Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:09 AM

43 posts, read 38,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I dunno.

I watched, horrified, while a fisherman skinned and gutted his fish alive, while they were flailing all over the place.

Sure looked like they were in pain to me.
That's because fish are vertebrates. Lobsters are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
When we had clam bakes on the beach, my little cousin used to cry for the poor clams.

She said she could hear them screaming.

My uncle told her that clams don't scream and what she was hearing was the ears of corn steaming.

So she cried for the poor corn.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM

250 posts, read 335,742 times
Boiled alive in salt water. Served with butter and garlic.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 PM

75 posts, read 142,173 times
Hmm, interesting thread. I didn't read the whole thing but I now have a couple of questions after reading some of the replies.

1-If it's true that lobsters and other creatures don't have nervous systems and can therefore not feel pain, why is it that they wiggle and squabble around when we try to kill them?? (I don't just mean lobsters here.) They must do it for a reason no? If they didn't feel pain they'd just go around acting normal.

2- Hmm I took a break and now I don't remember what my second question was...

Old 06-05-2008, 04:28 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Putting a lobster in the fridge isn't going to kill or numb it. Think about this for a second. The Atlantic ocean is pretty darned cold. We put our lobsters in the fridge overnight to keep them from getting warm and dying if we aren't going to cook them immediately.
Quote:
1-If it's true that lobsters and other creatures don't have nervous systems and can therefore not feel pain, why is it that they wiggle and squabble around when we try to kill them?? (I don't just mean lobsters here.) They must do it for a reason no? If they didn't feel pain they'd just go around acting normal.
Fight or flight response. It's a reaction, not thought.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:17 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
lol........ some of the posts here had me laughing !!

If you dont want to kill it, fine have someone else do it, or buy it already frozen pieces, no *Screaming* or Pain

I never done the real Lobster thing, as I dont really know how to handle them but we buy them frozen from Sams>..... yummie

Old 06-05-2008, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 10,983 times
Default Lobsters are really just big Roaches

The most humane wat to dispatch a Lobster is to place them in the Freezer for 15 minutes. They will just go to sleep and you can then throw them in the pot of boiling water and they are gone before they know what happened to them. While Lobster are most closely related to roaches, they sure are tasty.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 PM

75 posts, read 142,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Putting a lobster in the fridge isn't going to kill or numb it. Think about this for a second. The Atlantic ocean is pretty darned cold. We put our lobsters in the fridge overnight to keep them from getting warm and dying if we aren't going to cook them immediately.

Fight or flight response. It's a reaction, not thought.
No no, I don't mean when they're trying to put up a fight or trying to escape, I mean when we actually harm an animal (that supposedly doesn't have a nervous system) and it'll act all crazy as if it was in a lot of pain, if it didn't feel pain, wouldn't it just act normal? How does it know it's harmed?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Say your goodbyes,and tell him that you will see HIM later... put him down in some salted boiling water, and wait. smile, when he comes out, and enjoy! LOL.....

Old 06-06-2008, 01:44 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Get a syringe and feed it with White Wine or other alcohol, it will put it right to sleep and make the meat taste better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink