Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 02:52 AM

363 posts, read 514,053 times

Advertisements

Recently I visited a friend's home, and they were cooking fried fish for dinner. The cook had containers of old, browned, used oil, which was used in previous fish frys, that they intended to re-use again for this dinner.

I have never seen or heard of re-using old vegetable oil or lard for multiple frys before, and was completely disgusted.

Yet when I googled it, there seems to be a number of folks who do re-use old frying oil. It just seems unhygienic. And nasty. Also never heard or seen of a restaurant re-using fryer oil.

Has anyone here seen or done this before? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 03:22 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Recently I visited a friend's home, and they were cooking fried fish for dinner. The cook had containers of old, browned, used oil, which was used in previous fish frys, that they intended to re-use again for this dinner.

I have never seen or heard of re-using old vegetable oil or lard for multiple frys before, and was completely disgusted.

Yet when I googled it, there seems to be a number of folks who do re-use old frying oil. It just seems unhygienic. And nasty. Also never heard or seen of a restaurant re-using fryer oil.

Do you really think that restaurants throw out their frying oil after each use? Most places use their oil for seven days at a minimum. Most good restaurants will filter their oil at the end of the night.

Second, most restaurants use their OLDEST oil to fry their fish. Fish is less affected by older oil as are other foods.

It is not unhygenic and is fine to use if it is filtered.

By the way, are YOU going to throw away $40 in oil each time you try fish?

Old 09-28-2020, 03:24 AM

20,634 posts, read 4,412,829 times
Quote:

For personal home frying it's up to the cook. But as far as many restaurants, they reuse oil often. Some even cross fry foods in the same oil. That's why fires & fish taste the same. I've seen/heard restaurants
using the same oil the whole day, a few days, or a full week if they can get away with it.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Do you really think that restaurants throw out their frying oil after each use? Most places use their oil for seven days at a minimum. Most good restaurants will filter their oil at the end of the night.

Second, most restaurants use their OLDEST oil to fry their fish. Fish is less affected by older oil as are other foods.

It is not unhygenic and is fine to use if it is filtered.

By the way, are YOU going to throw away $40 in oil each time you try fish?
I worked in fish shacks on the New England coast as a teen in summer and they threw the oil away every day, but that was 20 yrs ago

Old 09-28-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
For personal home frying it's up to the cook. But as far as many restaurants, they reuse oil often. Some even cross fry foods in the same oil. That's why fires & fish taste the same. I've seen/heard restaurants
using the same oil the whole day, a few days, or a full week if they can get away with it.

Cross frying, yes, often, and pretty much everywhere. Why Kelly's chicken fingers taste like shrimp lol.

I just didn't know this was a thing... especially with home cooks

Thank you both for explaining.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:34 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Restaurants buy different grades of oil, some are better then others. They get as much use out of the oil, that they can.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:56 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Commercial kitchens do reuse their oils, which is why people with seafood allergies, sometimes cannot have the fries, or other deep fried items, if they do not have a dedicated oil for them. ( cross contamination)

Old 09-28-2020, 06:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
I worked in fish shacks on the New England coast as a teen in summer and they threw the oil away every day, but that was 20 yrs ago
Wow that is a surprise: I have never heard of any restaurant throwing out the oil after only one use. I grew up in a family that used all oils, including fish oil over several times. Now for us, personally because we now use our air fryer I do not fry my fish, but when I used my deep fryer I used the oil over.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:30 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,078,346 times
A real restaurant has a machine that filters the fryer oils, and they have separate fry vats for chicken, fish and vegetables. The scruffy bar on the corner does none of that, so drink your $6 IPA and shut up about the mozzarella sticks that taste like fish.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
A real restaurant has a machine that filters the fryer oils, and they have separate fry vats for chicken, fish and vegetables. The scruffy bar on the corner does none of that, so drink your $6 IPA and shut up about the mozzarella sticks that taste like fish.
lmaooo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink