Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2023, 10:06 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yuck, I can't stand one ground in my coffee.....(yuck)

Funny though, can't believe he ate them....
I can! It probably was good. There's a candy that's made of an espresso bean, covered in glossy white or dark chocolate. I love 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 05:42 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
What’s the deal with crab cakes? I don’t get why anyone would take something that expensive and mix it up with a bunch of breading so you can’t even taste it.

When I was a kid, at every special occasion, someone made crab salad in snowflake rolls. Even as a child, I loved them. I have tried to find crab that is worth the cost, in any form, but I never have. Possible exception was the crab on the San Francisco pier for $6.95. many years ago.

Anyway, I’m open to it, but I’m not really a fan.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:35 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What’s the deal with crab cakes? I don’t get why anyone would take something that expensive and mix it up with a bunch of breading so you can’t even taste it.

When I was a kid, at every special occasion, someone made crab salad in snowflake rolls. Even as a child, I loved them. I have tried to find crab that is worth the cost, in any form, but I never have. Possible exception was the crab on the San Francisco pier for $6.95. many years ago.

I'm with you.

Crab is crazy expensive and has been for a couple years. A local Chinese buffet had to get the law involved and ultimately limit and remove crab legs from the menu. Lobster, to Mainers and those in the know, are "bugs." Literally, they are close to cockroaches in evolution. Crabs are of a similar lineage. I'll eat either, but my placing them on a value scale is much different than where many may place them.

Mackerel patties, salmon patties, croquettes, all are extenders. Crab cakes are similar. With some foods, I'll happily join the ethnic joy. With more expensive ones, maybe not - not so much from the relative costs, but from the idea that those species need to be given time to regenerate, and I can wait.

Similarly, I love cod, but will happily substitute other fish in most dishes.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:15 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Can we have a moment of silence for my favorite clay casserole dish, that I used almost every day to make casserole for 4, or two pork chops, or a batch of Jiffy corn bread? RIP. I’m on the hunt for it’s replacement. It developed a hairline crack, and then the crack gave way.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:32 PM

30,399 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm with you.

Crab is crazy expensive and has been for a couple years. A local Chinese buffet had to get the law involved and ultimately limit and remove crab legs from the menu. Lobster, to Mainers and those in the know, are "bugs." Literally, they are close to cockroaches in evolution. Crabs are of a similar lineage. I'll eat either, but my placing them on a value scale is much different than where many may place them.

Mackerel patties, salmon patties, croquettes, all are extenders. Crab cakes are similar. With some foods, I'll happily join the ethnic joy. With more expensive ones, maybe not - not so much from the relative costs, but from the idea that those species need to be given time to regenerate, and I can wait.

Similarly, I love cod, but will happily substitute other fish in most dishes.
This is why i get my own fish trish 20 to 100 miles offshore in the gulf. Nothing better than fresh fish vs something that sat on a boat for 10 days ray.

Old 04-02-2023, 04:52 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Can we have a moment of silence for my favorite clay casserole dish, that I used almost every day to make casserole for 4, or two pork chops, or a batch of Jiffy corn bread? RIP. I’m on the hunt for it’s replacement. It developed a hairline crack, and then the crack gave way.
Thoughts and prayers gentlearts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2023, 07:47 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
May the mourning period be short (but not sharp)

Old 04-05-2023, 06:39 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:

I think all those recipes were from a time when crab was really cheap; in fact, if you lived on the seashore, as we did, you could just cut up all the old leftover bits of a chicken (neck, innards, etc.) and tie them on a string and the crabs would just come up to it immediately and you could net them because they'd hold on, not let go of the chicken. I remember one fabulous evening when I was quite young, we caught 52! We had a sort of trot line set up, with poles to hold up the string and tied on meat at intervals, and after about 30 minutes there they were, feasting away.

Of course it was then left to all the women to cook and clean them - ugh!

But crab is expensive now and also rarer, so most of those recipes are languishing in the recipe books of our mothers and grandmothers and if they are used, most often some kind of other sweet tasting fish is used instead of crab.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:18 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
Quote:

They just have to be done right, with a specific seafood taste. When I lived in Baltimore, they were my go-to when I needed a seafood fix.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Speaking of crabs, I don't get the appeal of soft-shell crab sandwiches - not that I've ever had one. But aren't you eating organs and all? Bleh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink