Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 12:11 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

The ONLY reason I buy buttermilk is to make ranch salad dressing, which I'm obsessed with. I don't bake and I've tried to use the leftover buttermilk for cooking/marinating, but I really don't care for the results.

So - can I freeze the buttermilk and use it later to make another batch of ranch dressing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 12:18 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
don't know. freeze a little to see if the "caseine" precipitates out.
Buttermilk lasts a longtime. Typically I use it in pancakes, breakfast cereal, oatmeal. Wife used it in her breads.
YbmMV

secret recipe?

Old 03-01-2022, 01:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
The quart of buttermilk that I just finished was 60 days past the expiration date. It worked fine.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:53 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Yes. It freezes just fine.

I freeze it these small 1/2 cup freezer containers.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:36 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I'd just drink it but that's me. Ice cold buttermilk is such a treat

Old 03-03-2022, 12:08 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I buy the powdered buttermilk because fresh buttermilk is only available from march to end of April. I use it to make Irish soda bread.

Old 03-03-2022, 05:46 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I don't like drinking any sort of milk as I find it a little gross (technical term ) - but for some reason your post took me back years to a business trip to a client in the Netherlands. I can't remember if it was every day or just Fridays but someone came around with a cart to offer all the employees at the end of the day their choice of a glass of buttermilk or a Heineken. I chose the latter. I found the custom (which was company specific as I understood it) both funny and lovely.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:43 AM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Well, the only way to know is to try it. It's not like having to throw out half a carton of buttermilk is going to ruin you financially.

Don't forget, there's always cornbread. That, to me, is the highest use of buttermilk. Just don't put sugar in your cornbread.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:05 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Sorry, but yuck. But I don't even like regular milk (unless it's mixed with a heavy dose of strawberry nestle's quik. I still really miss the banana quik. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, the only way to know is to try it. It's not like having to throw out half a carton of buttermilk is going to ruin you financially.

Don't forget, there's always cornbread. That, to me, is the highest use of buttermilk. Just don't put sugar in your cornbread.
LOL! Yes, I've been throwing it away. If I can freeze it, great. Otherwise, it hits the trash. (We're not big cornbread fans. Once or twice a year is plenty.)

I've tried powdered buttermilk. It was okay, but not the same mouthful or Tangy-ness.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 03-04-2022 at 08:15 AM..

Old 03-04-2022, 11:06 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I don't like drinking any sort of milk as I find it a little gross (technical term ) - but for some reason your post took me back years to a business trip to a client in the Netherlands. I can't remember if it was every day or just Fridays but someone came around with a cart to offer all the employees at the end of the day their choice of a glass of buttermilk or a Heineken. I chose the latter. I found the custom (which was company specific as I understood it) both funny and lovely.
Love the Netherlands - my kind of folks! Dairy as far as the eye can see. Hollandaise got its name in honor of the butter the French preferred for the sauce, which of course came from Holland.

As for grossness, I think it's much like certain other foods, and if you weren't brought up on it from an early age or had it introduced during childhood, then it seems "off." Or it could just be a textural thing, like a lot of folks who hate tomatoes because they find them slimy.

Buttermilk is a special treat I have been indulging in for as far back as I can remember. If I have a choice between a glass of milk or buttermilk, no question I'm picking the buttermilk. I can drink milk too, but it isn't my first choice, and if it has been out of the fridge for longer than 30 seconds then I'm not even going to try it.

The tanginess of buttermilk, hmm, I now have to pick some up again next trip to Costco Business Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink