Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 11:15 AM

87,961 posts, read 83,789,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
They're like other greens, but of course with their own distinct taste.

Kale
Collards
Turnip tops (the subject at hand; they're darn good mixed with chunks of turnip - ”turnips and tops”)
Mustard (I don't see this in stores very often, but they're really really good)
Chard (soft; cooks down a lot)
Spinach (really soft: a bushel of spinach cooks down to about two tablespoons - there's so much labor in stemming and washing and you get so litttle spinach out of it, that I hardly ever cook spinach any more. I do use it a lot raw in salads.)

One that is not sold in stores much at all is BEET greens. I hate beets, but I LOVE beet greens. My wife likes beets, but you have to start with a ton of beets to get a few greens. She doesn't like beets that well.
When I buy fresh beets, I also cook the greens. Very tasty. You do only get a few, but it works for me since I'm the only one eating them, whether I'm cooking for me alone or not.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:41 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,563,266 times
I like raw kale and spinach. Bought kale w/ apples and cranberries at Fresh Market recently. Whole foods has kale w/ oil and pomegranate juice & other things in it. Both good. The rest of them, forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 06:39 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

One that is not sold in stores much at all is BEET greens. I hate beets, but I LOVE beet greens. My wife likes beets, but you have to start with a ton of beets to get a few greens. She doesn't like beets that well.

Beet greens are excellent but they are scarce. My father used to grow a great number of beets but they were still rather scarce. Wht? They are the FAVORITE greens for the local deer population. The deer will trim all of the greens off while ignoring all of the other vegetables.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:44 AM

49,970 posts, read 63,277,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I buy fresh beets, I also cook the greens. Very tasty. You do only get a few, but it works for me since I'm the only one eating them, whether I'm cooking for me alone or not.
I was going to say that too. The beet greens are too beautiful to throw away, and they’re great, stir-fried in a bit of butter. I’m not a fan of any of the greens that are cooked to death.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:38 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
After this thread started, I had to run up to the grocery and pick up a couple of bunches of collard greens. However, they were not available so I had to settle for turnip greens and country ham.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:37 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times
I don't like the turnip greens but I love turnips. Raw, cut in wedges, dipped in ranch dressing.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:02 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,182,968 times
Obviously, I love turnip greens, good cornbread, big slice of onion, and pepper sauce. When the greens are gone, I sop my cornbread in the pot likker. Oh yeah, a big glass of sweet iced tea.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:28 PM

87,961 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Obviously, I love turnip greens, good cornbread, big slice of onion, and pepper sauce. When the greens are gone, I sop my cornbread in the pot likker. Oh yeah, a big glass of sweet iced tea.
That sounds good, except for the sweet tea.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:49 PM

12,954 posts, read 7,327,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
They are usually sold separate from the turnips, in bags, like spinach and lettuce.

My mother prepared them every once in a while but did not like the labor involved in washing them (before the washed greens in a bag were a thing). It was hard to get all of the grit off of them. She cooked them with salt, a dash of sugar, and fatback.

They can be bitter. I will eat them, but they are not on my list of favorites. My dad liked to put hot sauce on them.
To clean the sand/dirt from the tiny hairs on the leaf- Use a dash of detergent and light salted wash water. Rinse.

I like turnip greens (turnips, radishes) in fact most green vegetables. Turnip greens, I normally just make a broth soup with the greens. If we get enough greens, we can saute, stirfry them with a little meat and seasonings. Keep it simple.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:56 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,182,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This thread got me hungry. Tonight its going to be turnip greens, cornbread, onion, potato salad and porkchops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink