Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:32 PM

22,285 posts, read 11,785,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One of things I have found about Thai places - the more Americanized (or oriented towards "western" palates) they are, the more sweet the foods get. The more authentic places have a nice balance of spicy, sweet, and sour. When I went to Thailand, the actual sweet was minimal. Save desserts and fruit and whatever natural sweetness comes out from coconut milk. Very different than most of what we get here at home!
^^^^So true about Thai places. We have several in our area with some being better than others. We've also long since discovered that Thai entrees hold up very well as leftovers.

BTW, thanks for the food tips! This past weekend, we got a family meal from a chain Mexican restaurant. The meal came with 5 tacos and 5 cheese and onion enchiladas. We ate the tacos the first day and the enchiladas the second day as they held up well as leftovers. The meal came with enough rice and beans for 4 meals. Plus they gave us chips and salsa.

Again, thanks to all for the great tips and suggestions. There is so much helpful info in this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 08:59 AM

22,186 posts, read 29,160,495 times
I got Boston Market last night and have leftovers today. Not sure if there's one near you

Old 05-05-2020, 10:40 AM

404 posts, read 1,239,222 times
My mom always loved the Fettuccine Alfredo at Olive Garden so when we dined in we would get the deal where you buy 1/take 1 home. They may still have that for strictly takeout only, also. One dish lasted her for 3 meals which were a generous size, along with garlic bread and salad (with dressing on the side).

Old 05-05-2020, 10:55 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,935,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One of things I have found about Thai places - the more Americanized (or oriented towards "western" palates) they are, the more sweet the foods get. The more authentic places have a nice balance of spicy, sweet, and sour. When I went to Thailand, the actual sweet was minimal. Save desserts and fruit and whatever natural sweetness comes out from coconut milk. Very different than most of what we get here at home!
It seems to me that Thai food I ate around 15 years ago tasted less sweet. Recently it has been sweet. I can handle a few bites, and then I don’t like it. I usually order the beef salad I find at Thai places, but that was not on the takeout menu.

I have no idea how to find a “more authentic” Thai place.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:49 AM

22,186 posts, read 29,160,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
My mom always loved the Fettuccine Alfredo at Olive Garden so when we dined in we would get the deal where you buy 1/take 1 home. They may still have that for strictly takeout only, also. One dish lasted her for 3 meals which were a generous size, along with garlic bread and salad (with dressing on the side).
I love it too! But it never reheats wells for me at all. The sauce separates even when stirring. How do you keep yours from doing that?

Old 05-05-2020, 02:03 PM

22,285 posts, read 11,785,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I got Boston Market last night and have leftovers today. Not sure if there's one near you
The Boston Market closest to us closed last year.

We were thinking about ordering takeout and delivery from a nearby Peruvian chicken place---a mom and pop place that has good food. If we got a whole chicken and some sides, that is good for more than one meal.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:22 PM

10,829 posts, read 7,202,863 times
Pollo Loco has been offering deals on family meals, often 12 pieces of chicken and 3 large sides for $20. (You need their app to get the deals).

That's three meals for two, though we usually run out of salad at the second meal.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:58 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,571,741 times
I had delivery yesterday and got a meal and two apps which gave me 2 meals. A couple of weeks ago I got a wrap and a sampler from Aladin's with some extra pita and I got 4 meals out of that. I always order a large pizza. For a few dollars more I get several meals.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:04 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,701,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Once a week, we order takeout and delivery during this pandemic. Our goal is to order enough food to get two meals out of it.

For example, when we order Chinese or Thai food the portions run large making it easy to get two meals out of it. Even when we would dine-in, we would end up taking home food.

A local Mexican restaurant is offering "family meals" that feed 4. Since they are very reasonably priced, we order one and it's enough to give the two of us two meals.

My Dad once figured out that if he bought a large sub at Subway, he could get two meals out of it. So...getting large subs has come to mind.

Are there any other types of cuisine that anyone has found that give large portions that end up making two meals?

Thank you!
We have a local Italian based restaurant that is offering "buy one take one" for the price of one dinner. Kinda like what you are asking about.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It seems to me that Thai food I ate around 15 years ago tasted less sweet. Recently it has been sweet. I can handle a few bites, and then I don’t like it. I usually order the beef salad I find at Thai places, but that was not on the takeout menu.

I have no idea how to find a “more authentic” Thai place.
I like to find ones that have lots of dishes I have never heard of. It seems like they are more authentic. If it only seems to have the greatest hits Thai food, it seems to correspond with extra sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink