Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 02:12 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,154 times

Advertisements

Here is the response I rcvd from Driscolls:

Thank you for contacting Driscolls, and for following up with us. It was disheartening to learn about your unfortunate experience with your recent berry purchase. We received the photo that you sent and it does appear to be mold. Mold develops and thrives at high temperatures, so we try and minimize this problem by working hand-in-hand with our distribution and retail partners to ensure that the berries you purchase are of the finest, most flavorful and nutritious quality.

All of our berries are picked and packed in the field at the time of harvest. From there the berries are taken to our cooler facility where they are kept in refrigeration until they are transferred onto refrigerated trucks and delivered to markets throughout the United States. To ensure quality and freshness, they are not touched again until opened by you for consumption. During this entire process they should never be out of temperatures between 32-34 degrees Fahrenheit; temperatures any warmer hasten the berries’ natural breakdown and makes them more susceptible to mold.

Once home the berries should be stored in your refrigerator until ready to rinse and use. All berries should be gently rinsed with cool water and thoroughly drained. Rinse strawberries with the stems on so they don’t absorb additional water. Should you spot any moldy berries, please discard them immediately as mold spreads. Your berries should last from 1-3 days depending on the type purchased. We recommend using your berries as close to the purchase date as possible to ensure the freshest quality.

I hope that this information has provided some insight into the processes that are in place to minimize mold. Again, please accept my apologies regarding your berry purchase and thank you for sharing your concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 03:55 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post

Thank you for contacting Driscolls, and for following up with us. It was disheartening to learn about your unfortunate experience with your recent berry purchase. We received the photo that you sent and it does appear to be mold. Mold develops and thrives at high temperatures, so we try and minimize this problem by working hand-in-hand with our distribution and retail partners to ensure that the berries you purchase are of the finest, most flavorful and nutritious quality.

All of our berries are picked and packed in the field at the time of harvest. From there the berries are taken to our cooler facility where they are kept in refrigeration until they are transferred onto refrigerated trucks and delivered to markets throughout the United States. To ensure quality and freshness, they are not touched again until opened by you for consumption. During this entire process they should never be out of temperatures between 32-34 degrees Fahrenheit; temperatures any warmer hasten the berries’ natural breakdown and makes them more susceptible to mold.

Once home the berries should be stored in your refrigerator until ready to rinse and use. All berries should be gently rinsed with cool water and thoroughly drained. Rinse strawberries with the stems on so they don’t absorb additional water. Should you spot any moldy berries, please discard them immediately as mold spreads. Your berries should last from 1-3 days depending on the type purchased. We recommend using your berries as close to the purchase date as possible to ensure the freshest quality.

I hope that this information has provided some insight into the processes that are in place to minimize mold. Again, please accept my apologies regarding your berry purchase and thank you for sharing your concerns.

IOW, complain to the store that sold them, with that email in hand. The store is Driscoll's customer, not you. Driscolls may or may not contact the store, but complaints from both ends may effect a change.

I had my own business, and when one of my customers messed up and misused my product, I had a clause in the contract that allowed me to immediately fire them, retroactive to when they began misuse. It was primarily a CYA clause, and I don't blame the berry company in the slightest for simply explaining and apologizing.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post

I was surprised to see the temperature recommendation of 32 - 34 degrees Fahrenheit given that it is recommended to keep your refrigerator at 35 - 38 degrees (to avoid freezing tender foods like lettuce and, well raspberries). Also - not sure about other grocery stores, but at my grocery, the berries are stacked in refrigerator bins so they are cool, but definitely NOT 32-34 degrees.

Thanks for sharing, though! I think the take home message is don't keep them long in your fridge at home and inspect and rinse well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink