Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 06:11 AM

4,521 posts, read 3,710,783 times

Advertisements

Vanilla beans that we harvested in late December/early January, processed, dried and conditioned were finally ready to use this weekend. It takes that long. We were pollinating this years vanilla orchids in April while drying last years.

I made creme brûlée using one large vanilla bean. I have a small butane blow torch to caramelize sugar on top of the custard in ramekins, which is always fun. It has been my favorite dessert to order at restaurants, but very few do it well and most are mediocre. Since I’ve started making it myself, even before using my own vanilla beans, I can honestly say no one makes it better.

I make it once a year and didn’t last year, so it was a real treat yesterday. I made vanilla extract last year with my beans using vodka, but I’m making a batch with bourbon this year which I think will be even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 07:42 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,710,783 times
The creme brûlée took seven egg yolks. King Arthur has a recipe for a lemon angel food cake baked in a loaf pan and them covered with a meringue when cooled. The egg whites will be used! A torch is used to brown the meringue. The grandkids will love this, they loved torching the sugar last week.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:42 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,328,551 times
Default Testing new recipes...

Has anybody really tested a new recipe, loved it and feel like you mastered it....and NEVER made it again?

I did that with a long and complicated Bloody Mary mix, which was divine but never made it again. Too much work and there are some really good mixes already out there.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:34 PM

5,426 posts, read 6,053,856 times
No....I think the closest I can come to what you describe is a Doberge cake that my husband literally thinks is the best dessert ever created. The problem is that it literally takes an entire day to make and it is so tall it is also hard to store leftovers. I've made it twice - MAYBE three times. But not a one and done. If it is truly divine you will make it again, even if only for a special occasion like my Doberge cake.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,886,906 times
A few years ago I started keeping a journal of my experiences using a recipe including all of the tweaks each time I made it. I'm about 3/4 of the way through a Moleskine journal and love looking back at what I have made and what I thought about the process or taste or final results at the time. Every now and then I look at one and wonder why I never attempted it again!

Old 09-09-2021, 04:38 PM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Has anybody really tested a new recipe, loved it and feel like you mastered it....and NEVER made it again?

I did that with a long and complicated Bloody Mary mix, which was divine but never made it again. Too much work and there are some really good mixes already out there.
Really good steak and kidney pie. Prepping the kidneys alone for it is tedious. I may do it once more, as it freezes well and is a treat. Regular S&K pie is okay, but nothing to write home about.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Really good steak and kidney pie. Prepping the kidneys alone for it is tedious. I may do it once more, as it freezes well and is a treat. Regular S&K pie is okay, but nothing to write home about.
I've never looked it up and am too lazy to Google it. Is Steak and Kidney pie actually made with cow kidneys? Or is it Kidney beans?

Old 09-09-2021, 05:30 PM

Also, how did my OP land in this particular thread? It has no relationship to the question at all.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:06 PM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post

I am sure I have done this more than once. In over 50 years of cooking, and many cookbooks and shared recipes, I’ve made a lot of good things and then promptly forgotten them. In the 1960s I was getting some recipe cards that fit in a box. In it was a recipe for zucchini and cheese that was really good. I keep meaning to see if I still have it, so I can make it again.

Then, of course, there’s the Sloppy Joe dilemma in which I get The Worlds Best Sloppy Joes recipe off the internet without realizing that there are several different ones.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:37 PM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Here in the south, rhubarb is very hard to find. Today I found it at Kroger and I’m pretty excited. A strawberry rhubarb pie is in my future. I wonder if they have it all the time? I will probably go back and get some to freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink