Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 08:46 PM

505 posts, read 514,830 times

Advertisements

cooking the turkey, the breast is done at 165 degrees, but the thighs are done closer to 170 (technically at 165, but the breakdown starts to happen at 170).

but, the dark meat in the thighs takes longer to cook. Any advice how to get it finish at the same time?

I struggle with this. By the time the thighs get to the temp I need them at, the breast is closing in at 180, and then dries out.

What techniques do y'all do to get the whole turkey done around the same time, without the breast drying out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 09:21 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
You'll get tons of replies because it's pretty much a universal problem.

The single best way to avoid this is to spatchcock the turkey. But that eliminates the iconic and showy centerpiece of Thanksgiving.

This year I'm going with the method recommemded by BOTH Serious Eats and America's Test Kitchen. Using a bakers steel, a rack and a sheet pan. (I'll be using a pizza stone instead of the bakers steel.)

I dry brined it on Tuesday afternoon using serious eats' method (baking powder and salt - no sugar).

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...vy-recipe.html

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/art...rkey-and-gravy

That the technique cooks the bird much more quickly makes it even more attractive.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:53 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
When I set the bird out to take some of the chill off from the refrigerator and get it patted dry and rubbed with butter before going into the oven, once I get that done, I set a sheet of plastic wrap over the breast and put ice packs on top to chill down only the breast until it goes into the oven. I will sometimes wrap another ice pack in a plastic bag and put it inside the cavity, propped up so it's up against the keel bone to further chill the breast only.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:33 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
In the past few days
I’ve cut up over 50 fresh turkeys
For customers- the parts will cook more
Evenly and will save carving at the table

Old 11-26-2020, 08:29 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If the turkey isn't too big to handle, start roasting it breast side down. Flip it over at the end to brown the breast.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:38 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Another thing you can do is to place seasoned butter under the skin of the breast. That will baste the white meat while the turkey is cooking.

My bird this year was done with chili lime garlic butter. I made that seasoning choice because leftovers get made into enchiladas. Maple pecan or Cajun spice is also a good choice, but not good for echiladas.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:19 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
cooking the turkey, the breast is done at 165 degrees, but the thighs are done closer to 170 (technically at 165, but the breakdown starts to happen at 170).

but, the dark meat in the thighs takes longer to cook. Any advice how to get it finish at the same time?

I struggle with this. By the time the thighs get to the temp I need them at, the breast is closing in at 180, and then dries out.

What techniques do y'all do to get the whole turkey done around the same time, without the breast drying out?

Since 2009, I have been using a dry-brine recipe/method I found in the LA Times. I have never had the problem described. I think the dry-brine method has something to do with it, but I think the following is even more important:
  • remove the bird from the refrigerator 1.5 to 2 hours before it goes into the oven so it's not super cold
  • thoroughly preheat the oven to 425F
  • after 30 minutes of roasting at 425, reduce the oven temp to 325
  • continue roasting until the deepest thigh temp reaches 158F-160F (see Notes below)
  • remove turkey from oven, leave on the roasting rack/pan and tent loosely with foil for at least 30 minutes, but 45-60 is better, before carving
Notes:
Use a digital meat thermometer with a probe and alarm. It's tricky finding the right spot to insert the probe, so after it alarms, I move the probe slightly (in or out, even to a different location) until I find the "coldest" spot in the thigh, and continue to roast until it alarms again. This year, it took me 3 tries to find the coldest spot.

158F-160F for the thigh sounds low, but with the tenting and resting, there is quite a bit of carry-over cooking that goes on, meaning the temperature continues to go up and will reach 165, the "safe" temp. In the meantime, the juices redistribute, so you don't get the dryness. Again, I think the dry-brine method has quite a bit to do with that juiciness, but if you cook it too long, it will be dry.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:28 AM

505 posts, read 514,830 times
so, what I ended doing what towards the end I put tin foil over the breast, and left the thighs exposed. This seemed to work pretty well.
Thank you for all your thoughts. Happy thanksgiving

Old 11-28-2020, 08:16 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I saw the title of the thread before I realized it was under "food" and thought you were referring to plastic surgery. :-)

Old 11-28-2020, 11:27 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
I love how this forum has several of these debriefing threads after holidays.

They're actually very informative. I hope I remember them for when I need to refer back, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink