Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 11:59 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

I like Constant Comment, and Earl Grey. My brand recommendation is Paromi. Expensive, but fresh and flavorful.
Has anyone tried Luzianne tea bags for iced tea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 04:34 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
I use a mixture of teas to make iced tea. The blend I like best is 1 bag each of Bigelows Green tea, Irish Breakfast Black, Celestial Orange Peach Passion and Celestial Raspberry Zinger. Juice of 1 lemon and 1 Persian lime, make up volume to 1.5-2Qt, sweeten with Colombian Panela to taste. For afternoon tea and "Bickkies"(usually McVities Digestives), I like Lady Grey!

Old 08-31-2022, 05:04 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Thanks again guys! I'm still checking them out.

elnina, thanks a lot! It's good I started a fresh thread since I'm sure people have learned about other new teas by now, but I'll look through those threads.

I never drank tap water in my entire life anyway. And I used to get bottled water, but for about the last 2 yrs now, I've had my ZeroWater filter.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
For loose tea I like ceylon and darjeeling. Upton has a good tea selection.
I keep tetley teabags on hand for a quick cup.
I drink my tea hot.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:22 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Well, drinking all that cheap super fluoride heavy fanning tea has given me great teeth, no cavities, they are solid as enamel.

But yeah, My family drinks enough tea that I almost always go the cheap route except for special occasions.

Lipton black for my morning tea with cream and sugar, Tetley is OK, but more sensitive to timing, easy to oversteep it.
Red Rose is my favorite for sun tea, nice clean taste and rich copper color, although Lipton works just fine too.
Tetley green and Lipton green alternatively, as I do wear out on the taste of one, then switch to the other.

If I am going to get a more expensive tea, they are normally green teas. High quality macha and sencha are special treats. Not a fan of the Chinese green teas I have tasted, Gunpowder Green tastes like metal to me, the Chinese versions of "sencha" I have tried were not even close to the Japanese stuff, wasted money.

That said, black teas from Yunnan are to die for. Rich with natural fruity flavors, little bitterness or astringency. A good Indian Darjeeling is always appreciated as well, but obviously for the opposite reasons as Yunnan teas. A good Darjeeling should have a flowery taste matched with a nice astringency, but not overpowering.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:32 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I've tried many brands and types of tea. I drink my tea without milk or sugar, so I need the flavor to be distinct.

Generally, I prefer these teas from Twinings and Republic of Tea.

Green Tea/Jasmine (Twinings)
Darjeeling (Twinings)

Ginger Peach Black Tea (Reg & Decaf)
Orange Blossom 100% White Tea
Asian Jasmine 100% White

The Twinings teas are usually available in my regular supermarkets.

Republic of Tea is available in some supermarkets (Whole Foods and Fresh Market) and specialty stores. Otherwise, easy to order online.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:48 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
A good place to buy quality teas (that aren't expensive) are: World Market, Asian and Mediterranean ethnic stores and Halal markets.
Those teas, even when in bags, they are a little higher grade (no dust quality) and the bags aren't closed with a metal staple. (like most of the junk sold at supermarkets).
You can also buy loose leaves (bags and boxes).

That's where I get my teas for daily consumption. They usually have very tasty teas and wide selections.

You need to first buy small samples to see which tea YOU like the most.

This is the place where I go most often. A Mediterranean Market. Rows of rows of great quality teas!!

Last edited by elnina; 08-31-2022 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-31-2022, 06:12 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A good place to buy quality teas (that aren't expensive) are: World Market, Asian and Mediterranean ethnic stores and Halal markets.
Those teas, even when in bags, they are a little higher grade (no dust quality) and the bags aren't closed with a metal staple. (like most of the junk sold at supermarkets).
You can also buy loose leaves (bags and boxes).

That's where I get my teas for daily consumption. They usually have very tasty teas and wide selections.

You need to buy small samples to see which tea YOU like the most.

This is the place where I go most often. A Mediterranean Market. Rows of rows of great quality teas!!

I don't find supermarket tea "junk" as you allege. I find fresh quality with rapid turnover in stock. And the Republic of Tea does not use staples or strings on their tea bags.

One of the problems I encounter with the Asian or "World" markets is that have an inordinate selection of teas, is that there isn't that large a turnover of any one particular tea and I've found that many of the teas are stale. Not all have a Best By date on them.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:02 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
PG Tips, strong, sweet, and milky. It's bliss.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:04 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm a big fan of Newby and Harney & Sons (the hot cinnamon tea is outstanding, and comes in a decaf version). Also, I don't think it's really considered "fancy," but I like Teapigs' Peppermint & Licorice (even though I don't like licorice candy)
My late sister-in-law had a tea shop in Florida, and she did her research before she opened her place and chose Harney & Sons as the tea she served there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink