Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 06:03 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Well, it works for me, and is backed up by my doctors. So you do you!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 06:26 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
But surely your insulin level fluctuates throughout the day? That's the whole point of fasting: to level it off somewhat and reap the benefits.

But we've wandered far afield of the gustatory pleasures of OMAD.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, it works for me, and is backed up by my doctors. So you do you!
That is the problem, I'm no longer trusting many doctors with outdated knowledge. There's a lot of recent data that can only be interpreted by doctors with advanced medical knowledge.

Insulin resistance has been recently identified as a serious problem and it has not been widely accepted by medical doctors because they weren't trained in medical schools.

It took several doctors that researched and discovered the mechanism of liver health, blood sugar changes to make sense of how insulin plays a huge factor in longevity and overall health factors.

Anybody who has insulin resistance need to do intermittent fasting before it's too late. When the doctors start telling you that you are having pre-diabetes. Why didn't they warn you before it started? A lot of doctors today are very insincere about metabolic health or just lack of formal knowledge of the subject.

I've seen many doctors over the years and none were able to cure my ailments and just kept prescribing me meds. Once I switched my diet around and start intermittent fasting all those conditions went away. Why didn't the doctors tell me to lose weight and fix my diet?

Old 04-01-2021, 10:18 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Someone has to tell you to lose weight?

Old 04-02-2021, 08:14 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Someone has to tell you to lose weight?
That was my first thought.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2021, 04:36 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Question.
No way can I do a one meal a day thing but routinely go 12 to 16 hours.
Supposedly, it takes about 8 hours for the stomach to empty so wouldn't the body start feeding on "itself" anytime after that?

Old 04-03-2021, 05:34 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've seen many doctors over the years and none were able to cure my ailments and just kept prescribing me meds. Once I switched my diet around and start intermittent fasting all those conditions went away. Why didn't the doctors tell me to lose weight and fix my diet?
I have never trusted doctors. Seen them mess up too much. I do my own research and blood tests and only go to the doctors if they have tests that I want. I will never understand people who say "well my doctor said"... I could care less about what my doctor said unless i can find independent studies / medical consensus that agrees with them.

I flat refuse any medications most of the time. On the short period I did not...every medication had to be quickly discontinued due to damage to my body.

I give you credit for trying to convert people (though I wonder why they are posting here if they don't want to OMAD) but I doubt it will work. Most people do what they want and are willing to pay the price for it. And, I do think that some diets -- even if they work in a different way can be good for some people. Such as vegetarian.

I was surprised this week to get back a ferritin test that was high -- just slightly -- I believe it was due to too much red meat. So even on the Keto / fasting diet you have to be careful. Yes my blood sugar is WONDERFUL and so is my insulin, but it does me no good if I am overdosing on Iron. But again, I lay that at the feed of my incompetent doctors. I believe these simple and cheap tests should be run on a yearly basis for every patient they could not be more cheap and avoid problems. But they don't.

Thank god for Elizabeth Holmes lobbying to get blood tests done without your doctor.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:15 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Question.
No way can I do a one meal a day thing but routinely go 12 to 16 hours.
Supposedly, it takes about 8 hours for the stomach to empty so wouldn't the body start feeding on "itself" anytime after that?
Not quite yet. You still have glycogen in your liver and muscles for the body to use for energy. It's about at the 16-hour mark that it has to start accessing your stored fat. Every hour after that is bonus fat-burning.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:31 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I started eating OMAD (before it even had that name) many years ago, when I was desperate to drop 15 pounds of stubborn baby weight right after the birth of my youngest. I'd tried drastically cutting calories, but that wasn't working. Then someone recommended the book "The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet" to me. I paid attention to the first chapter, where Dr. Rachel Heller described how she had lost a great deal of weight eating only one meal a day (the diet plan prescribes eating two low carbohydrate meals and one "eat-anything-you-want-but-keep-it-balanced Reward Meal", to be consumed in an hour).

I didn't bother with the "low carb meals" (I was impatient to have that baby weight gone FAST), so I started eating only the one meal a day (like Dr. Heller originally did), dinner in the evening, which I consumed in an hour. During the day, I'd have only black coffee and water. In less than two months, I was thinner than I was pre-pregnancy. I had no cravings during the day, and wasn't hungry or tired from the lack of food. I even did an intense exercise session every morning to accelerate the weight loss. I had that one meal a day to look forward to, knowing I could eat what I wanted (within reason). I didn't treat it like a "binge"...I tried to keep it balanced, with meat, potatoes (or other carb) and vegetables. And sometimes an alcoholic beverage or two or dessert with it.

Sometimes it seemed like I was eating enough food for a third world country at that one meal, but the pounds continued to quickly drop.

Almost 30 years later, I've kept the weight off, although I'm not as strict about the hour time frame (I've never been one for eating breakfast). If a few pounds are creeping up (like they did during the Covid lockdown), I go right back to the hour time limit.
I admire your self-discipline. Do you typically eat twice a day now when you're not trying to cut calories?

Old 04-13-2021, 02:52 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
I generally OMAD during the work week, but not consciously; it just works out that way and it generally is my post work meal. I refuse to wake up at the time needed to eat breakfast before work.

On the weekends, I'll eat 2-3 meals a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink