Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 10:34 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Buc Wheats cereal
Kellogg's OKs cereal
Reggie Bars
Frusen Gladje ice cream
Clearly Canadian
Sara Lee brownies
Clearly Canadian is back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 10:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
PB Maxx candy bars.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:23 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For me, It's not only discontinued foods. It's stuff that has changed it's flavor (in some cases, this may be because MY taste buds have changed. Especially my decrwased desire for very sweet things.)

As for discontinued stuff:

Banana Nestlé quick powder.
Black Crows candy
Callard and Bowser's toffee - ALL flavors
Turkish taffy - all flavors except the chocolate

And a newer one i desperately miss: Lay's truffle fries potato chips. (One of the flavors from Lay's contests. I think chicken and waffles flavor was the winner that year. I remain convinced that it was a phony election.)
Good news. Everything but the Callard and Bowser toffee can be found online. Have you tried Macintosh? It's an oldie and a goodie.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:16 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times
Morton Frozen Honey Buns
Razzles candy

Old 04-07-2021, 02:43 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Zucchini and tomato stew with wild rice. Very hippy-ish. '72 I am not fond of zucchini but my friends would make it for me. It wasn't too bad.

Nestles Instant Tea for making quick iced tea. Freeze-dried brewed tea.

Revels. Creamsicles. Popsicles. 10 cents. Any similar products now are of miniature size compared to '60s and 70s and they cost nearly $4.00/ea at the corner store.

Cuban Lunch chocolate bar. 10 cents.

Casseroles. Cheese/tuna/beef. I know people still make them but it was in every cook book then. The thing to make quickly for unexpected company in the days of the housewife and the husband bringing home the boss with no warning (60s).

Take out and fast food weren't as common back in the 60s for example. Yeah there was pizza and Chinese and A&W Drive-In burgers with glass mugs of root beer. Root beer floats tasted awesome.Speaking of floats. Can you buy them now?

Anyone remember A&W drive-ins? For those who don't know. You'd pull up to their parking lot and turn your headlights on. A server in an A&W uniform would skate up and take your order then you turn off your headlights. The server would come back with a tray of food they would attach to your rolled-down car window. Your date would take you there after the movies.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:01 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Yes, meat all tasted better back in the 60's/70's and had better texture.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
When I was a kid, we used to go to the boardwalk at Virginia Beach and watch them make salt water taffee and then we'd buy some that was still warm. When I went back and bought some recently, it wasn't the same but maybe like someone else said, it's my taste buds that have changed. I mean, the process LOOKED the same.

My mom used to make some sort of cobbler back in the 1970s that was nothing but a yellow cake mix, a stick of butter, and some canned fruit - really any sort of fruit canned in heavy syrup would do. I remember that she'd just spray coat a 9 x 12 pan, pour the fruit in there, sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the top, and then cut the stick of butter into butter pats and dot them on top, then bake in the oven till done - not sure how long that took but it wasn't long. I remember thinking that was the most clever thing in the world to bake!

My mom was not a great cook, but she did do some things well - spaghetti for one, and also sloppy joe's which we ate regularly. I think she made the spaghetti sauce from a mix in an envelope. But hey, she cooked supper every night. We only went out to eat after church on Sundays.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Zucchini and tomato stew with wild rice. Very hippy-ish. '72 I am not fond of zucchini but my friends would make it for me. It wasn't too bad.

Nestles Instant Tea for making quick iced tea. Freeze-dried brewed tea.

Revels. Creamsicles. Popsicles. 10 cents. Any similar products now are of miniature size compared to '60s and 70s and they cost nearly $4.00/ea at the corner store.

Cuban Lunch chocolate bar. 10 cents.

Casseroles. Cheese/tuna/beef. I know people still make them but it was in every cook book then. The thing to make quickly for unexpected company in the days of the housewife and the husband bringing home the boss with no warning (60s).

Take out and fast food weren't as common back in the 60s for example. Yeah there was pizza and Chinese and A&W Drive-In burgers with glass mugs of root beer. Root beer floats tasted awesome.Speaking of floats. Can you buy them now?

Anyone remember A&W drive-ins? For those who don't know. You'd pull up to their parking lot and turn your headlights on. A server in an A&W uniform would skate up and take your order then you turn off your headlights. The server would come back with a tray of food they would attach to your rolled-down car window. Your date would take you there after the movies.
I just saw root beer and coke floats at Dairy Queen! So yes, you can still buy them and wow, the advertisement sure did make me want one.

Remember that "Russian" tea or whatever that was made from Tang, cinnamon, sugar, instant tea, and who knows what else? You could serve it hot or cold. I used to think that was THE COOLEST THING EVER.

I remember hearing the ice cream truck way at the end of the block and I'd go into some sort of frenzy looking for change in the house!

Old 04-07-2021, 03:21 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
The first thing I thought of was Nabisco Bacon Thins. Oh, those were good. I think the last time I had them was around 1989-90 and they may have been around for a while longer, but I forgot about them. Then some time later I went to buy them, only to discover they were long gone. I loved them with cream cheese!

Old 04-07-2021, 03:26 PM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Fondue nights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink