Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 12:33 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have only heard it called pulled pork when it was pork that has been pulled (shredded). For me BBQ has been a general term, that could be burgers, hot dogs, steak, chicken, fish, shrimp, pork chops, pork shoulder served sliced (not pulled).
Real BBQ requires a smoker. The rest is grilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 12:44 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Sorry I mentioned whole hog; seems folks got hung up on that rather than the "pulled" part. The actual point being when did calling it "pulled" become a thing? First time I heard the word pulled was on the west coast where it was called "South Carolina Pulled Pork." I've heard it called that a lot of places around the country since then, but not before. Just seems like it's become a foodie trend to call it pulled pork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I landed in Memphis from TX over 30 years ago. In TX it was sliced brisket, in Memphis it was pit smoked ribs and pulled pork (with delicious crispy bits), even way back then.
I love some Texas brisket; haven't found any really good brisket here in TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Then you haven't had the good stuff.
What would be the good stuff? I've tried a lot and love most any style so long as it doesn't need some syrupy sauce to cover up the taste.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:19 PM

1,371 posts, read 666,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

What would be the good stuff? I've tried a lot and love most any style so long as it doesn't need some syrupy sauce to cover up the taste.

Dogboa's for one. I eat it without sauce sometimes and sometimes with a mustard/vinegar based sauce that's kind of tart and just a little bit sweet. He puts a rub on it and also mops while cooking/smoking. I very, very rarely order pulled pork when we go out to eat as nothing I've ever had save 1 place in Kentucky has ever been as good as his.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:26 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Real BBQ requires a smoker. The rest is grilling.
I don't think anyone can really define what exactly 'BBQ' means. To me- my dad having been from NC, we had a lot of BBQ chicken gatherings. A large open fire with an entire 'cage' of spatchcocked chickens that were cooked over open flame and mopped with a vinegar sauce. BBQ also meant roadside rib trucks where you picked up a bag of BBQ'd ribs.

Merriams says-

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barbecue

Quote:
bar·​be·​cue | \ ˈbär-bi-ˌkyü \
barbecued; barbecuing
Definition of barbecue (Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb

1: to roast or broil on a rack or revolving spit over or before a source of heat (such as hot coals)
2: to cook in a highly seasoned vinegar sauce
3informal : to subject (someone) to harsh criticism or ridicule
Republicans now talk of winning 15 to 20 new seats in November, a prospect that has the faithful and the financiers wanting to barbecue Clinton for at least a few more weeks.
— Nancy Gibbs et al.

barbecue noun
variants: or less commonly barbeque
Definition of barbecue (Entry 2 of 2)
1a: a large animal (such as a steer) roasted whole or split over an open fire or a fire in a pit
b: barbecued food
eat barbecue
2: a social gathering especially in the open air at which barbecued food is eaten
3: an often portable fireplace over which meat and fish are roasted
I don't consider smoking 'BBQ'. I refer to BBQ as 'cooked over open flame'. When you buy a real smoked ham- it is not called 'BBQ ham', it is called 'smoked ham'.Here in Montana I've been to gatherings with chuckwagon meals. All cooked over open wood fire for hours, some direct- some in a dutch oven. The call all of it 'BBQ'. BBQ steer steaks and ribs, BBQ beans (which are awesome)...

Old 06-10-2020, 02:02 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don't think anyone can really define what exactly 'BBQ' means.

Rhett and Link do a nice job 'splainin it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Old 06-10-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Rhett and Link do a nice job 'splainin it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY
Ha ha that's awesome and so true.

This is the kinda of chicken BBQ I remember going to as a kid.

Rambler's BBQ Chicken - North Country Rambler

Old 06-10-2020, 02:30 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I think part of it is largely due to convenience and tradition. I grew up on a lot of pulled pork. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve been around more and had access to way more styles of BBQ.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:49 PM

127 posts, read 61,359 times
....aaaand now I want smoked meat! *insert Homer Simpson drooling meme here*

Old 06-10-2020, 02:55 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Dogboa's for one. I eat it without sauce sometimes and sometimes with a mustard/vinegar based sauce that's kind of tart and just a little bit sweet. He puts a rub on it and also mops while cooking/smoking. I very, very rarely order pulled pork when we go out to eat as nothing I've ever had save 1 place in Kentucky has ever been as good as his.
Any BBQ you can eat without sauce is pretty good in my book. Sounds like his is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don't think anyone can really define what exactly 'BBQ' means. To me- my dad having been from NC, we had a lot of BBQ chicken gatherings. A large open fire with an entire 'cage' of spatchcocked chickens that were cooked over open flame and mopped with a vinegar sauce. BBQ also meant roadside rib trucks where you picked up a bag of BBQ'd ribs.

I don't consider smoking 'BBQ'. I refer to BBQ as 'cooked over open flame'. When you buy a real smoked ham- it is not called 'BBQ ham', it is called 'smoked ham'.Here in Montana I've been to gatherings with chuckwagon meals. All cooked over open wood fire for hours, some direct- some in a dutch oven. The call all of it 'BBQ'. BBQ steer steaks and ribs, BBQ beans (which are awesome)...
I'm in pretty much the same. Smoking is smoking, grilling is grilling, and BBQ is slow cooked over an open flame. You get kind of both flavors of smoke and direct heat at the same time.

One of the BBQ cooks when I was growing up loved it so much he built himself a brick building on his farm so he could cook year round. It had a full kitchen and prep area in one room and then a separate room for the pit. Could do 3-4 hogs at time on the pit. Even had a chain hoist and trolley system for handling the hogs between the pit and kitchen. When he did a cook, people would come from as far as Charlotte and Greenville to get some.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:19 PM

I made a 'BBQ' 10lb meatloaf to feed 10 Boy Scouts. 1/2 ground seasoned pork and 1/2 ground beef, mixed with diced tomatoes, spices, onion and other stuff. Cooked over coals with chunks of hickory tossed in with the top off for until the water boiled off and the smoke would get in it.. Slather it with homemade BBQ sauce, cover and slow cook.

They plowed it under in record time.

It's a massive dutch oven- over twice normal size.

Last edited by Threerun; 06-10-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink