Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:07 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
so which is it? do we cool and then refrigerate? or do we cool in the fridge right away?
If you are done with it, get it in the fridge. It will cool faster, and pass through the danger zone faster. I keep a thermometer in my fridge. I know that if it goes above 38 degrees there is something wrong.

Mayonaise doesn't go bad. The stuff that is mixed with it such as potatoes, or chicken, is what goes bad. I posted that link not too long ago.

Somebody else mentioned botulism. Botulism grows in an oxygen free environment. It is most associated with canned goods. Garlic in oil must also be refrigerated because of botulism. The oil holds out the oxygen.

I'll add a few links as I find them, and can still edit. Food Safety Education: Chill Facts

Nova Scotia Agriculture - Food Safety: The Temperature Danger Zone

Somebody was talking about saving money with dented cans in another thread. This is why you shouldn't do that.
Botulism fact sheet (http://www.metrokc.gov/health/prevcont/botulism.htm - broken link)

Last edited by South Range Family; 05-02-2008 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:09 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hmm... I dont know - I think that rule is more set aside for foods that have milk or foods that have mayo in them, like for example you wouldn't want to leave out potato salad, macaroni salad, etc... I have left beans out all night and then stuck them in the fridge the next day and ate them later, I didn't implode or explode LOL
Actually I recently learned right here on this forum (go city-data!) that the mayo thing is a myth. I always thought so too, especially since I got food poisoning from leftover potato salad a couple of years ago. However, it turns out it's the OTHER things in it that are likely to get contaminated and poison you, not the mayo. Unless, of course, somebody used homemade mayo.

Still, get your potato salad in the fridge right away! Ugh. I really haven't been able to enjoy it since that sorry episode.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:10 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post

Mayonaise doesn't go bad. The stuff that is mixed with it such as potatoes, or chicken, is what goes bad. I posted that link not too long ago.
Now I know where I got it!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:36 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I usually leave my food out to cool first and then put in fridge. I'm still alive (i think)

Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
Thanks for all the responses and especially the food safety links!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I have left beans out all night and then stuck them in the fridge the next day and ate them later, I didn't implode or explode LOL
Now that's brave, especially if there's ham in them beans.

I do let my food sit on the stove to cool, but mostly because I'm afraid a warm pan or dish will break the cold glass shelves in my fridge.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:03 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
At the risk of being redundant...I think this old wives tale came from when they had ice boxes. If you put something hot into the fridge it would warm up the inside too much, and food would spoil.
By the time you are finished eating, a leftover is going to be just warm, so putting it into the fridge isn't going to significantly lower the temperature in there.
As for your MIL. Just agree with whatever she says, then do whatever you please when she leaves.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,060,767 times
I was told once that putting food into the fridge before it cools will change the flavor. I don't know if that is true or not.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As for your MIL. Just agree with whatever she says, then do whatever you please when she leaves.
so wise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink