Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 05:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I was wondering if I should soak it before putting it into the oven for that long, but you really don't need to. I will give it a quick rinse just for, I don't know, hygiene's sake, and figure that a little extra steam, if it occurs, certainly can't hurt.

If there's one piece of advice new cooks should heed, it's to NEVER try new things when you're going to throw a get-together or cook for someone else. Like many, I learned the hard way.
True but when you are young and a relatively new married bride you are sure you can do almost anything to make your husband happy. Don't think she made daddy very happy that might, probably almost 90 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 09:15 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I like my mom's story better. My dad had invited his new boss for dinner and gave mom instructions on how to do the roast. Mom was not a cook at the time. Well dinner would have gone fine except mom forgot to turn on the oven. That dinner I guess gave a new meaning to the word "rare"
At least it was dead.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 PM

265 posts, read 238,845 times
Default coffee and egg white

So yesterday I made a coffee and we had no Coffee-mate Nestle. I dont like hot coffee, so when its hot and ready, I always mix it in a bottle shaker with ice, since I like it cold. So since we had no coffee-mate Nestle I decided to add egg white instead. The taste was not the same, but it also was not bad. I tried it again today and I liked it. I use the coffee to wake up, energy. I just wanted to share this with you all since I learned so much here. I tired googling this and I found other recipes that included egg white and more items. Felt this might be good for someone trying to avoid the sweetener and at the same time drinking something good.

Also I dont know if this would work well drinking it hot, I mixed it in the bottle shaker with ice.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:56 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,081,661 times
Carpaccio anyone?

Old 08-10-2019, 06:15 PM

19,407 posts, read 15,231,592 times
Here's another food show. "The Chef Show" streams on Netflix. Jon Favreau and chef Roy Choi. The first episode seemed a little boring, but it picks up after that. Lemon/butter pasta is one of my favorites, and I can't wait to try Chef Roy's version.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times
There will be something hotter than the weather tomorrow night in our kitchen. Chili with a homegrown Ghost Pepper....

Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Do any of you watch a favorite YouTube food host?

I look in on YouTube when I am interested in buying a small electric appliance, mostly. I watched several “shows” before deciding to buy an Instant Pot, for instance.

Apparently there are people who do shows that have followings. I wonder if any here follow a certain presenter.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:02 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Do any of you watch a favorite YouTube food host?

I look in on YouTube when I am interested in buying a small electric appliance, mostly. I watched several “shows” before deciding to buy an Instant Pot, for instance.

Apparently there are people who do shows that have followings. I wonder if any here follow a certain presenter.
I’m a new big fan of Emmy Made in Japan (she’s actually Chinese American).

She eats stuff I would never eat, and some stuff I would like to eat, and sometimes tests gadgets, and sometimes makes weird retro recipes. She’s a beautiful lovely.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:24 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,986,290 times
Default How do I handle this the next time we go to this restaurant?

We signed up for a restaurant's reward program which gives us a free meal on our birthday.

I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name of this chain restaurant but I'm sure many are familiar with it. It's a place where they have teppan tables and you sit there with strangers while your food is cooked in front of you.

Several months ago we ate a branch of this restaurant and noticed that the chef didn't care about cross contamination. We watched him flip a piece of chicken and then immediately use the spatula without cleaning it to cut up zucchini. At the time, we said nothing. However, I did write to corporate HQ and gave them all the details. A few days later, the GM called me to discuss what had happened. He told me that they have sanitizing cloths and are supposed to clean off their spatulas to avoid cross contamination. I let him know that if they continue to not clean spatulas, they will someday end up sickening people. He agreed, apologized, said all the chefs had been trained. Also, he said he would deal with the offending chef.

He also mentioned that he previously had worked in the restaurant that is nearest to us. I told him we noticed cross contamination happen there once before.

So...on to my question. When we go there again, how do we handle this? I've considered on of the following options:

1) As soon as we get to the host station, let the person there know we want to talk to the manager on duty. We would then let him/her know of our previous experience and say we don't want a repeat of that.

2) Say nothing and get seated. If the chef cross contaminates the food, we would do one of the following:

A) Call the chef out in front of everybody at the table. My concern is that might not go over well with the diners at our table, Or;

B) The minute we notice any cross contamination, one of us would get up and find the manager.

What do you all recommend? Thank you for reading and thank you for your responses.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
"What do you all recommend?"
if it bothered us as much as it did you, we would not go there again.
we would consider the money lost as food poisoning prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink