
The worse thing to do is, complain, then sitdown for a meal. Not a good idea, to upset the person cooking your meal.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:12 AM

72,709 posts, read 84,638,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
This could almost be a thread.. The "No.. Nuh-Uh.. Nope" Thread..

https://people.com/food/pickle-oreos...es-candy-shop/
well you could start one yourself. It might be fun!!!

Old 08-24-2019, 07:52 PM

9,719 posts, read 7,354,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is nasty.

Unwrapped straws? Ew.

I don't use straws for the most part. Only time I will is if I get a Big Gulp or something that I'm going to have in the car when i'm driving.

Ever seen those straw dispensers where you press down and it gives you a straw? How many hands touch all over that and your unwrapped straw comes out.. I'm no germaphobe, but that's just nasty.

I am curious.. is your state one that's gone to the 'paper' straws? I've heard alot of complaints that they're turning soggy before people finish their drinks.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 AM

1,367 posts, read 350,058 times
Some cities are banning plastic straws in Florida. Straws will now have to be biodegradable.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:32 AM

22,676 posts, read 14,876,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Pretty much how I feel. I am careful about my cutting boards and do not knowingly use a knife to cut chicken and then to slice something unless the knife has been washed in very hot water, but I am also aware I am not a neat freak. I love my sign that says: my house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be homey.
This is me, pretty much. I have a good solid cutting board that I leave out on my island. I use it for veggies and sometimes for cooked meats. I recently bought two resin boards for raw meat which are dishwashable.

I do use the same chef’s knife on both boards, but I thoroughly wash and rinse the knife, blade and handle, between uses. Also, I do not rinse chicken before cooking, which is the latest recommendation from the sanitary police.

Also, I understand that cooked ground meat should not be eaten undercooked, because if it is contaminated, the contaminants will likely be throughout the meat. With chicken or roast, bacteria will be on the surface, and cooking, roasting, or searing will kill those bacteria.

But now, my big resin board will not fit into my new dishwasher! So I need to find a less large board, because I want to wash it that way.

At any rate, I do try to be safe as I prepare food.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:42 AM

14,949 posts, read 10,950,856 times
Whenever I watch Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show, I always wonder if Eddie ever watches it. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or