Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 08:41 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

The local Mickey D's near my house stopped serving salads during the pandemic, and although they've reopened the dining room and turned on the self-serve drink bar, the one thing they haven't put back is salads.

This reporter/blogger from June 2020 believes that salads are gone for good. Says McD's saves money by only having to buy one kind of lettuce, instead of two. Huh? They're past masters at purchasing and manufacturing their product; I have to believe they can manage "two kinds of lettuce". But what do I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 08:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
McD's has had salads on there menu for as long as I can remember in all the stores I have been to across the country, and Canada.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:17 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
They stopped during the pandemic and the salads have not been brought back to the menu here in Northern California.

I read that they wanted to simplify the menu during the pandemic.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:44 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
Even their salads taste mcdonaldsasized.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:08 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Burger King has a chicken salad and a side salad.

Wendy's has an impressive offering of six different salads -- Summer Strawberry Salad, Jalapeño Popper Salad, Parmesan Caesar Salad, etc.

Burger King also serves Impossible whoppers. I've tried them and it's not really to my taste; I prefer the real thing. But it does provide a vegetarian alternative.

I would think McDonald's would want to stay competitive, and to offer more nutritious and vegetarian choices. But maybe those days are over and Americans just want to eat good old fashioned fast food again, and the heck with nutrition?

Old 08-13-2021, 04:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I don't do McD but looked up their full menu, and the closest thing to a salad is apple slices. I don't think they will ever appeal to the diet conscience. Their target now is the busy soccer mom that has to grab meals fast between picking up Kyle from soccer practice and Sophia to dance lessons.

I wouldn't get a salad at a fast food place, anyway. I prefer a brewpub for burgers and will get salads there, also at a local pizza place we have that has a great, generous sized Greek salad.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:36 PM

106 posts, read 63,099 times
At this rate, there will soon be one type of burger.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:23 PM

445 posts, read 282,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
But what do I know.

Apparently not much if you're going to McDonald's for their salad.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:08 PM

1,465 posts, read 622,318 times
McDonald's should have never caved by putting salads on their menu.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:30 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Burger King has a chicken salad and a side salad.

Wendy's has an impressive offering of six different salads -- Summer Strawberry Salad, Jalapeño Popper Salad, Parmesan Caesar Salad, etc.

Burger King also serves Impossible whoppers. I've tried them and it's not really to my taste; I prefer the real thing. But it does provide a vegetarian alternative.

I would think McDonald's would want to stay competitive, and to offer more nutritious and vegetarian choices. But maybe those days are over and Americans just want to eat good old fashioned fast food again, and the heck with nutrition?
I don't think it has anything to do with what Americans want to eat, but with what McDonalds wants to sell. When talking megacorps, the lemonade stand rules of business we all think about just don't apply. Their business decisions are made by armies of financial types counting pennies without regard to what happens at the front counter.

If five people come in and three want a Big Mac, ones wants Mcnuggets, and one wants a salad, they figure that one person will buy a Big Mac or Nuggets if the salad isn't available, so they haven't lost a sale and saved money on supplies and labor.

They probably figure no one comes into McDonalds just for a salad so no skin off their nose. Though I have gone into Chick Fil A and Wendy's specifically for their salads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink