U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,086,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I don't eat lobster and never will, just because of the inhumane way that they kill them. My husband loves lobster and he orders it whenever he can, then he tries to get me to eat it. No way, they scream when they are boiled ALIVE!
May I assume that you are a vegetarian or only eat Kosher meat? Hmmmm..... how do you humanely kill a cow or a chicken? How do you humanely harvest lettuce or carrots without killing the plant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 AM

342 posts, read 651,808 times
Default Cooking Lobster

I watch the Food Network show and Alton Brown says to put them in the refrigerator to numb them before putting them in the pot.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:33 AM

20,524 posts, read 16,839,566 times
Ive always been a sucker for tall tales but supposedly youre supposed to put the lobster in boiling water head first...as they have the ability to release poison throughout their bodies if given any time to know they are going to die.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM

227 posts, read 785,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
I watch the Food Network show and Alton Brown says to put them in the refrigerator to numb them before putting them in the pot.
That's probably true. We usually put the water on to boil when we hear the lobster boat pull up, so ours usually go straight from the freezing cold Atlantic Ocean into the pot.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,668,763 times
This thread has gone on forever! If you eat you WILL hurt something/someones feelings. Plant or animal.

I say, bite the head off and throw into boiling water. In 30 sec he/she will be in a better place anyway.

BTW - I didn't know lobsters had vocal cords to scream with. Haven't seen them in any operas.....guess I better pay better attention.

Another idea - take the rubber bands off the claws, let him pinch your finger, then decide how to kill him. Yea, bite his head off and into boiling water.

Yea, I'm on it tonight. I'm just try'n to make light of what you are talk'n about.

If ya don't want to hurt it, don't f'n buy it. Pretty simple to me.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:20 PM

3,541 posts, read 9,081,019 times
yeah ok. get your lobster drunk before you dump it in the boiling water so he won't feel the pain as much. lol I guess that's just bum luck to be on the bottom of the food chain. sure tastes good though. OH yeah, how do you kill a head of lettuce humanely or a tomato or a green bean ?

Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,267,459 times
How many different ways can you kill a living creature? Oh, so very many...

I like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
If ya don't want to hurt it, don't f'n buy it. Pretty simple to me.
And may I add, "..don't f'n buy it, and don't f'n eat it." It is a pretty simple concept.

Dolphins don't have vocal cords, either. And yet they have a highly complex systems of "talking", i.e., communicating with each other. They can be heard screaming whether in sorrow or pain. They can be heard laughing, singing, etc.

So, vocal chords are not necessary to "scream." I don't think having or not having vocal chords limits a creature's ability to make noise.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:56 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,767,447 times
They don't scream, for goodness sake- it's air coming out of their shells. Just get some water boiling, throw in a little salt, and then throw the lobsters in. When they're done... eat them.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:57 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,267,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
They don't scream, for goodness sake- it's air coming out of their shells. Just get some water boiling, throw in a little salt, and then throw the lobsters in. When they're done... eat them.

I know that. That's what I just said...or, I thought I just said!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:03 PM

168 posts, read 319,091 times
Default Freeze the poor thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Good post! Your idea sounds the best IMO, making them drousy first.

Is there 'drunken lobster' .. like drunken crab?

It sort of works the same way I think .. sit them in wine for awhile and they get 'drunk' and then the sharp knife bit.

Yes freezing the lobster for a bit will do the trick!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink