Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 05:48 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What's your concern, OP?
Salmonella? The pizza was backed in 500+F . It's safe.
Getting cold during your long drive?
You can safely reheat it. Use above methods and it will be still delicious. Just please don't put it in microwave.

Any insulated bag will work. You can also wrap it in a blanket or your winter jacket.
So I ordered the pizza to take home around 5 pm. This is a chicago style deep dish pizza, so kind of thick and retains heat better than the thin type. When I arrived home at 6 pm it is still kind of warm and eatable straight, in its box without any additional insulation bag.

But I still reheated it. I wanted that piping hot feel with melted cheese. Took the slices out and placed on baking sheet, covered them with tin foil, then baked at 325 reheat temperature for about 30 min. It was good as new.

My concern with this is not the food going bad, but that I put a premium on "fresh out of the oven" food. For most food reheating is not the same. Also I feel paying restaurant prices means not cooking yourself.

But just for pizza and maybe a very few other food, it's possible to retain the near-original quality if you put you put in the work. I use tin foil cover with a few tiny gap baked in 325 to avoid soggy or overly hard crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 05:59 AM

979 posts, read 417,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Next to my work place there is a Zachary's Chicago style pizza which is a local favorite. I am thinking about ordering a pie to bring home after work. But I live 35 miles away; with traffic it can sit in my car for up to 50 minutes. Does it make sense to do this takeout order? Is it common to take a pizza on such a long drive?

Anyway for me to keep the pizza still in tip top condition after such a long drive?
It won't ever be the same as if it just came from the oven. Abort.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:38 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
If you are that concerned, eat it in the car on the way home .... jiminy.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Next to my work place there is a Zachary's Chicago style pizza which is a local favorite. I am thinking about ordering a pie to bring home after work. But I live 35 miles away; with traffic it can sit in my car for up to 50 minutes. Does it make sense to do this takeout order? Is it common to take a pizza on such a long drive?

Anyway for me to keep the pizza still in tip top condition after such a long drive?
My wife and I have been doing this 3-4 times a month for over 20 years. Sometimes the pizza is still warm enough when we get it home. Some pizza shops will also do a half-baked pizza where you finish baking it at home.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:28 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Can you order your Chicago-style pizza only half-baked? Then take it home & finish baking?

Old 02-26-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
If you are that concerned, eat it in the car on the way home .... jiminy.
And people cannot tell a piece is missing because I reheat 3 pieces at a time in toaster oven...

Old 02-26-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Can you order your Chicago-style pizza only half-baked? Then take it home & finish baking?
Yes at the store I did see them advertise "half-baked pizza to finish at home". There is a 15% discount too, on Tuesdays.

Probably worthy of a separate thread, but how does the "half-bake" approach work? I never tried cooking in 2 stages. For pizza, is it as simple as setting a shorter amount of time for the at-home part, or are there other special handling? Like for me, I feel I need to wrap the pizza in baking pan and tin foil on top, so to heat the whole thing evenly and not making the crust too dry and hard.

Old 02-26-2022, 02:18 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I don't think it would last 50 minutes in a car with me. It would have to be in the trunk.

And reheating for 30 minutes? It doesn't even take that long to cook the pizza in the first place. If I reheat pizza, it is in the toaster oven on a medium toast setting.

Old 02-26-2022, 03:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Yes at the store I did see them advertise "half-baked pizza to finish at home". There is a 15% discount too, on Tuesdays.

Probably worthy of a separate thread, but how does the "half-bake" approach work? I never tried cooking in 2 stages. For pizza, is it as simple as setting a shorter amount of time for the at-home part, or are there other special handling? Like for me, I feel I need to wrap the pizza in baking pan and tin foil on top, so to heat the whole thing evenly and not making the crust too dry and hard.
Surely the best place to get advice on finishing the cooking process would be the place that did everything else rather than an internet forum but I would suggest that continuing to cook the pizza as close to the original heat as possible would be best. Ask the pizza guy what temperature that is and I'm sure you'll find it is at least 500 degrees; heating it at the 325 for the long period you cited would certainly dry it out more. I also suspect you will be told to not cover it - they don't.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:01 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Half of it would be gone by the time I got home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink