Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 05:57 PM

820 posts, read 971,538 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. I bought some chicken breasts tonight to grill and grilled them for the appropriate time, and took the temperature and it was all over 165. So I took them off the grill, and my family and I began eating them. Everything was fine until we got to the very ends of our pieces (which admittedly was the thickest part). My grandma said that her piece was a little chewy, and after she swallowed that piece already, she looked at the rest and it was completely raw. She knew it was only raw at the end, as she checked every piece she ate before that and it was completely cooked through. I did not eat any raw pieces, but when I got to the end of mine it was completely raw as well. While I did not actually eat the end piece that was raw, I worry that the salmonella could have spread throughout the entire piece, even into the portion that was completely cooked.

All in all, I can’t believe that I did this, and that my grandma (and possibly myself) are likely on the way to spending a horrible night in the bathroom. I took the temperature of the chicken everywhere, but apparently I misjudged it because of how raw the ends of the pieces were. I already told my grandma that if she winds up in the hospital, I will cover all her medical expenses. But Am I overreacting due to the fact that only the ends were raw, or are both of us in for a really bad illness? So far, I’m ok, but that may not always be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 06:09 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Store-bought chicken? If so, less than 2% of all chicken sold in a given year test positive.... it's a REALLY LOW risk. If backyard chickens... well, hope you practice good rodent control and food storage.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Store-bought chicken? If so, less than 2% of all chicken sold in a given year test positive.... it's a REALLY LOW risk. If backyard chickens... well, hope you practice good rodent control and food storage.
No, it’s store-bought. And from a high-end supermarket where I actually worked for 5 years. They charge way more for even dry goods than average markets like FoodTown. Theoretically though, if this chicken had it, could it spread through the entire piece even if the rest of the piece was at the right temp and completely cooked?

Old 03-31-2020, 06:23 PM

110 posts, read 83,480 times
Did you take the temperature of those end pieces? You should always be taking the temp of the thickest part of the meat.

What was the temp of the spots where you took it? Very well done chicken can be chewy. Also worth mentioning that the USDA says even fully cooked chicken can have a pinkish tinge to it sometimes. As long as the thickest part is 165 minimum..that's the important part.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froscow View Post
Did you take the temperature of those end pieces? You should always be taking the temp of the thickest part of the meat.

What was the temp of the spots where you took it? Very well done chicken can be chewy. Also worth mentioning that the USDA says even fully cooked chicken can have a pinkish tinge to it sometimes. As long as the thickest part is 165 minimum..that's the important part.
Yes, as I recall I took the temperature, but I could’ve gone in too far or I didn’t go close enough to the end. Either way I guess I am screwed, as well as my grandma. The temp in the spots I took it were about 180. But whatever the thermometer says, the ends were seared on the outside but otherwise completely raw.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
You'll be fine.

For future meals, make sure you put the thermometer in the thickest part of the protein.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You'll be fine.

For future meals, make sure you put the thermometer in the thickest part of the protein.
I should’ve mentioned that these were extremely thin chicken breasts, like hard to put over the grates because they were so thin. So even putting the thermometer in it would almost go straight through because of how thin they were.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:38 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
You'll be fine. It's more likely that you will feel ill because you have mentally psyched yourself into that state.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:52 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
It's been more than 24 hours, how are you doing?

Old 04-01-2020, 02:15 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
With Brexit, US chlorinated chicken has been in the news. Does that lower the risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink