Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 09:50 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times

Advertisements

If you can get it, Kharma Su is some insanely good coffee and pure old school Kona, too.

Otherwise, the everyday coffee we drink here is the canned stuff from Costco or we get some from our neighbor who has it in her backyard. Sometimes we get some from another friend who picks it in the gulches and gets it processed by Long Ears.

Way back when, donkeys were used to carry the bags of coffee cherry down out of the mountains, hence the name 'long ears'. They are a good processing place and they have Hamakua coffee which is usually better than Kona anymore since Kona started using Caturrah coffee instead of the old style, which I think was Guatemalan. The old style coffee has bronze leaves when the new leaves come out. Better quality but less quantity than the new variety they've been planting in Kona.

Kona coffee is not a variety of coffee plant, it's the region it is grown in. It used to be mostly a Guatemalan variety of coffee plant, but now the folks growing it in Kona are switching to a different variety in order to increase the crop yeild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 09:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I've been using Folgers Black Silk pods for years and it comes to approx .50 a cup. I usually only have 1 cup a day but will make a second if my day starts extra early. I probably spend around $200 a yr on coffee

Old 08-18-2022, 06:44 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
$9.60/lb for Dunkin Donuts 30 oz canister. Not cheap but not horrible and consistent.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:00 AM

4,845 posts, read 3,272,992 times
No coffee snob here. Give me regular old canned stuff. Used to be set on Maxwell House, then went with either that or Folgers, which ever was cheaper. One day a few months back it seemed both of those had a huge price jump, along with the downsize of the container, so I got some Great Value label. I can't tell the difference, and my SO ruins it with cream and sugar anyway... so that's what I'm using.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:23 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We use Keurig and buy the pods at Sam’s Club. French roast, 100 for $29.95. $.29 a cup.....used to be $.24.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:26 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Peets major dickasons blend for me. I can usually get it on sale for 7.99 for a 12 ounce small bag. But I see you can get a 2 pounds bag at sams club for $17.
I go through 2 small bags a month.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:16 AM

1,864 posts, read 842,234 times
i have never had a cup of coffee in my life, but we have had people quit because of running out of coffee at work. one guy was so bad he had a full coffee machine in his office and his job was to make sure there was always a hot pot brewing

Old 08-18-2022, 10:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i have never had a cup of coffee in my life, but we have had people quit because of running out of coffee at work. one guy was so bad he had a full coffee machine in his office and his job was to make sure there was always a hot pot brewing
We have free coffee in each of the 4 kitchens in our office, but like most, the service they use is mediocre, and the strength depends on who made it. It's very inconsistent, may be goo, too weak, or too strong depending on the day or time.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:00 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Peets major dickasons blend for me. I can usually get it on sale for 7.99 for a 12 ounce small bag. But I see you can get a 2 pounds bag at sams club for $17.
I go through 2 small bags a month.
Big Bang Peet’s for me. I can get it for eight bucks on sale but the bags are now 10 1/2 ounces. I go through two small bags a month just for me.

Coffee strength is very individual. Most people find what I prefer to be very weak. But it’s what I like so that’s what I drink. I use about 24 ounces of water to three levelish scoops of grounds (a little heaping), and I use a French press. It steeps about 5 minutes while I eat breakfast….

Old 08-18-2022, 01:14 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Way back when, donkeys were used to carry the bags of coffee cherry down out of the mountains, hence the name 'long ears'. They are a good processing place and they have Hamakua coffee which is usually better than Kona anymore since Kona started using Caturrah coffee instead of the old style, which I think was Guatemalan. The old style coffee has bronze leaves when the new leaves come out. Better quality but less quantity than the new variety they've been planting in Kona.

Kona coffee is not a variety of coffee plant, it's the region it is grown in. It used to be mostly a Guatemalan variety of coffee plant, but now the folks growing it in Kona are switching to a different variety in order to increase the crop yeild.
Thank you for your post. Back in the 90's, I knew that Kona coffee was Arabica bean coffee grown on the sides of the volcano on the island of Kona in the state of Hawaii. It was my understanding that the locale where it was grown had as much to do with its superior flavor as to the quality of the coffee plant species.

My guess concerning the decline of Kona coffee was that opportunists, banking on the reputation of Kona coffee, opened a bunch of new farms in areas of Kona away from the original fields, and possibly on other islands in Hawaii as well. I could see the market being flooded with cheaper knock-off coffee beans being sold under the banner of the original branding. Your explanation of the growers switching to a higher-yielding plant that produced lesser quality beans makes more sense than my original assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink