Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you like best on your burger?
mayo 43 42.16%
ketchup 58 56.86%
mustard 45 44.12%
onions (raw) 49 48.04%
onions (fried) 24 23.53%
fried green peppers 7 6.86%
cheese 70 68.63%
BBQ sause 8 7.84%
lettuce 55 53.92%
tomato 64 62.75%
salsa 6 5.88%
other, I'll leave it in comment 27 26.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 PM

121 posts, read 388,384 times

Advertisements

Some swiss cheese, a pile of sauerkraut, and a little Russian dressing, on the burger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
I'm not talking fast food. When you go out to eat or make them at home... what makes a good burger best?

The poll has multiple options, so pick everything that applies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,434 times
I like my hamburgers several ways, but if dressing it myself my first choice is to top it with Swiss cheese, bacon, raw onion, fried (actually blackened) onions, mayonnaise, A-1 steak sauce, and plenty of black pepper. I cook the burger in a cast iron skillet at high heat so it will be seared and blackened a bit on the outside and rare in the middle.

I also like to make stuffed burgers...two thinner patties for each final patty...placing a bit of filling on one patty then putting the other patty on top and sealing/crimping the edges and frying. You can put all sorts of fillings in the middle, including cheese, onions (raw or cooked), mushrooms, hot peppers, bacon, etc.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
OH MAN, you know Buffalo did something for the world when they came up with those. I love me some good spicey Buffalo wings and bleu cheese salad dressing.
Lindsey, of course, up here... we don't add on salad dressing when calling for bleu cheese.

Eagle Scout, sauerkraut? on a burger? I never tried that one! I'll let you know when I do.

buckhead, when I make my secret family recipe BBQ burgers, I mix in chopped onions & peppers to the burgers before cooking.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
I also like to make stuffed burgers...two thinner patties for each final patty...placing a bit of filling on one patty then putting the other patty on top and sealing/crimping the edges and frying. You can put all sorts of fillings in the middle, including cheese, onions (raw or cooked), mushrooms, hot peppers, bacon, etc.
I don't eat a lot of burgers, however when I do I usually make a stuffed burger similar to what you described using blue cheese.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Avocado, bacon, mushroom, and sharp cheddar is my burger of choice.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 AM

32 posts, read 121,058 times
You have to have Beetroot (sliced canned beetroot is fine) on the burger. This makes it an Aussie Burger. We all have it on our burgers over here!

I like all sorts of other things (if i am making it myself). Not necessarily all of these at once, but, Avocado, hot chilli sauce, bacon, fried egg, red grilled capsicum (pepper).

Try making the burger meat with minced (ground) lamb instead of beef - much more flavour!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i dont like mustard on my burgers when i am out, but i always put it on when i make them at home--i dont even know why, it tastes better to me that way...
i also like pickles
YES - MUSTARD!! I didn't know anyone else in the world knew this!!
A long long time ago, a friend told me steaks taste best when one side has a very thin rub of mustard and that's the side you cook first. I thought he was stark raving mad. But I was in love with him so I tried it. YUMMMMMMO!! Later, I tried it on hamburgers. YUMMMMMO!! And I always cook beef that way.

You're right -- you don't taste the mustard, but the meat tastes deeper, richer, right?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
I like my hamburgers several ways, but if dressing it myself my first choice is to top it with Swiss cheese, bacon, raw onion, fried (actually blackened) onions, mayonnaise, A-1 steak sauce, and plenty of black pepper. I cook the burger in a cast iron skillet at high heat so it will be seared and blackened a bit on the outside and rare in the middle.

Buckhead, you are a very complicated person!!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
I haven't had a burger at a restaurant for a long time until last weekend. A burger at Applebees, now I know why I don't get them. I didn't even eat 1/2 of it.

At home I make the kids put the ketchup on the plate and dip it and they have to try at least one good bite before pile'n into the ketchup. My fav way is just plain w/or w/out cheese. I have my salad on the side. Ketchup is my biggest "petpeve"(sp?), I hate it on any meat and I hate it when people put it on meat I've smoked/grilled before they taste it. If they put it on after they try it, then I know they are think'n "this tastes like crap".

Old 05-16-2008, 07:04 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I never dress burgers the same way twice in a row! Favorite combos include:

Barbecue sauce and onions
Salsa and cheese
Jalapeno mustard and onion
Mustard, pickle, lettuce, tomato, cheese
Avocado, bacon and feta
Bacon and blue cheese, tomato and lettuce
Feta, tomato and onion

No ketchup. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink