Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 01:36 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

OP, it will work fine. Press the edges together in your pie pan and pre-bake your crust until it is about half done. That will prevent your filling from sinking into the crust.

Take the crust out of the oven, put in your egg mixture and fillings and put it back into the oven and bake until the eggs are cooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 01:40 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
My sister made a quiche that way, and I didn’t like it at all. It had an off putting sweet taste. Why not just buy a pie crust in the dairy section, if you don’t want to make it yourself.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:42 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My sister made a quiche that way, and I didn’t like it at all. It had an off putting sweet taste. Why not just buy a pie crust in the dairy section, if you don’t want to make it yourself.
Because the OP is avoiding the store.

But you raise a good point. I was only thinking of the soft bready texture ... it is also kind of sweet!

Old 04-17-2020, 01:44 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
+1.

Too sweet for my liking but would it work in this case, yes.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:58 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
For a savory pie there are other things you can use that don't call for flour. I have an onion quiche that calls for butter and saltine cracker crumbs that's addictive.

Bread crumbs of all types work. And we all know about graham cracker crusts and cookie crusts.

Bachelor Son was here the other day asking for flour. He only wanted about four cups and said that would last him a couple of years. Obviously I've failed him in the baking department. How good it would be to teach your sons how to make pie. Good idea.

I told him he'd better keep it in the refrigerator if he keeps it that long and he said he does. Uses it to bread fish and meat.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No cream cheese, and I am, of course, strictly avoiding the grocery store.
you do not need to add cream cheese to pie crust if you wanted to make it, just for the record. And you can make it in a food processor if you have one.

However, I think the crescent rolls would work fine. I use sheets of puff pastry for savory tarts, and they work great, and this would be very similar. I would go ahead and bake for a few minutes first, as directed in the link someone provided from Pillsbury.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/ba...1-745d5ca7a00b

Old 04-17-2020, 08:00 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,977 times
Quote:
I make quiche quite frequently, but always crustless quiche. DH hasn't had a home cooked quiche with a crust since he left his mother's house or when was evicted by his first wife. Read: A helluva long time ago.
Well, if you make it without a crust it's technically not a "quiche." It's a frittata.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:11 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Why not do pockets?

Stir-fry some chopped broccoli and the mushrooms, pour off the liquid. Lay one piece of crescent dough down on a floured surface, load it with broccoli/mushrooms, a slice of cheddar on top, then lay another piece of crescent dough on top, and pinch the sides together. Then bake.

Could add a slice of ham or some finely chopped salami to the mix too.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:15 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Well, if you make it without a crust it's technically not a "quiche." It's a frittata.
I dont agree. A quiche (crustless or not) is cooked entirely in the oven. Frittata is cooked on a stovetop, and possibly finished in the oven.

Anywho, I ended up making a crustless asparagus, cremini mushrooms and bacon. Should have left out the bacon.

Now my neighbor did some grocery shopping for me. My request for one pound of asparagus has snowballed into three pounds. Two people - who are also getting take out a couple of times a week (from local, independent restaurants, curbside delivery).

Any body have ideas of what to do with all that asparagus?

Old 04-18-2020, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
I don't bake. Making my own pie crust is a non-starter. Going to the grocery for pre-made pie crust is a non-starter right now, too.

I make quiche quite frequently, but always crustless quiche. DH hasn't had a home cooked quiche with a crust since he left his mother's house or when was evicted by his first wife. Read: A helluva long time ago.

I've got some beautiful asparagus, cremini mushrooms and the other things needed for a quiche. I've also got a can of those crescent rolls in the fridge. So I was thinking: How would they do as a crust for a quiche?

(This question probably shows how bored I am. . .)
sounds like a winner to me and I know what you mean about boring: I too always make quiche crustless bu love the idea of trying the rolls. WE are about to venture out long enough to pick up curb side delivery and I am thinking of stopping at the store for a few things. It has been almost 2 weeks and some of the produce has been sent to its death house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink