U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 08:43 PM

6,492 posts, read 3,704,127 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I didn't even know what a Hatch chili was until Chef Daughter schooled me. Now, last weekend I saw a local grocery store was having a chili roast! (MN)

You can still buy edible rhubarb, there? How fortunate. We love rhubarb pie. My recipe calls for a custard in with the fruit. How do you make yours, nmnita?

Since I found out how long you've been married I've been pretty impressed at how active your life is. You have something going on nearly every day and still cook like a restaurant. He certainly is spoiled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 PM

15,261 posts, read 19,376,734 times
I Was so incredibly disappointed that our n cal Grover didn't bring Hatch Chile roasters to the Raleigh area this year. They usually visit for two weekends at two different locations. This year, nada. I would have had to drive to Fayetteville (1.5 hours) to get them.

Considering that I buy 12-14 pounds each year, DH is going to be unhappy with the Hatch-less version of his favorite Pork with green chile. I don't even want to think about replacing the 5 pounds of poblanos I special ordered each year. BTW peeling and freezing all those chile's took me 2-3 hours a day for three days. Now THAT'S devotion.

I'm already going thru withdrawals.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 81 times
Familycookfoodproject is the website, where you will get a lots of food recipes which you can use to cook your food by yourself. To access the website, first you have to create your account for this site, then you will be able to do a successful Familycookbookproject Login. If you don't know the register and login procedures, then you can make your visit at this link Familycookbookproject Login.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:18 AM

37,530 posts, read 46,287,021 times
Oh, a rhubarb pie sounds good. We aren’t pepper fans, but we like pie.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:20 AM

42,204 posts, read 3,213,180 times
Rhubarb pie is my favorite of all pies, Nothing except rhubarb & sugar. I must see if they have any for sale at my market.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 AM

37,530 posts, read 46,287,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Rhubarb pie is my favorite of all pies, Nothing except rhubarb & sugar. I must see if they have any for sale at my market.
I like to put in a few strawberries for color.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 AM

454 posts, read 123,062 times
Here in SoCal, the roasting schedule is winding down, and in a week or so, there won't be any left in the produce bins.

So, I'll be picking up a last batch to roast before they are gone.

At least that's what it was like last year.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM

72,709 posts, read 84,638,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
A few years ago I didn't even know what a Hatch chili was until Chef Daughter schooled me. Now, last weekend I saw a local grocery store was having a chili roast! (MN)

You can still buy edible rhubarb, there? How fortunate. We love rhubarb pie. My recipe calls for a custard in with the fruit. How do you make yours, nmnita?

Since I found out how long you've been married I've been pretty impressed at how active your life is. You have something going on nearly every day and still cook like a restaurant. He certainly is spoiled!
Yes, this was the first Rhubarb we have seen this year at a price I felt like spending. As for the recipe: basic Rhubarb, mostly sugar and Rhubarb. I am adding a bit of well drained pineapple and a nectarine. will make it tomorrow if not this PM. it is hot to be cooking and baking but the outcome is worth it.

I love your idea of the custard in the fruit.

Thanks for the complement or remark at least. We do, me particularly do stay as busy as we can. I have always been this way, got it from my dad who did not slow down until his stroke at 92. He did die the followin year. It is more fun to get up and go, but sometimes my get up and go, hasn't gotten up and gone.

Spoiled brat has always said he married the first girl he meant that enjoyed cooking, while loving sports. I guess back in the 50s there weren't many of us, especially in college. And here we are 61 years later. He went to college to get his degree and I went to get a husband. Boy did I get lucky!!!!

Old 09-08-2019, 06:54 PM

187,370 posts, read 77,410,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just to let you know, I am not going to use them together, though it might make an interesting pie, but am excited they were both on sale today: 1-Hatch chilies even when we lived in NM 12 years ago were around a $ lb. of course they did roast them. Our one store here that roasts them charge close to $2 a lb. Our small independent grocery store had the today for $49 a lb. I know what Spoiled brat will be doing in the next few days: hot or not, out will come the charcoal and on the grill will be the chilies:

In return I am making him a Rhubarb pie. Usually Rhubarb here, when we can get it is $around $2 to 2.50 a lb: .89 today. I am all smiles
Rhubarb and Chile might be good ya know. We know that jalapeno is good with peaches.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:18 PM

1,520 posts, read 664,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Holy cow! Brat must have REALLY robbed the cradle.

If you were British, you would be the proud owner of TWO letters of congratulations from the queen. One for 50th and another for 60th.
I think that’s not quite right, I live in U.K., and I know that the Queen sends a congratulatory message to anyone who reaches 100 years of age, and I’ve been told 105 too.
I Googled the “Queen’s anniversary messages”, and it said that couples get one on their 60th, 65th, and 70th anniversaries.
I’m not holding my breath, my wife finally nailed me down in 1994, after 14 years together, and I was 55 then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or