Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

I like fennel, but I don't use it often. It's expensive, and I can't use it all before it gets soft and funky. Plus I feel so wasteful throwing away the fronds. So - three questions:

1. How do you store it?
2. How do you use the fronds? (Besides being a pretty garnish.)
3. How do you use fresh fennel? It has a strong anise flavor that can easily over power a dish. I use it sparingly in salads, soup, and I've ruined a few roasted/braised dishes by using too much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 10:01 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I like fennel, but I don't use it often. It's expensive, and I can't use it all before it gets soft and funky. Plus I feel so wasteful throwing away the fronds. So - three questions:

1. How do you store it?
3. How do you use fresh fennel? It has a strong anise flavor that can easily over power a dish. I use it sparingly in salads, soup, and I've ruined a few roasted/braised dishes by using too much of it.
The only time I've used it is with a lamb ragu recipe I make. In fact, I'm making some tomorrow. The recipe uses not only fresh fennel, but fennel seeds as well. Even though I generally don't like that Anise flavor, I really like it in that particular dish, so go figure.

Oh, and I just store mine in the fridge and usually cut off the fronds and toss them before storage (although your point about them making a pretty garnish is well taken).

Old 04-08-2021, 10:34 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Curious. I find fresh fennel to have a mild anise flavor, not enough to overpower. I use it in stir-fry, so I guess the other flavors are strong enough to hold up to it.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:08 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I use it with tart green apple, some fronds, lemon and olive oil.

I use it in wild rice pilaf.

Fennel gratin.

On a pizza with kalmata olives and pesto.

I usually cannot use up the fronds before they go bad, but use them as soup toppings and in salads.

I find the bulb loses some of it's strong flavor when cooked so you can put it in soups and such.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-08-2021, 12:02 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
The only time I've used fresh fennel is when I've made Ina Garten's roast chicken. It's wonderful!

Old 04-08-2021, 12:56 PM

1,371 posts, read 666,623 times
I usually keep it in the refrigerator with the plastic bag from the grocery it came in as that helps protect the skin.

I've used the fronds instead of dill for tzatziki on occasions, otherwise just as garnish. You can freeze dill and fennel fronds BTW wrapped in paper towels for use in something like tzatziki. The bulbs never last long enough for the fronds to go bad at my house because I plan 2 or 3 meals that use fennel when I am buying a fresh bulb.

Ina has a wonderful potato, fennel gratin with cream and I think onion slices. I've used it in a bacon, fennel, green onion soubise sauce for pasta, tagines, roasted chicken dishes, soups, etc. You can also use it raw and thinly sliced in salads, though it's too strong for me raw, though I love it cooked.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:54 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

1. How do you store it?
We store fennel as with most of our fresh produce in yellow vegetable bags, picked up at Amazon and helps everything stay crisp and fresh longer.
As for the tender fronds, we chop those and use in place of parsley in grilled/roasted sweet potato slices with EVOO, garlic and a touch of red pepper flakes. Wonderful!
A nice dish too is a fennel gratin using braised fennel which you may like as it gets a bit milder from the braising in a broth before assembling the gratin.
And our favorite fennel dish is a fennel orange salad, thinly sliced fennel, pared and sliced oranges, good EVOO, S&P and a few kalamata olives, with a garnish of the fronds.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:31 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I've been getting fennel lately from my Misfits Market boxes and I generally slice up a bulb and roast it when I do some sort of sheet pan dinner. I did roast it one night with carrots and tossed with olive oil and blood orange juice, super yummy. As far as storage I just put it in the fridge and it's good for about 10 days and the fronds I use for garnish but like the idea of trying them in a tzatziki.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:50 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I've been getting fennel lately from my Misfits Market boxes and I generally slice up a bulb and roast it when I do some sort of sheet pan dinner. I did roast it one night with carrots and tossed with olive oil and blood orange juice, super yummy. As far as storage I just put it in the fridge and it's good for about 10 days and the fronds I use for garnish but like the idea of trying them in a tzatziki.
Can you share your experience with misfit market? You can DM me too. I'm super interested by they have horrible reviews.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2021, 08:39 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
I buy it and grow it in the garden. Spaghetti sauce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink