Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 06:53 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

How much coffee do you drink in a day such that the amount of cream in it is a dietary concern? If it's that bad, then you need to drop the coffee too since it can affect your GERD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 09:25 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Wow - so did you switch cold turkey or just gradually use less of each over time?

And Steiconi - how is "fat-free" half and half? It seems like a complete oxymoron - does it have the thick consistency and "act" like half and half?
I mutter under my breath with disgust when I see fat-free half and half in the refrigerator case. I accidentally bought some one day. Not sure what they do to it to make it thicker, but like most "fat-free" products, the fat is replaced with some form of sugar. It does not taste the same as normal half and half at all.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:50 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I mutter under my breath with disgust when I see fat-free half and half in the refrigerator case. I accidentally bought some one day. Not sure what they do to it to make it thicker, but like most "fat-free" products, the fat is replaced with some form of sugar. It does not taste the same as normal half and half at all.
+1
Additionally, the added sugar in fat-free half and half will add carbs to your morning beverage, and if one is trying to control his/her weight, that pseudo half & half is not a good idea.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:37 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How much will you use on a daily basis? If it's only a cup or two of coffee, just use the cream.
Second this!^^^

Are you living to enjoy your life or living to die healthy?

Enjoy the little pleasure in life, find other ways to offset your “transgressions”

Btw, they say that dietary cholesterol- the eggs, red meat, shrimp, etc. contributes around 1% to cholesterol in blood.

Live a little!

Old 02-20-2022, 12:39 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Additionally, the added sugar in fat-free half and half will add carbs to your morning beverage, and if one is trying to control his/her weight, that pseudo half & half is not a good idea.
Good to know! I almost bought some yesterday but changed my mind at the last minute.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:54 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How much will you use on a daily basis? If it's only a cup or two of coffee, just use the cream.
Um. I'm skating in hell holding hands with Suzy.

100% AGREE WITH YOU!!!!

LOL

Old 02-20-2022, 12:55 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Instant coffee tastes good depending on the ph (and I guess pollution) of the water in your community.
In my more rural hometown, 250 miles away, soft water makes it taste fine.
But in my city with hard water it doesn't taste the same so I don't drink it.
Perhaps there is more chlorine and flouride in city water?

Old 02-20-2022, 02:37 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for the holy grail here. I'm looking for a coffee creamer alternative that is a) CREAMY--not watery b) somewhat all natural c) low cholesterol d) relatively low in calories.

My bad cholesteral is testing high and I have GERD. I'm ignoring the GERD for the moment because it's really not that bad, I just experience some burping.

The issue is that I'm a self-confessed "coffee wimp." I need CREAM (not milk) and sugar to make coffee palatable. Once those requirements are satisfied I LOVE coffee. I should also cut out the sugar but I'm willing to substitute the sugar with stevia. The problem is that I have not been able to find a suitable replacement for the cream.

I've tried a few nut creamers--too watery and I don't like the taste. I've used half-half and that's OK but I still worry about the fat content. I actually do like the original Coffeemate (liquid and dry) but it's not exactly low cholesterol and is filled with chemicals that I probably shouldn't be ingesting.

The real issue is creaminess. I want the texture and color cream gives my coffee without the cholesterol.

Is there such a beast out there?
My in laws loved Mocha Mix. It’s in the refrigeration cases. Non dairy creamer. They loved it.

To me, it was okay. But my taste preference for coffee is always milk. 2%. No sugar. The Mocha Mix was rich, like cream, and not oily like creamer. I’ve been to peoples houses where it’s coffee with nondairy creamer, or tea and when faced with that choice I’ll take the tea.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:29 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
For me its International Delight Zero Sugar Caramel Macchiato. I can't do the soy, rice, oat or any other similar item. They just ruin the coffee. The below is delicious and works with keto. No cholesterol.

https://www.internationaldelight.com...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 02-20-2022, 08:10 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Isn't fat free half and half just skim milk with sugar?

Fat free half and half is an oxymoron. By definition, it has fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink