Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 11:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I rarely bought frozen meals until Covid. Then that was the game plan. I found Stouffers wasn't as good as it had been years ago, very short on cheese and kind of soupy. Still it was better than the others I tried, flavor wise. In a pinch I'll make a quick version using cooked egg noodles layered with a ricotta, mozzarella, egg mixture, and sauce. Two or three layers, and baked about an hour. Comes out tasty.
There is NO need to cook lasagna noodles prior to baking. Use the uncooked noodles as called for by the recipe. When you have the entire lasagna assembled, cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap. Then, cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil for about 50 minutes. Remove both layers and then place a layer of cheese and return to the oven about 20 minutes.

I worked in a commercial kitchen where we served 600 servings of lasagna on the days that we served it. We were NOT using cooked noodles and the lasagna turned out just perfect. And it was a hell of a lot better than Stouffer's of 2022. Of course, that is like winning the 6 inch high hurdles.

There was a time when Stouffer's was top of the line product developed in their hotel kitchens. Now, under Nestle, it has been all down hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 04:47 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There is NO need to cook lasagna noodles prior to baking. Use the uncooked noodles as called for by the recipe. When you have the entire lasagna assembled, cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap. Then, cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil for about 50 minutes. Remove both layers and then place a layer of cheese and return to the oven about 20 minutes.

I worked in a commercial kitchen where we served 600 servings of lasagna on the days that we served it. We were NOT using cooked noodles and the lasagna turned out just perfect. And it was a hell of a lot better than Stouffer's of 2022. Of course, that is like winning the 6 inch high hurdles.

There was a time when Stouffer's was top of the line product developed in their hotel kitchens. Now, under Nestle, it has been all down hill.
I didn't know it was associated with any hotels (never heard of a Stouffer's hotel) but I do remember their frozen products being a little better and more expensive brand. Used to get Stouffer's French Bread frozen pizzas. Didn't get them for years, and then when I did again, it was not the same.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't know it was associated with any hotels (never heard of a Stouffer's hotel) but I do remember their frozen products being a little better and more expensive brand. Used to get Stouffer's French Bread frozen pizzas. Didn't get them for years, and then when I did again, it was not the same.
Stouffer's was a chain of luxury hotels headquartered in Cleveland (which is also the home of the frozen food division). Stouffer's was acquired by Nestle in the 1970s as they wanted the frozen food business. Nestle sold the hotels and restaurant divisions to Marriott and were eventually rebranded to Renaissance Hotels.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:02 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Birds Eye Lasagna (veggie)

Old 08-05-2022, 11:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Stouffer's was a chain of luxury hotels headquartered in Cleveland (which is also the home of the frozen food division). Stouffer's was acquired by Nestle in the 1970s as they wanted the frozen food business. Nestle sold the hotels and restaurant divisions to Marriott and were eventually rebranded to Renaissance Hotels.
Ah! I have stayed at a Renaissance for a business conference a couple of times. Pricey, but I didn't have to pay.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:36 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Love Stouffers Veggie Lasagna.....wish it didn`t have carbs

Old 08-21-2022, 12:14 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
My own homemade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink