Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I won't post this in "Parenting"...so, everyone is wound up, with the holidays coming. My daughter has had a terrible time sleeping, she is stressed with college papers. Well, I made my yummy hot buttered rum batter, so everyone had a hot toddy before bed last night, with a splash of rum for "flavoring". Imagine, everyone had their hot toddy, and off to bed, ZONK!

That is quite the magic drink. All hot, rich, you don't even taste the rum in it. Really, the perfect winterr drink.
Yeah, I wouldn't post that in the parenting forum. Those peeps can be harsh.

Good tip though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
.....As far back in my life as I can remember one of the standard features of Thanksgiving at my grandmother's was the large frosty shaker of Bacardi cocktails that my eldest aunt used to make. I always "helped". She'd squeeze a dozen limes, add Barcardi Gold Label Rum (made in Cuba in those days of yesteryear), and Grenadine. Then she would shake it for what seemed like forever. I thought it was about the tastiest drink I had all year, much better than Coca-Cola. I can't remember how much I had when I was really young but it seems that by the time I was nine or so I was having a normal size drink. It never made me sleepy, however. There were too many interesting things happening and too many good things to eat.

I just decided that I'm going to make some this year.

My parents and their siblings were adults when Prohibition started. They trusted themselves in deciding when I should have a drink. Having a small amount to drink at an early age is likely the reason that I've always been a very moderate social drinker.
Yum, I haven't had a daiquiri in ages. Never had one sweetened with Grenadine, I'll have to try that.

I just ate the cheapest, simplest Thanksgiving meal ever, and was quite happy with it. The turkey was just one of those boneless blobs roasted for a coupla hours, and with it was Stove Top Stuffing with a chopped up stick of celery and a few raisins. Pumpkin pie. Of course I was alone, couldn't have gotten away with something like that if I had guests. To me, those three things are the essence of a Thanksgiving meal, nothing else needed.

Not much of a contribution to a food chat, is it? But I think the simple approach is best even when you have zillions of guests, unless you've got endless energy for cooking, serving, and cleaning up. People don't really notice what they're eating at a family feast, most of them won't appreciate an organic turkey, homemade stuffing with pecans, oysters, dried little weird fruits, and fresh herbs ..... , trifles, chocolate pumpkin pies with hand-whipped cream, salt potatoes, casseroles ..... they just shovel it all into their mouths, say something polite, and then get on with their conversations.

It's better to have abundant enthusiasm left to concentrate on the conversations, in my opinion.

Turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie does it for me, and for many others too. OK, mashed potatoes and gravy too ...... plus plenty of wine and liquor to wash it all down.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Is pannetone available year round, or just at Christmas? I tried a recipe for pannetone bread pudding this past week, and it was really good. I'd like to make it for my dad when he comes to visit, but they probably won't be here until close to Easter.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is pannetone available year round, or just at Christmas? I tried a recipe for pannetone bread pudding this past week, and it was really good. I'd like to make it for my dad when he comes to visit, but they probably won't be here until close to Easter.
Where I work, we only sell it at Christmas time. But, I'm not in Italy! Besides, who cares when you are, or aren't, supposed to have it! Have it anytime you want it! Here's an authentic Panettone recipe by Francesco Elmi

I didn't have a Thanksgiving Dinner this year because I didn't want one. (I have no family and all my friends were away.) I spent the day in my clean apartment, reading in bed, and had a simple bowl of cereal and was content as a critter in glitter. Besides, I make a full Thanksgiving dinner three times a year anyway!

I recently made a bread pudding recipe with croissants. I loved it. It was from this YouTube recipe by Nigella - Nigella Lawson...Caramel Croissant Pudding If you aren't familiar with Nigella, you should be! Her passion and eloquence for food and cooking can't be beat! Watch this video. Listen to her. Her attitude has taught me a lot about enjoying life in general.

Last edited by plain and simple; 11-30-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 10:18 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Default Once in a great while..........

I will opt for a nothing kind of dinner.

Tonight I was in the mood for a little greasy fish, so I picked up some fish tasting planks from the supermarket. Not quite up to Captain D's or Long John's standards, but hey, if I wanted superb fish, I would go for the pecan crusted smoked salmon.

And just to make it all so very right, I bought a bottle of tartar sauce to drown it in. And that is where I blew it. Talk about a vile substance. The fish was absolutely perfect. Greasy (and baked in the oven), fishy, crunchy (and baked in the oven) breading.....all together exactly what I was in the mood for. But that sauce..........let me explain my perspective. A decent tartar sauce starts with Mayonnaise. NOT some white, sweet and tangy, salad dressing, but genuine mayo. Add some nice crisp dill pickle relish, and you have a wonderful bold sauce with a smooth, mellow flavor with a dill edge that simply "fits" and is fit for any high production battered fish.

This stuff was made from a house brand salad dressing and blended with a little sweet pickle relish. Absolutely nauseating.

And the box of fish had enough to make it an appetizer at any low end chain eatery.

Now, having had my fish dinner, I have to go find something to eat...........

Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I always go for the red cocktail sauce for fish, the more horseradish the better. Not being a fan of mayo, creamy tarter sauce is nauseating to me.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't post that in the parenting forum. Those peeps can be harsh.

Good tip though!
Not this peep!

My mother used to do the same thing when I was stressed over school. I'm a big believer in a toddy for the body!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm pretty sure you can freeze a panettone in foil if you're using it for bread pudding. It'll be custard dipped anyway, so a loss of texture shouldn't affect the recipe. In fact if it gets thawed and stales, all the better, right?

Old 12-24-2011, 08:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Yummm pannetone bread pudding....sounds good

Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
I just want to let you all know that pumpkin pie with chocolate is outstanding. I meant to either bake it with semi-sweet pieces, or put pudding on top, but things went awry and I ended up buying a pumpkin and eating it with a hazelnut milk chocolate bar ...... excellent.

The ham (shank portion refrigerated) I just heated for a coupla hours at 170F, it turned out much juicier and more tender than done at a higher temp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink