Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times

Advertisements

Am I overreacting?

I am new to cooking and went to quite a bit of effort tonight to make dinner. I made chicken breasts which I had kept overnight in a bar-be-que sauce, baked the breasts and put a parmesan cheese crust on top. Mashed potatoe, beans and cauliflower.

The second I served it up my DH's phone rang and he spent the next 5 minutes on the phone with his Mum, leaving his plate of food to go cold.

I'm irritated because he could have just said that he would call her back in 10 mins.

I know this isn't a big deal, but I'm irritated and he says he can't understand why that would annoy me and that there must be some other underlaying reason.

Any thoughts? Was he a bit rude, or is that normal and I just need to get used to it?

I guess I feel like I'm making an effort to learn to cook so he should be especially grateful! Lol. Probably too much to expect?

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Your question is not about Food and Drink and actually belongs in the Relationships thread.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Your question is not about Food and Drink and actually belongs in the Relationships thread.
Ok, forget about it then. It's not a big deal anyway. I was just wondering if other cooks find it annoying if people don't take their offerings seriously.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:40 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,433 times
My husband often comes to the table later than us. It's really not a big deal, but that's just me. I figure if he wants to eat cold food, that's his prerogative. As long as he compliments my cooking, of course. LOL He's an adult and can choose how he eats my fabulous food.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Well, I think it was pretty inconsiderate. If he knew you went to a lot of trouble to fix a nice meal, he should have told his mother he would call her back. If he thinks there's an underlying reason, which I imagine is the fact that it was his mom, ask him how she'd feel if he walked away from her dinner table to take a phone call.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:04 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Am I overreacting?

I am new to cooking and went to quite a bit of effort tonight to make dinner. I made chicken breasts which I had kept overnight in a bar-be-que sauce, baked the breasts and put a parmesan cheese crust on top. Mashed potatoe, beans and cauliflower.

The second I served it up my DH's phone rang and he spent the next 5 minutes on the phone with his Mum, leaving his plate of food to go cold.

I'm irritated because he could have just said that he would call her back in 10 mins.

I know this isn't a big deal, but I'm irritated and he says he can't understand why that would annoy me and that there must be some other underlaying reason.

Any thoughts? Was he a bit rude, or is that normal and I just need to get used to it?

I guess I feel like I'm making an effort to learn to cook so he should be especially grateful! Lol. Probably too much to expect?

Comments?

He needs to understand that a phone call is a request for a response, not a demand for action! His phone is for HIS convenience, not the convenience of the caller.

Your meal sounds yummy, BTW! I'd turn my phone off- forget about mute- for a meal like this!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
I take my cooking seriously, was in the biz for years, and if someone blows my food off, I do get a bit testy. I can understand a biz call, or a serious family matter, but if one is just chatting about nothing, I think that is a bit rude to the one that went to all the effort to cook a meal. Its just a matter of manners. That is one of the things that glaringly that seems to be lacking in todays society, just plain, simple manners, and regard for others.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
It's very simple to say "Mom we're just sitting down for dinner can I call you back when we're done?" Just plain old manners and consideration.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:50 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
To the OP: Do you ever answer the phone during a meal? Why not make a pact that no one will answer the phone during the mealtime? You said in your post that you are fairly new to cooking so now might be a great time to set some ground rules. Even if we order out we still place the food on plates and eat at the table.

I like to have candles lit, soft music playing in the background during dinner. So, whatever it takes to make your meals an "event" do that. To me, the meal isn't just about the food.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:40 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Your husband and you mil were both very rude to you. She should have asked what he was doing, unless the call was an emergency. He is the one with the problem, not you. It is abusive for him to suggest that you have a problem. If you spend that much time to fix him a dish like that, the least he could do is eat it at its best. Then he should have paid you the proper attention for having taken so much energy to make him happy.
He acted like a jerk!

Could he be one of those people that you don't want to let know what bothers you. The next time he does this, just pretend you didn't even notice. Just enjoy your meal while he is talking and if he mentions how cold it is, don't warm it for him. Just say, I thought you must like it cold since you decided to talk on the phone instead of eat it. Let the spoiled brat learn to live with his actions. Evidently his mother never did or he would be more considerate.

BTW, I probably would not have seen this in the relationship area. I don't usually go there.

My husband works from home and I declare two of his business friends have radar. He will not inconvenience them either. So I know how you feel.

Last edited by NCN; 05-17-2008 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink