Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 09:33 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times

Advertisements

I went to a hispanic market near my new neighborhood. We just bought this place last week. Anyway going through the aisle, I saw a bunch of middle eastern style items. Turns out it was a different ethnic market before it became a hispanic market. They had roasted eggplant in jars. I got some and made baba ghanoush with it.

I had never seen this product for sale before. I've roasted my own eggplant before. It's not a terrible task but the jar stuff is so much more convenient. Anyway, I went back and bought the remaining 3 jars they had. They won't be restocking this product. When it's all gone, I'll be sad. But till then I'll enjoy my homemade poor man's caviar.

I find the dip tastes a lot better when I heat the pita in the oven for around 5 minutes. It's OK with room temperature bread but heating it jacks up the pleasure a good bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 08:18 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Sounds good, never had baba ghanoush, but plenty of eggplant, which I like.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:46 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I've had the eggplant you describe. Maybe it was the brand that I purchased, but I found it VERY oily.

Panama City has an Indo-Pak International Grocery. I'm reasonably confident that they will carry it.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Walmart carries many different brands online. Just search for roasted eggplant.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've had the eggplant you describe. Maybe it was the brand that I purchased, but I found it VERY oily.

Panama City has an Indo-Pak International Grocery. I'm reasonably confident that they will carry it.
The brand I bought was Anatolia fine foods. anatolia

Old 06-09-2021, 02:29 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Yeah it varies wildly by brand, just like Dolma... I've had some come in a can with TONS of oil, while others were much lighter.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
Trader Joes carries it, along with any market that decides they have a sizable mediterranean/greek/lebanese/arabic customer base.

I like the one with tomato sauce + onions + eggplant, it's pleasant at room temperature.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:26 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,691,899 times
Guys, for years now I came up with a recipe in my head from nothing but I also love Eggplant/Berenjenas, this is a fantastic way of eating EP cooked in the oven and without the frying and added calories

I buy a nice sized Eggplant and Slice it the long way, top to bottom with the skin on...On a glass oven Pyrex I oil the botton (Olive Oil of course) and place 2-3 or 4 slices of the EP depending on the size of the glass .. Then they get covered with a mixture of canned Diced Tomatoes and canned Tomato sauce...More Oil then freshly grated Mozzarela Cheese, and back to the EP and the same steps..Until you get to the top with the cheese as the top product in the oven it goes, BTW the tomatoes are sprinkled with salt and whatever spices fill your heart.

That's it...When it comes out of the oven after in there for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees..Cover it let it cool of so that cutting into it doesnt make a mess in the dish..Still warm serve it with Pasta, oil and Garlic and you will be very, very happy with a great dish that doesnt cost and arm and a leg and tastes like a million bucs.

My pleasure if you enjoyed it.

~~Jano's Egg Plant in the Oven~~

Old 06-10-2021, 01:19 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Guys, for years now I came up with a recipe in my head from nothing but I also love Eggplant/Berenjenas, this is a fantastic way of eating EP cooked in the oven and without the frying and added calories

I buy a nice sized Eggplant and Slice it the long way, top to bottom with the skin on...On a glass oven Pyrex I oil the botton (Olive Oil of course) and place 2-3 or 4 slices of the EP depending on the size of the glass .. Then they get covered with a mixture of canned Diced Tomatoes and canned Tomato sauce...More Oil then freshly grated Mozzarela Cheese, and back to the EP and the same steps..Until you get to the top with the cheese as the top product in the oven it goes, BTW the tomatoes are sprinkled with salt and whatever spices fill your heart.

That's it...When it comes out of the oven after in there for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees..Cover it let it cool of so that cutting into it doesnt make a mess in the dish..Still warm serve it with Pasta, oil and Garlic and you will be very, very happy with a great dish that doesnt cost and arm and a leg and tastes like a million bucs.

My pleasure if you enjoyed it.

~~Jano's Egg Plant in the Oven~~
This actually sounds fantastic. I'll give it a shot! Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:29 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,691,899 times
You will love it I am sure . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink