Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I like bull frogs cooked with black bean sauce and bitter melons over rice.

snails are also very good!

NO.. You eat Bull Frogs? Where are you from? It's bad enough I tried mussels and oysters NO THANKS..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Eh. I love the garlic and butter SURROUNDING the snail, but the snail itself does nothing for me. I would eat it again if paid to do so (ha ha), but meanwhile I save the delicacy for those around me that actually enjoy eating it!

I don't like most mushy foods, it's not even the creepy crawly thing.
I completely agree, I love the Garlic butter and Parsley ( a la Bourguignonne)served with the snails but the snails themselves "meh". I'll eat it but they always taste a tad chewy to me. Almost everyone I have ever met says the same about it : " well it's really the garlic butter I like" ! And that garlic butter is so much better with mussels , put under a hot grill for a couple of minutes. Now that is so, so delicious.

I have only had frog's legs a few times and once again "meh". Not bad but not exactly something I dream about at night.... I had quite a nice dish of them in Belgium with a fennel cream sauce once but as I said it's Ok rather than drool-worthy. There's not much meat on the legs so it seems rather pointless in a way.

And I'm French ! Strangely enough it is actually fairly rare to see Frog's legs or even snails on menus in France . Snails are more of a home-dish and not that common at that. People tend to make it when guests come for dinner.

Apparently France now imports snails from the UK, Poland and Serbia as they are running out of the right kind of edible snails .

Old 06-19-2009, 04:14 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,123 times
I had frogs legs cooked in sort of a tomato garlic sauce in CA when I was about 8 years old. I had them later in my 20's breaded and deap fried in New Orleans. Loved them both times.
I am a person who will try anything in life once as long as it isn't dangerous or illegal. My husband and I went out for an anniversary dinner with one of my best friends and her husband. We were married on the same date. We were celebrating 8 year and they were celebrating 1. She ordered escargot with garlic and butter. She offered me one, and of course, because of who I am, I could not refuse. It was well flavored, but for that particular texture, I personally would prefer octopus.
My husband, who was originally from Tennessee was so grossed out he didn't talk to me all night for eating that. LOL I should have had the chicken.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:51 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times
I've had both, French style, and they were excellent. As others have noted, the escargot are mostly about the butter and garlic, have little real flavor themselves. And the Frog's legs are sort of, kind of like chicken, even look like larger chicken wings.

But even in a French restaurant they are not among my top dishes to order. I prefer the simple country dishes like coq a vin and beef burgundy. And best of all in the French places I used to frequent, the veggies were out of this world.

There are no French places around here, but I have mastered two of the Julia Child cookbooks.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:55 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
People used to get creeped out about eating lobsters, too.

Lobster was a poor man's food. Used to be so many of them that you could collect dozens of them on the beach after a big storm. They had rules about how many lobster meals you could feed to servants during the week.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:05 AM

314 posts, read 1,105,099 times
I used to eat frog legs on a regular basis. Frog gigging, hunting bullfrogs at night with a spear mounted to a cane pole, was a major pastime for teenage boys where I grew up. Cleaned. roll them in flour, and deep-fried- usually with French fries- they were delicious.

And for the record, they taste like frog.

If yall want to find a food it takes guts to eat, chitlins are about as bad as it gets.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I heard that they jump around slightly in your skillet, when frying them. Is this true?
That's true. I think that is caused by the tendons contracting when they are first heated. I'm not sure about this part, but I think that mainly happens with fresh legs.

So.............if your legs are a jumping in the skillet, you are probably eatin' some nice, fresh legs.

I love escargot and like frog legs.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,140,887 times
Enjoy escargot...haven't tried frogs legs yet..

Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
Love escargot in white wine, garlic and butter sauce!

I have not had a chance to try frog legs yet but I would if I had the opportunity!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
I have never eaten escargot or Garden Snails, but I have eaten several kinds of sea snails from little 1/2 inch Black Rock Snails to big Moon Snails that need to be pounded tender to be edible.

Here, in the Olympic Rain Forest, we have huge Banana Slugs.
I have seen them almost a foot long.
Those big ones must weigh a pound or more.

Since they are basically snails without shells, I'll bet somebody eats them.
But maybe they don't taste good.

Anyone ever try one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink