Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 04:11 PM

9,776 posts, read 11,431,915 times

Advertisements

Sam Club here in San Diego Cracked down on, non members using their food court a couple of years back. It's now all about profits and the bottom line I guess.

I'll still shop there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 04:43 PM

10,581 posts, read 5,541,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Costco is using cheap hot dogs/sodas to lure people into the stores.......oooh $2.50 for a coke/dog and look honey this 72 inch tv must be a deal too!

Costco is a game, they offer deals on stuff to get you to overspend. Watch the CNBC story on it, the founder is featured in the episode. No signs? Why? So people walk every isle finding stuff they didn't even know they needed!

I usually visit a Costco 3-5 times a year but I don't get the "cult" following of people overloading their carts with too much crap from the 5 lbs of pretzels to the 2 gallons of mayonaise!
Actually, Costco's objective is to break even on the stuff they sell (in aggregate). Their profit dollars come from annual membership fees.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:49 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,233,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not sure why they would discourage non-members from using their food court unless it's a loss leader to attract people to the stores.

Costco have some different menus items in different countries, although the hot dogs and pizzas are a staple in most parts of the world.

Costco food court menu options around the world - Business Insider (2019)

30 Costco food court items you'd never guess were on the menu - Business Insider (2018)

IKEA also place a lot of emphasis on attracting customers through food.

IKEA food courts have different menus across the world - Business Insider (2019)

All of the Costcos in our area have the food court outside. I have coworkers who go there on weekends to eat and they don’t have a membership.

I’ve been to the Costco in Tijuana and they have the best lasagne at their food court.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:45 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Costco is using cheap hot dogs/sodas to lure people into the stores.......oooh $2.50 for a coke/dog and look honey this 72 inch tv must be a deal too!

Costco is a game, they offer deals on stuff to get you to overspend. Watch the CNBC story on it, the founder is featured in the episode. No signs? Why? So people walk every isle finding stuff they didn't even know they needed!

I usually visit a Costco 3-5 times a year but I don't get the "cult" following of people overloading their carts with too much crap from the 5 lbs of pretzels to the 2 gallons of mayonaise!
There are those that are better about that. They only go once a month. One person compared a prescription there vs. CVS... free vs. $10 a month, so that alone pays for the membership. While you didn't need a membership for the pharmacy, it seems to be a hassle to go there for just the pharmacy in some locations. Folks have also saved a bundle on their various services (although like with anything from them, def. consider comparison shopping to verify if it's really true for the prices in your area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Hot dog & soda is $1.50, not $2.50.

One reason people fill up the cart is because they see something in the store they didn't know they needed. Rule #1 for shopping at Costco is that if you see something you like, buy it now, because when you come back in a couple days, it will be gone.
Some of the stuff are staples. And I'm not just talking about milk, eggs, etc. However, unfortunately, when in doubt, do get it!

Old 02-26-2020, 08:19 PM

4,961 posts, read 5,209,573 times
Our food court is still inside. You can get in through the exit doors or there is a door right next to it for customer service. I usually order a pizza to go and then take my cart outside to unload while the pizza is baking so I don't have to wait as long. I usually walk in through the exit to pick up my pizza.

I don't fill prescriptions at Costco because it is out of the way if someone is actually sick and needs a prescription. I buy glasses and contacts there. I was asked for my membership card. Not sure they would sell them to me without the membership.

The food up front is cheap. Not bad if you want a quick meal.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:00 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
I have been ducking into Costco for 15 years. I was a member in 2005 when they opened a store near my work in Chicagoland. I think I purchased perhaps $125 plus two tank of gas all year as their gas prices were generally higher than Sam's Club.

I can wave my long expired card and can get into the store. In the rare chance that I find something of interest, I take a picture of it and send it to my friend who will purchase it for me on the next trip.

As for the food court ... I can do a lot better at the QuikTrip down the street where I can get a better quality hot dog and freshly made foods. Their pizza is better than Costco but that is like the 6" low hurdles.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:06 PM

9,198 posts, read 10,967,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes but there is an entrance (wherecthey check your card) and an exit (where they check your receipt)...most Costcos here the return desk, customer service desk and food court can be accessed by entering through the exit door. Since it is past the cashiers no one checks membership cards.
The two local ones have entrance and exit right next to each other.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:19 PM

26,876 posts, read 13,094,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
All of the Costcos in our area have the food court outside. I have coworkers who go there on weekends to eat and they don’t have a membership.

I’ve been to the Costco in Tijuana and they have the best lasagne at their food court.

Some stores are going to require a membeship card in order to use the food court, however I am not sure which ones or if all stores will eventually have membership only food courts.

Some Costco stores are barring non-members from eating at the food court - Business Insider

Old 02-27-2020, 08:59 AM

14,197 posts, read 11,436,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't fill prescriptions at Costco because it is out of the way if someone is actually sick and needs a prescription. I buy glasses and contacts there. I was asked for my membership card. Not sure they would sell them to me without the membership.
You need a card to buy glasses or contacts in the eye department, yes. If you just go to the optometrist, have an eye exam, and get a prescription, you don't need a card. They are separate entities.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,680,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't know how people got in, at all the Costco I have been to, they ask for membership cards at the front door. We sometimes get the hot dog special, Also liked the brisket sandwich, didn't know that was discontinued.
I am a Costco member, but sometimes I just stop for gas and then duck in for a hot dog or other food item. I walk in the door that goes to the customer service desk and bypass the line and go straight to the food court.

I have often wondered if non members could do the same thing because no one asks for my card either going in, and they never check my food receipt when I walk past the door checkers on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink