Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

I seldom post recipe reviews so I don't think I'm the one y'all are annoyed with...

However, I almost never make a recipe without changes. I use online recipes as a jumping off point; I know which seasonings, ingredients I might want to sub for personal preferences or in case I'm out of something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I seldom post recipe reviews so I don't think I'm the one y'all are annoyed with...

However, I almost never make a recipe without changes. I use online recipes as a jumping off point; I know which seasonings, ingredients I might want to sub for personal preferences or in case I'm out of something.
LOL I'm sure you're not! We were talking about recipe sites, like allrecipes.com. Some people, in their review of the recipe, completely change the recipe into something else and then give the original recipe a low rating.

I often change things, too. I don't care for oregano (smells and tastes like pencil shavings to me!) so I'll swap it out with something else. Or, I'll take a Mediterranean dish and change all the spices to make it a curry dish. I don't like raw onion so I'll often substitute celery.

But, when an idiot turns a recipe for Beef Bourguignon into beef soup with cube steak and chicken stock and then calls it "bland and tasteless", there's a village out there somewhere missing them.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:56 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I won't post this in "Parenting"...so, everyone is wound up, with the holidays coming. My daughter has had a terrible time sleeping, she is stressed with college papers. Well, I made my yummy hot buttered rum batter, so everyone had a hot toddy before bed last night, with a splash of rum for "flavoring". Imagine, everyone had their hot toddy, and off to bed, ZONK!

That is quite the magic drink. All hot, rich, you don't even taste the rum in it. Really, the perfect winterr drink.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I won't post this in "Parenting"...so, everyone is wound up, with the holidays coming. My daughter has had a terrible time sleeping, she is stressed with college papers. Well, I made my yummy hot buttered rum batter, so everyone had a hot toddy before bed last night, with a splash of rum for "flavoring". Imagine, everyone had their hot toddy, and off to bed, ZONK!

That is quite the magic drink. All hot, rich, you don't even taste the rum in it. Really, the perfect winterr drink.
I've never had a hot toddy, come to think of it. What's in it, other than rum?

It's probably a very good thing you didn't post this in parenting. Sadly, there are parents who would use this on their children! Likely the same ones who give their kids NyQuil and the like...

Old 11-20-2011, 09:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
It's probably a very good thing you didn't post this in parenting. Sadly, there are parents who would use this on their children! Likely the same ones who give their kids NyQuil and the like...
Or get completely bent out of shape by the specter of the demon rum.

Quote:
That is quite the magic drink. All hot, rich, you don't even taste the rum in it. Really, the perfect winter drink.
As far back in my life as I can remember one of the standard features of Thanksgiving at my grandmother's was the large frosty shaker of Bacardi cocktails that my eldest aunt used to make. I always "helped". She'd squeeze a dozen limes, add Barcardi Gold Label Rum (made in Cuba in those days of yesteryear), and Grenadine. Then she would shake it for what seemed like forever. I thought it was about the tastiest drink I had all year, much better than Coca-Cola. I can't remember how much I had when I was really young but it seems that by the time I was nine or so I was having a normal size drink. It never made me sleepy, however. There were too many interesting things happening and too many good things to eat.

I just decided that I'm going to make some this year.

My parents and their siblings were adults when Prohibition started. They trusted themselves in deciding when I should have a drink. Having a small amount to drink at an early age is likely the reason that I've always been a very moderate social drinker.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Ah, rum cocktails. My Grandma used to make them in the summer, fresh mint, soda, rum, and any fruit that was fresh, usually peaches, raspberries, or strawberries. All mashed, strained in fresh fruit juice, shaken with ice. The best drink for lazing on the porch. After all, she always had some rum and whiskey, for "medicinal purposes" of course.

As for hot buttered rum batter, an intoxicating blend of butter, ice cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, yum.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
As for hot buttered rum batter, an intoxicating blend of butter, ice cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, yum.
Ice cream? It is time for the recipe.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Or get completely bent out of shape by the specter of the demon rum.
Was your intention here to come across so condescending towards people who aren't in favor of giving alcohol to children? I'm asking because that's how it reads.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Last might my step dad made a very simple dish of pasta with olive oil, garlic, and some feta cheese. It was so good. I never seem to get it right, but I think that's due to over cooking. I'm making a little of that up tonight, but with moz instead. I also cooked up garlic, onion, peppers and veggies sausages. Should be a nice dinner.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
LOL I'm sure you're not! We were talking about recipe sites, like allrecipes.com. Some people, in their review of the recipe, completely change the recipe into something else and then give the original recipe a low rating.

I often change things, too. I don't care for oregano (smells and tastes like pencil shavings to me!) so I'll swap it out with something else. Or, I'll take a Mediterranean dish and change all the spices to make it a curry dish. I don't like raw onion so I'll often substitute celery.

But, when an idiot turns a recipe for Beef Bourguignon into beef soup with cube steak and chicken stock and then calls it "bland and tasteless", there's a village out there somewhere missing them.
Like this one? This is my go-to stuffing recipe, and I noticed this review a few days ago:

Awesome Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Quote:
I begin to crave this when Fall begins! To make it easier, I use bagged dry cornbread stuffing, boxed or canned chicken stock, and add pecans into the mix. I do not use the liver and it is fantastic! My all-time favorite stuffing recipe!!
She gave it five stars. Different bread, different stock, omit the liver, add nuts. This is a very different recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink