Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 11:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I cook at home probably 27 out of 30 nights. I'm aware of the potential contamination and germ issues, and work hard to avoid them.

But I'm honest enough to admit and fairly certain that MOST restaurant kitchens are more sanitized than mine. that is likely true If the health department inspector turned up in ANY home kitchen.
Pretty much how I feel. I am careful about my cutting boards and do not knowingly use a knife to cut chicken and then to slice something unless the knife has been washed in very hot water, but I am also aware I am not a neat freak. I love my sign that says: my house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be homey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 01:12 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We signed up for a restaurant's reward program which gives us a free meal on our birthday.

I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name of this chain restaurant but I'm sure many are familiar with it. It's a place where they have teppan tables and you sit there with strangers while your food is cooked in front of you.

Several months ago we ate a branch of this restaurant and noticed that the chef didn't care about cross contamination. We watched him flip a piece of chicken and then immediately use the spatula without cleaning it to cut up zucchini. At the time, we said nothing. However, I did write to corporate HQ and gave them all the details. A few days later, the GM called me to discuss what had happened. He told me that they have sanitizing cloths and are supposed to clean off their spatulas to avoid cross contamination. I let him know that if they continue to not clean spatulas, they will someday end up sickening people. He agreed, apologized, said all the chefs had been trained. Also, he said he would deal with the offending chef.

He also mentioned that he previously had worked in the restaurant that is nearest to us. I told him we noticed cross contamination happen there once before.

So...on to my question. When we go there again, how do we handle this? I've considered on of the following options:

1) As soon as we get to the host station, let the person there know we want to talk to the manager on duty. We would then let him/her know of our previous experience and say we don't want a repeat of that.

2) Say nothing and get seated. If the chef cross contaminates the food, we would do one of the following:

A) Call the chef out in front of everybody at the table. My concern is that might not go over well with the diners at our table, Or;

B) The minute we notice any cross contamination, one of us would get up and find the manager.

What do you all recommend? Thank you for reading and thank you for your responses.
Number 1. Don't **** off the restaurant staff, especially the ones that handle your food, you may some some special spices in your meal.
Number 2. Find another restaurant that gives a free meal on your birthday.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:29 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Better than "son mari va me tuer!"

To the OP, this seems like a stressful place for you to visit now. I feel like the best answer is to not return there. You *could* have a conversation with the manager (I wouldn't) and maybe it'll be fine for *this* visit and/or with *this* chef, but I feel like you'll always wonder what you're in for the next time and never be comfortable there.
SON MARI VA ME TUER*

No chance of that Dawn, as a younger man, I was a ”joueur extraordinaire”, but married women have always been a strict no-no, any sight of a gold band, and I was headed for the door.
I had a friend, who made it his life’s work to seduce engaged girls, once in a blue moon he had a success.
I never understood that, I viewed engaged women as firmly in love, absolutely no chance, a waste of time, and I once said to him, “Why engaged girls?”
He gave me a similar reason that mountaineers give when asked why did they want to climb Mount Everest, “Because it’s there, and because I think I can.”
It didn’t hurt that he looked like a young Colin Farrell, and had some knock out, unassuming lines, even my mother once said, “If I was 25 years younger, and your father couldn’t find me, he could check Tony’s place!”

Old 08-17-2019, 05:06 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,067 times
I’d go again and watch what happens. If the same thing occurs I’d immediately notify the manager and then leave. I’d never go there again.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
It is amazing how different we all would approach the OPs concern. Some of us would just let it roll off our shoulders, some would call the manager, and still others would never return to the restaurant. To each his own.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:03 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Call ahead and get take out.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:05 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Yeah, most places you eat out at probably have the same thing going-on, if not worse.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Please stop going out to eat.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:51 PM

167 posts, read 190,343 times
Not trying to call out the OP and I'm assuming I know which chain is being referred.

Have been to a few of those, but I'm by no means their #1 customer. I don't even go once a year. But I do specifically recall that the meats were always handled and cooked in absolute last.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:58 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
cross contamination...

chicken....to kill all bacteria in chicken it needs to be 165f

beef 145 unless its burger then 160f

so im willing to bet a stir fry which is high heat …..that spatula gets to well beyond 165 ..

wouldn't bother me a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink